No announcement yet.

Canelo biggest star in boxing currently

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
    AJ does more PPV's than Canelo in a much smaller country. He can also sell 80,000 capacity stadiums out against people like Pulev.

Nobody outside of Mexico and some Americans care about Canelo.

The truth is, both are only really stars in the countries they're based or fighting. Neither are global sporting stars. Boxing just isn't a mainstream sport worldwide and it's basically a niche sport in most countries apart from a few obvious ones.
    Do you think Canelo can sell 80,000 in his home country like Joshua does in his?

Comment

Canelo is a good fighter, he's Mexican that tries to be slick brotha style . I don't like him, but I respect what he did on saturday. Ggg won and poster boy gets to shine on. That's boxing, it's sad cuz u actually expect those results.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
        People watched Canelo v GGG and Floyd because of the event and matchup as a whole. Nobody cared about Canelo v Khan, Chavez or Cotto at all in the UK, they went completely under the radar.

Anyway Joshua's stadium fights to some cheap tickets at £40. Canelo's stadium fights do tickets at $40, which is cheaper than £40. Actually Canelo v Kirkland had some ticket prices at $10 lol. You would barely be able to buy a beer at a Joshua fight for $10.

Joshua's fights in indoor venues like the o2 will be similar to an indoor Canelo fight too.

Anyway i'm no Joshua fan. The point i was making was that neither are global stars. They're just stars in the countries they're from or fighting in and that's about it.
        Again why you bringing up Kirkland that ain't even a top 10 big fight for canelo it wasnt even ppv. Stop trying to compare apples to oranges that's like me comparing what bum joshua fought 10 fights ago. Canelo biggest fights aren't in stadiums you idiot and I gave you the prices of his last stadium fight against smith. Smith a nobody not even a top fight for canelo yet those ticket prices were on par with joshua biggest fight of his career. Think about that for a second. Joshua biggest fights are on canelo level with smith type fights not Canelo's big fights. You embarrassing yourself just stop I already broke out the numbers to show you the gap in the levels of revenue both guys draw. Joshua biggest fight aired middle of the day and did nothing ratings in the US. You brits stay up late really late just to watch canelos big fights. lol More fools in the UK know and care about canelo then people in the US know and care about joshua. Sorry if that bothers you and sorry canelo PPVs draw infinite more money then joshua little 20 dollar ppvs. Hell with taxes you had to pay more then that just to watch canelo fight GGG in the movie thearters on saturday. Can you even watch joshua fights in a movie theater?
        Last edited by bigdunny1; 09-19-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Just be happy the sport is in good hands. I was a little worried after Floyd and Manny were winding down their careers, but boxing will be A OK worth Canelo, AJ, Spence and the like leading the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            Do you think Canelo can sell 80,000 in his home country like Joshua does in his?
            Absolutely. People are being selective about what i'm saying. I said Canelo is a big name in his own country, and fairly popular in USA where he fights. Just as Joshua is in the UK.

My point was that neither are crossover worldwide stars. They're only big names in their respective countries of where they're from or fighting and that's about it. Very few people care about Joshua outside of the UK, just like nobody really cares about Canelo here, hence why nobody watches his fights unless he's fighting someone like Floyd. Even the Canelo v GGG fight went somewhat under the radar here, Sky didn't even bother picking it up which didn't help because every other broadcaster doesn't promote the fights well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              Easily.

Chavez sr did 135k in Mexico.

Canelo can do 80k no problemo

Comment

Originally posted by Pandur View Post
                Anthony Joshua is way bigger than Canelo worldwide.
                Canelo is bigger in North & South America.

But Joshua is way bigger than Canelo in Africa & Europe.
                I think more people now Joshua in the USA than Canelo in Europe.
                This. And eventually Joshua will become massive in America as well. Most of the world speaks English, Canelo would do himself a lot of favours learning English.

Joshua is a HW which is in his favour and knocks opponents the **** out.

Comment

It's Joshua, and if he's not he will be soon. Being an English speaker is a huge boost to his profile.

Canelo's big in Central, South, and USA. Basically the Spanish speaking diaspora. Joshua is known in the English speaking diaspora(UK, North America, Australia, etc...), non-English speaking parts of Europe, and wherever his people are from in Africa(I think Nigeria).

Comment

Working...
                  X