Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Can Golovkin Win a Decision Over Canelo Alvarez in Vegas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
    Firstly Canelo fights nothing like Jacobs, and his footwork is ten fold better than Canelo's.

You talk of footwork like it's not overly important, let me ask you this, who do you consider to have better footwork, Jacobs or Canelo ?

I expect Golovkin to fight Canelo like he did Lemieux, respective of his power but utilising his superior footwork to marshall him where he wants him and unload the heavy artillery, to the body and head as Golovkin does punishing Canelo heavily as he as all his opposition with poor mobility. The only guy who's really exploited Golovkin's stamina and conditioning is Jacobs and that's really down to his mobility and ability to evade being marshalled around like all previous Golovkin opposition.

Expect Golovkin to jab to the body due to Canelo's superior, highly skilled fluid upper body movement, making him slow later, I actually think Golovkin will stop Canelo with a body shot, Canelo can not possibly be accustomed to the power GGG brings.
    I never compared Alvarez footwork to Jacobs and won't even try to. Just noting that footwork is more than covering ground around the ring. As far as strategy is concerned...I too expect a strategy similar to that used against Lemieux. However Alvarez is much better at defense and counter punching so I don't anticipate as much aggression off the jab from Golovkin. No matter how it is spun...Alvarez is the best opponent Golovkin has faced so it's a bit of a stretch to believe he will look the same as he has versus low level competition. The two times he fought top competition he has looked beatable.

Comment

Good article, but Golovkin and his team can't be surprised they'll have known that canelo has always been well looked after by judges.

I'm still not overly sure but I'm sticking to my original prediction in that it's a very very competitive fight for 6 rounds and the Golovkin takes over in the second half...I also think GBP's matchmaking of canelo in the last few years may come back to bite as well in this fight as they may find canelo doesn't look as spectacular as he had been recently.

Either way I can't wait, I just hope both aren't overly cautious and that the fight doesn't get dogged by controversy.

Comment

A knockout earns GGG a draw in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
          I never compared Alvarez footwork to Jacobs and won't even try to. Just noting that footwork is more than covering ground around the ring. As far as strategy is concerned...I too expect a strategy similar to that used against Lemieux. However Alvarez is much better at defense and counter punching so I don't anticipate as much aggression off the jab from Golovkin. No matter how it is spun...Alvarez is the best opponent Golovkin has faced so it's a bit of a stretch to believe he will look the same as he has versus low level competition. The two times he fought top competition he has looked beatable.
          Not true, Jacobs is by far the best he's ever fought and tomorrow night will emphasise this even more for the fools who can't see it.

I didn't say you compared their footwork I said let me ask you a question, I'll ask again, who do you feel has better footwork Canelo or Jacobs ?

We can discuss footwork all night which is pointless as superior footwork isn't what will win GGG the fight, his superior durability, power, punch variation and foot work will.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
            I think that Canelo could squeak out a close decision win but I think there's no chance he's stopping Golovkin.

we were touching on that on the other thread.....

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
            most insiders seem to be recognizing Alvarez as the more skilled fighter, while some are still riding with the power

Jacobs has a better/more dangerous, single-shot than Canelo, coming off his back hand..... but the red kid is definitely the better/more effective puncher

for Golovkin, this will be a more gruelling night than with Jacobs..... and he could find himself in an intense firefight down the stretch

each fighter will need to be sharp when they feel the other guy starting to get his second wind

boxing is a young man's game

the better/smarter fighter will win

Alvarez UD12..... although, I think that Golovkin is going to get some of his own treatment in this fight..... he is going to be hurt, most likely to the body, and he is going to be pushed very hard physically..... I want to see how those 36yo legs look down the stretch

we haven't seen that from him yet, and nope we did not really see that against Jacobs

that was tough, sure..... but Jacobs did not really drag Gennady too far away from his comfort zone

if the red kid can get him hesitant/wary, and struggling to commit, like Jacobs did..... and Golovkin starts to fatigue..... and Canelo can keep the pressure on and even find that extra gear.....

