Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Can Golovkin Win a Decision Over Canelo Alvarez in Vegas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
    Golovkin's jab is as heavy as any power punch Canelo has ever faced in the ring, by a wide margin, evading the jab is only the beginning. Golovkin should have this with his punch variety coupled with Canelo awful footwork.
    I wouldn't say Alvarez footwork is terrible. Footwork seems to be read as the ability to move around the ring without getting trapped. I view it as just positioning...whether to evade or counter. To me he excels at shifting his weight to counter. As for the heavy jab...well Jacobs ate his fill and lived to tell about it and he's considered chinny. So I think he will look to parry the jab and deliver a body blow to discourage Golovkin from throwing the jab freely and with power.

To me...Golovkin isn't as likely to trade as most think. Especially if he us missing and being countered with accurate punches.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
      Who do you favour the clear victor ?
      My guess is a valid as anyone elses, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was talk about whether Canelo was over-rated at the end.

I'm mainly driven by Canelo not having fought any prime A listers since 2014, so the period 2014-2017 where he has matured and improved, he's never actually been tested. Plus he's at a weight he hasn't seen before (fighting someone who hits back that is), and he's going to get hit harder and more frequently than anything he's felt before.

So Canelo at this weight and against this level of opposition is an unknown, and by picking Golovkin I'm just siding with the one who has previously proved themselves at this level and weight.

I also thought DLH was too big for Pac and would beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
        My guess is a valid as anyone elses, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was talk about whether Canelo was over-rated at the end.

I'm mainly driven by Canelo not having fought any prime A listers since 2014, so the period 2014-2017 where he has matured and improved, he's never actually been tested. Plus he's at a weight he hasn't seen before (fighting someone who hits back that is), and he's going to get hit harder and more frequently than anything he's felt before.

So Canelo at this weight and against this level of opposition is an unknown, and by picking Golovkin I'm just siding with the one who has previously proved themselves at this level and weight.

I also thought DLH was too big for Pac and would beat him.
        Canelo hasn't the fitness, speed or stamina to replicate what Pac brought against Oscar, I see where you're coming from though.

I've been reiterating you don't jump up a weight class and dive in with the best without testing the waters against at least a B level opponent before hand, as you say Canelo isn't prepared. If he'd fought against say a Macklin or Murray first I'd give him a better chance I can see why he hasn't faced the like of Lemieux or Jacobs, he'd lose as I expect he will versus Golovkin.

It's going to really hinder him having not fought a live dog whilst at 155, facing welters, junior middles and general nobodies (Liam Smith) at 155 doesn't help you in the least when finally fighting at the full weight against the biggest puncher and best boxer in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
          I wouldn't say Alvarez footwork is terrible. Footwork seems to be read as the ability to move around the ring without getting trapped. I view it as just positioning...whether to evade or counter. To me he excels at shifting his weight to counter. As for the heavy jab...well Jacobs ate his fill and lived to tell about it and he's considered chinny. So I think he will look to parry the jab and deliver a body blow to discourage Golovkin from throwing the jab freely and with power.

To me...Golovkin isn't as likely to trade as most think. Especially if he us missing and being countered with accurate punches.
          Firstly Canelo fights nothing like Jacobs, and his footwork is ten fold better than Canelo's.

You talk of footwork like it's not overly important, let me ask you this, who do you consider to have better footwork, Jacobs or Canelo ?

I expect Golovkin to fight Canelo like he did Lemieux, respective of his power but utilising his superior footwork to marshall him where he wants him and unload the heavy artillery, to the body and head as Golovkin does punishing Canelo heavily as he as all his opposition with poor mobility. The only guy who's really exploited Golovkin's stamina and conditioning is Jacobs and that's really down to his mobility and ability to evade being marshalled around like all previous Golovkin opposition.

Expect Golovkin to jab to the body due to Canelo's superior, highly skilled fluid upper body movement, making him slow later, I actually think Golovkin will stop Canelo with a body shot, Canelo can not possibly be accustomed to the power GGG brings.

Comment

Huh?

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
            Just about everyone? No matter what happens in the ring? You're making some wide sweeping assumptions.

To me, it just feels like the Golovkin fans are preparing the corruption excuse in case he loses a decision. Particularly since he just barely won a close decision against Jacobs.

