Clear All

• No Idea How Some Folks Score A Fight

It isn't rocket science, folks.

4 Criteria:

Ring Generalship
    Effective Aggression
    Defense
    Hard Clean Punches

I gave Golovkin Ring Generalship. He dictated the pace and how the fight was fought. But, it is the only one of the 4 criteria he won.

Canelo was not aggressive, seeking to move and counter. But, while Golovkin did cut the ring off beautifully all night, there often was zero payoff when he trapped Canelo on the ropes. I think this was the biggest factor in the fight. Golovkin had mixed results at best when he got Canelo where he wanted him.

When it comes to Defense, it isn't close. Saul constantly thwarted Golovkin when Gennady got close, blocking most of what Golovkin threw, and rolling most of what got thru. By contrast, it seemed that Canelo could flurry and throw in combination whenever he got ready- granted, there were rounds where he did not throw as much as he should have.

Hard Clean Punches was won far and away by Canelo. The fact that Golovkin walked right thru most of them doesn't mean you do not score them. And while Golovkin did land some heavy shots of his own, they were not as clean as Saul's shots nor did they come as often as Canelos. Gennady did display an pretty effective jab at times, but it was also often superfluous as Canelo was moving away too much of the time for it to score as landed.

I had it 7 rounds to 5 for Canelo.

Saul won rounds 1 thru 4, round 6, and the championship rounds 11 and 12.

I had Golovkin taking 5, and rounds 7 thru 10.

3 of the rounds I gave Golovkin (5,7, and 10) were close enough to have been scored the other way.

Only one of the rounds I gave Canelo (4) might have gone for Golovkin.

My guess is in the rematch, Canelo will win a clear and wide decision.

One thing he can do is get in good enough shape to throw more punches more often- which I grant may be much harder than it sounds.

The other thing he can do is look to flurry, then tie up Golovkin more often, keeping things in the middle of the ring more.

P.S.- I can't help thinking that what Jacobs did to Golovkin is looking better all the time.

P.S. II- I know folks are up in arms over Adelaide Byrd's scorecard. 118-110 is absurd. But, that doesn't mean you could not score the fight for Canelo. If she had turned in a card of 115-113 for Saul, we would have the same result. Let's not get so carried away by what is clearly a corrupt or inept judge that we lose sight of the fact that, of the many possible outcomes, a draw was quite within the realm of acceptability.
    Last edited by koolkc107; 09-17-2017, 07:29 AM.

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post

4 Criteria:

Ring Generalship
    Effective Aggression
    Defense
    Hard Clean Punches

I gave Golovkin Ring Generalship. He dictated the pace and how the fight was fought. But, it is the only one of the 4 criteria he won.

Canelo was not aggressive, seeking to move and counter. But, while Golovkin did cut the ring off beautifully all night, there often was zero payoff when he trapped Canelo on the ropes. I think this was the biggest factor in the fight. Golovkin had mixed results at best when he got Canelo where he wanted him.

When it comes to Defense, it isn't close. Saul constantly thwarted Golovkin when Gennady got close, blocking most of what Golovkin threw, and rolling most of what got thru. By contrast, it seemed that Canelo could flurry and throw in combination whenever he got ready- granted, there were rounds where he did not throw as much as he should have.

Hard Clean Punches was won far and away by Canelo. The fact that Golovkin walked right thru most of them doesn't mean you do not score them. And while Golovkin did land some heavy shots of his own, they were not as clean as Saul's shots nor did they come as often as Canelos. Gennady did display an pretty effective jab at times, but it was also often superfluous as Canelo was moving away too much of the time for it to score as landed.

3 of the rounds I gave Golovkin (5,7, and 10) were close enough to have been scored the other way.

One thing he can do is get in good enough shape to throw more punches more often- which I grant may be much harder than it sounds.

The other thing he can do is look to flurry, then tie up Golovkin more often, keeping things in the middle of the ring more.

P.S.- I can't help thinking that what Jacobs did to Golovkin is looking better all the time.

so you basically had a draw because there is no way that canelo won the 4th round. that was the round that changed the tide towards ggg

Comment

4 Criteria:

Ring Generalship
      Effective Aggression
      Defense
      Hard Clean Punches

yeah, the vast majority of rounds....

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
        so you basically had a draw because there is no way that canelo won the 4th round. that was the round that changed the tide towards ggg
        Maybe, but there are 3 rounds I gave Golovkin that could have went to Canelo.

A draw is an acceptable outcome, even in spite of one judges crazy score.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
          yeah, the vast majority of rounds....
          7 of 12 rounds, Canelo landed more power shots.

And they were clean, sharp, hard punches.

Definitely enough to win some rounds.

Comment

Fight wasn't a draw. Hard to give canelo 6 rounds. I had it 116-113 for golovkin. Just because it was a close fight doesn't mean you reward a someone with a draw. Canelita fought in spurts. He didn't do enough. Golovkin walked him down.

Comment

7 of 12 rounds, Canelo landed more power shots.

And they were clean, sharp, hard punches.

Definitely enough to win some rounds.
              He fought in spurts. You need to lay off the pipe if you think canelo won 6 rounds against golovkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Brz_Pugilist View Post
                He fought in spurts. You need to lay off the pipe if you think canelo won 6 rounds against golovkin.
                I thought he won 7 and possibly 8 just as he contends.

I don't give points simply for coming forward.

You have to land effective punches when you do so also.

In my opinion, Golovkin did not land a lot of effective punches even if he touched Saul a little more most rounds.

The best, cleanest, hard punches where invariably landed by Canelo, and he landed more of them.

Comment

Canelo's aggression wasn't effective...

How can it be effective if Golovkin kept marching forward and outworking him?

You aren't the first to claim no-one else knows how to score a fight because it differs from your own view, and sadly you won't be the last

Comment

Exactly why I had Canelo winning.

The cleaner shots were ALL Canelo, especially to the body, can't stress that enough. ggg's only consistent punch throughout the fight was his jab.

I keep seeing people not scoring body punching over and over and over again, Canelo absolutely dominated that category.

On the ropes he was effectively countering and picking off ggg's shots, in the middle of the ring he was constantly winning the exchanges and snapping g's head back.

Comment

Working...
                    X