Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roman Gonzalez Wants Interim-Fight, Trinidad's Father as Trainer!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    Four division world champion Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez (46-2, 38 KOs) said on Thursday that he would like to do a non-title fight, in preparation, for a possible showdown against World Boxing Association (WBA) super flyweight champion Kalid "Kal" Yafai. There is talk that Gonzalez and his team are targeting a fight with Yafai for March 18 of next year.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Oh for fuucks sake. I can actually imagine Trinidad Sr telling Chocolatito that Songrisai is afraid of his power and ready to go just before the fourth round of this last fight.

Felix Trinidad Sr. sucks as a trainer. His super talented son fell into his lap. He hasn't trained a other fighter of note and its been years.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
      Good post. With that said, Gonzalez could keep people off him, at least with volume as you said, at 112 and below. The problem for Gonzalez is not volume vs pot shots, the problem for Gonzalez is that even volume punching, which he still possesses, will not keep the bigger men at 115 off of him, whereas it did at 112 and below.

As for whether single punches at 115 could ever keep opponents deterred, again I agree, usually they wouldn't, but there are cases, like Inoue, who for whatever reason (maybe he's just an amazing talent, or maybe he's an excellent talent combined with draining down from higher weights to make 115), who can definitely keep guys fighting defensive even with just one or two shots.

1000% agree.

I just laughed my ass off picturing a 115 lber or less. Doing a shoulder roll defensive, counter punching style at this weight class??? When they average more than a 1000 blows a fight??? Like the other poster sugested.

Im not saying it can't be done??? I'm just meaning I've NEVER seen it successfully done...I've seen slight variations of it end in epic failure many, many times though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
        You cant keep ANYONE off you at this weight class. You would literary be a punching bag trying to block and nothing else with Floyd's style. Because you wouldnt have time to even punch. And they're NOT scared of 1-2 punches against 115 lbers. They do their damage in volume not defense and counter punching.
        Floyd was economical with his punches only when he got older.

Look at the Pretty Boy era...rock solid defense with beautiful multi-punch combinations. Oscar De La Hoya showed some of that as well under Floyd Sr, see the Fernando Vargas fight for example.

But Chocolatito would need a long time to learn that style and make it comfortable for him. It wouldn't happen overnight or after just one training camp.

Comment

before his last defeat, I had said that I wanted him to lose. Not because I hate him, but because I like him and was a fan. because had he won, he probably would have fought Inoue. And I knew nothing good would come from that fight but a one sided career ending beat down.
          Last edited by buddyr; 10-06-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
            Good post. With that said, Gonzalez could keep people off him, at least with volume as you said, at 112 and below. The problem for Gonzalez is not volume vs pot shots, the problem for Gonzalez is that even volume punching, which he still possesses, will not keep the bigger men at 115 off of him, whereas it did at 112 and below.

As for whether single punches at 115 could ever keep opponents deterred, again I agree, usually they wouldn't, but there are cases, like Inoue, who for whatever reason (maybe he's just an amazing talent, or maybe he's an excellent talent combined with draining down from higher weights to make 115), who can definitely keep guys fighting defensive even with just one or two shots.

Bigger guys? It'a 3 pounds. The fact is that he is fighting guys his size now. He was bigger than a lot of the 112 fighters and by that I mean that he was cutting down from around 130. He was 122 lbs at his 30 day weigh in in his last fight.

Comment

Just don't televise it. The last thing we need to be doing is televising little man tune up bouts

Comment

Originally posted by Dramacyde View Post
                He should go to Floyd Sr
                You want Choco to get disabled, do ya?

Comment

Originally posted by yankees7448 View Post
                  Felix Trinidad Sr. sucks as a trainer. His super talented son fell into his lap. He hasn't trained a other fighter of note and its been years.
                  Big fan of Tito, probably my favorite all time fighter, but who the f#ck did his dad train besides Tito? Is he training anyone currently of note? How the f#ck did Roman & Tito Sr even get together? Seems like a weird pairing, but maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Big fan of Tito, probably my favorite all time fighter, but who the f#ck did his dad train besides Tito? Is he training anyone currently of note
                    Did some research, he trained:

Nelson Dieppa (WBO Light Flyweight champ 2001-2005)

Fres Oquendo (Heavyweight '97-'14)
                    -Best win: 42 year old Bruce Seldon
                    -Challenged Chagaev, Ruiz, and Byrd for a title

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                      Did some research, he trained:

Nelson Dieppa (WBO Light Flyweight champ 2001-2005)

Fres Oquendo (Heavyweight '97-'14)
                      -Best win: 42 year old Bruce Seldon
                      -Challenged Chagaev, Ruiz, and Byrd for a title
                      LOL. This is a weird f#cking decision by Roman.

Guess Tito Sr must said the right thing or got some sorta high level referral or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X