Golovkin best chance to win is by KO, but for boxing reasons too. Alvarez has the better tactical team. He has the benefit of the Brook, Stevens and Lemieux film. Can Golovkin pick up anything from Khan or Mayweather. Maybe Smith. Bottom line decisions favor the guy with the most tools in his tool bag and that's Alvarez. It will take knock downs for Golovkin to win a decision.
            HuH!! You do follow boxing don't you!!! Don't want to shock or upset you but tainted decisions are what boxing is about. Not making excuses just citing facts. Anyone who has followed the politics and decisions of boxing in the last 50 years knows that GGG has the harder job Saturday night, he has fewer options to legitimately win this fight and yess! Call it what you want if their was a betting line in Vegas as to which fighter could lose the fight and win the decision ALL the smart money would be on Canelo. That being said I still favor Golovkin in this fight. There is a reason Dela Hoya has protected Canelo and kept him away from any real punchers unless they were shot or much smaller. Canelo proved how "hard : he punches against bigger fighters when he pounded on Chavez the human punching bag for 12 rounds and did nothing. lets see how he does against someone who punches back now or doesn't have a glass jaw. Gonna be an awesome fight. Real winners are gonna be the fans I hope

Comment

Originally posted by OmarRueben View Post
              I was loved very much and lived in a privileged area and attended all white private schools. Thankfully my educated parents shielded us kids from being exposed or infected by those not as fortunate and doomed to failure and poverty. Get it?
              Get it?
              O i see it...

Comment

Absolutely not. Unless of course it's pure domination, but even then, Canelo managed to get a draw on one scorecard against Mayweather and he was absolutely dominated in that fight.

1. If this fight is super close, Canelo gets the decision.

2. If this fight is fairly close, Canelo gets the decision.

3. If this fight is clear win for Golovkin, Canelo gets decision.

4. If Golovkin dominates the majority of rounds, Canelo gets the decision.

5. If Golovkin dominates every round, knocking Canelo down in at least one of those rounds, Golovkin gets the decision.

Trout - open scoring, very wide decision win for Canelo despite being very close.

Lara - very close fight, Canelo gets decision.

Cotto - close fight Canelo gets wide decision.

Floyd - loses essentially every round, managed to get a draw on one card and loses by MD.

So we know without a doubt beating Canelo by decision is nearly impossible - one would have to be even more popular than him to win, which is Floyd. Golovkin is the biggest he'll ever be and he's 35 years old. If the opportunity is there, they'll certainly give the nod to Golovkin.

Note: I think this is a 50/50 fight and Canelo could very well knock Golovkin out or legit win a decision in a great performance. Likewise I can see Golovkin winning by knockout. I just cannot see a decision going Golovkins way unless he's absolutely perfect and pitches damn near a shutout, which simply will not happen because of the styles and mentality (both guys will bring the pain and both are going to try and hurt/ko each other).

Comment

Yep.

Golovkin will NOT win any rounds where he doesn't drop Canelo. No way. He HAS to stop Canelo to win this fight. No question about it.

Which is why my official pick is "Canelo by controversial decision." Absolutely.

Comment

On the one hand, I definitely think GGG will need a knockdown or two in order to secure a victory by decision. No way he gets a decision victory without a 10-8 round or two in his favor.

On the other hand, De La Hoya has been screwed over by judges during his career, so this could also work against him as a promoter now. I do know that Moretti and Byrd are two of the judges, so look for a controversial decision regardless of what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemax View Post
                      HuH!! You do follow boxing don't you!!! Don't want to shock or upset you but tainted decisions are what boxing is about. Not making excuses just citing facts. Anyone who has followed the politics and decisions of boxing in the last 50 years knows that GGG has the harder job Saturday night, he has fewer options to legitimately win this fight and yess! Call it what you want if their was a betting line in Vegas as to which fighter could lose the fight and win the decision ALL the smart money would be on Canelo. That being said I still favor Golovkin in this fight. There is a reason Dela Hoya has protected Canelo and kept him away from any real punchers unless they were shot or much smaller. Canelo proved how "hard : he punches against bigger fighters when he pounded on Chavez the human punching bag for 12 rounds and did nothing. lets see how he does against someone who punches back now or doesn't have a glass jaw. Gonna be an awesome fight. Real winners are gonna be the fans I hope
                      Bottom line...Alvarez can win a decision legitimately, yet no one is acknowledging that. Never inferred that bad decisions haven't occurred throughout history.

Comment

Working...
                      X