No announcement yet.

People thought ggg could actually compete with Ward, my god

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
    He gave canelo some problems aswell, didnt he ?
    Sure, but as I just said in another thread, it's mainly due to stamina issues...without it? golovkin won't make it 12 with that kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Xi_ View Post
      Ggg doesnt get a pass....he arguably lost to a guy coming up in weight. He is not a great fighter at all.....good but not great.
      He arguably beat a guy coming down in weight

Comment

that's like saying if that crack bum knocked down Ward then GGG will KHTFO.

btw GGG won that fight. If the fight was in his hometown with hometown refs like Ward all his fights, he would've won just like Ward does in many of his close fights. just LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
          I remember that. Loeffler did indeed keep Ward's name out his mouth until Ward mentioned GGG again. And none of that, not 154-168, not Froch, not Chavez Jr (That's just fuçking laughable to even compare), has any real bearing on the fact that the 168 champ didn't want to meet the 160 champ halfway.
          Why? Then surely you must think it was absurd that last night's fight could've been made much earlier at say 157 right?

You also cannot tell me with any reason or logic that golovkin could've won a fight vs Ward. 164? Coming off a multi year layoff? Golovkin was fighting 3-4 times a year. P4p means he can jump a class and still be effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I don't think many non-fanboys thought that. The fanboys think GGG KO's Joshua probably...and hell they might still think that today. Fanboys opinions don't matter doe. Why people give the craziest opinion people of a fighter so much attention I'll never understand. Boxing fans always with the extremes lol. Either mfers taking extreme opinions or talking about the extreme opinions too much when those cats are the tiny minority of fans of any particular guy.
            Its about styles as much as anything else. For example what makes a great fighter is one that can adjust to different styles because they can do more things. With that said GGG is cut from what I call the energizer bunny archetype, he keeps going and going lol. Fighters like GGG would come from standards set by one of two ATG fighters: Robinson and Armstrong.

Armstrong never let up for a round! Thats the way GGG fights. With that said there are things he just does not do (more on WArd in a second)... I get called crazy but to me GGG chased Cannelo around more than cutting the ring and setting him up for a big punch. The effect was to deliver arm punches and punches that did not always have much mustard on them. I thought GGG won but Canelo impressed me more last night of the two.

When Canelo fights he has very good hand speed but he has no fitness and he reacts to his opponent instead of setting a trap a lot of times. There are flashes of brilliance there though! His ability to take that step to avoid a punch at an awkward angle was brilliant. When he does counter he has real counter punch ability to catch his guy before the guy's punch completes with his sliding check hook (did he learn that from Floyd). Canelo has to fight 3 minutes of a round to be great though and he has to do things in the ring that discourage a puncher more.

Ward does many more things in the ring than these two guys. Ward makes adjustments in the ring as well. Ward is a much better fighter and makes it look relatively easy to go up in weight and beat a big puncher. For example, the gif everyone has of Ward setting Kovalev up for that game ender in the second fight! Ward is set up for the punch and can deliver it with complete commitment, instead of chasing after the opponent and arm punching.

I don't think you can compare Ward. Ward truly is an ATG I think in many ways he overshadows Floyd frankly. Floyd might be the one guy around today that is a more accurate puncher than Ward, Ward has a complete dimension Floyd is missing though, the inside game, both guys are great defensively, but look how Floyd struggles going up in weight while Ward makes the proper adjustments in spacing and in strategy. Thats the basis for my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
              Yeah, I can't believe Ward was too chicken sh it to drop 4 lbs when he was 168

Ward moved up a weight class and fought and beat the best there.

GGG has camped out at middleweight his entire career and fought smaller men coming up. The best win of his career is over a guy who jumped two weight classes to fight him. GGG has never had the balls to move up a single weight class.

Comment

Well I guess we'll never know for sure if Ward could beat GGG (or any top fighter) in a fair fight since he doesn't seem willing to fight in a neutral arena / venue. Only if Ward beats GGG in a neutral arena / venue in a fair fight would I give Ward credit. Golovkin has been the one to fight in his opponent's backyard and turf on a consistent basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Metho_4u View Post
                  Why? Then surely you must think it was absurd that last night's fight could've been made much earlier at say 157 right?

You also cannot tell me with any reason or logic that golovkin could've won a fight vs Ward. 164? Coming off a multi year layoff? Golovkin was fighting 3-4 times a year. P4p means he can jump a class and still be effective.
                  Last nights fight was between 2 MW champs. No need for a CW.

Like you say, p4p means you can jump a class and be effective. Why couldn't Ward jump halfway to meet another p4p fighter? I mean, isn't that the whole premise behind p4p...if the guys were the same size... So why wouldn't we want two p4p guys meeting in the middle, rather than have the smaller guy being the only one to move in weight?

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                    Ward moved up a weight class and fought and beat the best there.

GGG has camped out at middleweight his entire career and fought smaller men coming up. The best win of his career is over a guy who jumped two weight classes to fight him. GGG has never had the balls to move up a single weight class.
                    None of this addresses in any way shape or form why Andre was unwilling to meet a man in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                      If it had happened back when hbo sat them at 168 why wouldnt he give him a fight? If arthur abraham can give ward a fight golovkin can. Golovkin is as good skill wise as anyone ward has fought, more so even, both olympians, ward has a size advantage sure, but ward also has weaknesses like being one handed for the most part, open to jabs (much more so than golovkin), it'd be a tough fight, I wouldnt rule out golovkin being able to win if he worked the body adequately which he did much more a couple of years ago. Some of you are seriously stupid and ignorant of the sport.

Ofcourse now its different, ward is considerably bigger, and golovkin is old.
                      Ward a one hand fighter? explain that please? For the most part is not really an explanation lol. Golovkin's skill is not the issue, yes he is as good as the other top middle weights and light heavies right now...but your next statement? thats a real kicker! you seem to think GGG can beat Ward to the body. Come on man... if I didn't know any better I would think we are talking about Wards other brother, lets call him sam: a one armed fighter with limited skills to the body lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X