boxing is a young man's game, and this appears to be Canelo's time

the better/smarter fighter will win

Comment

Originally posted by bronx7 View Post
              No history shows ggg will out jab him has most landed and effective will out throw and out land def power shots. Canello will land more combos move around better but because of slow feet will have to engage in large spots

they have never fought

there is no history

Comment

Originally posted by kushking View Post
                Your the 1st ggg fan I've seen that uses actual statistics to back up your pov,but you have to remember something canelo fought much more elusive fleet footed,good defense having boxers than ggg before when outjabbed & those stats are very misleading as oftentimes when a fighter is outjabbed its because compubox counts every weak ass punch that barely touches/even misses. And if you look at those fights you'll notice 1 thing canelo lands flashy power combos which rightfully get more points than fighters like lara/trout throwing weak jabs to keep range that canelo uses head movement/torso movement to slip more times than not.

yep, boxing is not a math's game

adding up previous percentages is pointless

1) Canelo has faced world-class fighters, Golovkin has not
                2) it depends how their styles/skills mesh

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                  most likely.....

a hard-fought, close, possibly-controversial, 12-round decision

I am leaning more and more toward Canelo

I was 55/45, now I am 60-40

Golovkin could stop Canelo late..... and get this, Canelo could stop Golovkin late as well

but I have a number of reasons to go with Canelo UD12 now

and it may not be that close or controversial, but I would not be surprised

if you want to use my info for betting, you're nuts

anything could happen in that fight, I wouldn't touch it
                  I'm leaning toward Golovkin in this one. I think if he's on point he will break Canelo down and make him doubt himself. I think Golovkin's experience with big punchers (like Stevens, Lemieux, and Jacobs) will help if they start trading punches. Unless Golovkin has an off night he should be competitive if they both box. I have a hard time seeing Canelo being consistent for 12 rounds and Golovkin failing to capitalize if or when he slows down.

Jacobs fought an almost perfect fight to have the success he did against Golovkin. I don't think I've ever seen a definitive game plan in any of Canelo's past fights.

I don't have a dog in this fight so I'm being neutral. However, I would love to see Canelo shut a lot the Golovkin fans up for good but I have to call it like I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                    I'm leaning toward Golovkin in this one. I think if he's on point he will break Canelo down and make him doubt himself. I think Golovkin's experience with big punchers (like Stevens, Lemieux, and Jacobs) will help if they start trading punches. Unless Golovkin has an off night he should be competitive if they both box. I have a hard time seeing Canelo being consistent for 12 rounds and Golovkin failing to capitalize if or when he slows down.

Jacobs fought an almost perfect fight to have the success he did against Golovkin. I don't think I've ever seen a definitive game plan in any of Canelo's past fights.

I don't have a dog in this fight so I'm being neutral. However, I would love to see Canelo shut a lot the Golovkin fans up for good but I have to call it like I see it.

fair call, some good points there

I think that Canelo is a better boxer than Golovkin, and edges him in most departments..... one perspective is, how will Canelo deal with Golovkin's jab..... another perspective is, if Golovkin is not dominant with his jab then he is in trouble

we will see

Golovkin's experiences with Stevens/Lemieux will not help him much..... he was levels above those guys, they could never get their game going..... neither of those guys hit him with their best punch

Canelo is MUCH better than either of those guys, he is levels above them, therefore a more-effective puncher than both

it's gonna be a great fight that's for sure

keep your money in your pocket

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post

You sound totally fair in your assessment even if I think canelo wins I acknowledge that ggg is very skilled but I see him as being too inexperienced for a stage this big,he has less than half rds fought as canelo in pro fights & he lost last 3 rds vs jacobs on all cards except 1 who gave him rd 10. Ggg is too green in championship rds vs championship fighters,& I sincerely doubt he blasts out canelo as canelo is far more skilled in every way than Murray (who I am a fan also) & has better jaw by far than jacobs,so if it took til rd 11 vs murray & UD vs jacobs,he took 7 rds to blast out rosado in gggs supposed prime whom angulo kod in 2. I would bet my house on canelo not being kod as hes gggs best opponent by far & only p4p opponent,& if he can't ko canelo hell lose to guy with slicker defense imo.

But I tip my hat off to you as if gggfans behaved like u then ggg wouldn't be as disliked imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X