No announcement yet.

Ward Beats Usyk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
    Ward has had enough of the Eastern Bloc fighters. He may have two wins over Kovalev, but it was no cake walk for him. That's why he retired.
    We would have to see how Usyk-Bellew plays out first, as it seems like that's what is next.

I give Bellew a better shot then Gassiev. Also a win over Bellew would give Usyk a raise in status (in terms of draw power) to make the fight financially viable enough to possibly lure Andre Ward out of retirement. If Ward partners with Eddie Hearn, possibly even in the UK on ppv.

Comment

• Originally posted by lolpz View Post
      We would have to see how Usyk-Bellew plays out first, as it seems like that's what is next.

I give Bellew a better shot then Gassiev. Also a win over Bellew would give Usyk a raise in status (in terms of draw power) to make the fight financially viable enough to possibly lure Andre Ward out of retirement. If Ward partners with Eddie Hearn, possibly even in the UK on ppv.
      Ward doesn't have much to go on in terms of commanding big cash to come out of retirement. He is very far from being PPV star, having only two under-performing PPVs, against the same opponent to speak of.

Comment

Ward doesn't have much to go on in terms of commanding big cash to come out of retirement. He is very far from being PPV star, having only two under-performing PPVs, against the same opponent to speak of.
        I mean I understand where you are coming from, I don't think Ward is really "deserving" of the paydays he's gotten in terms of how big of a draw he is.

BUT we must recognize that he did receive those purses to begin with. And it wouldn't make sense to make anything less than he was previously making at this stage of his career, with his resume and accomplishments, and as the #1 p4p fighter in the world.

In fact, him not being as big of a star today as his resume would say - he put a lot of this blame on his promoter. This is why he was trying to break free from that contract for so long and go a different route. He admits himself though, he may not be the most flashy or outspoken or give the media what they want, he refuses to be the guy they want him to be so he takes blame for it as well. He's even admitted to not liking spotlight also, but his resume and skills speak for themselves.

Personally, when he faced tough competition I enjoyed all of his fights, they were not boring to me. I think people are bit too hard on him in this regard, the man cleaned out a stacked division convincingly then moved up in weight and beat the best fighter in that division twice. Now he's trying to move up another division...and it's not like these are the lower weights which makes this a much easier in my opinion. He's a natural 168lb fighter...moving up in weight is harder to do in these divisions. From 168 to crusierweight (199) is a HUGE leap imo.

With all this being said, against the right opponent and for a big enough fight, I personally feel he is deserving of at least one more payday.
        Last edited by lolpz; 07-23-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          He was outboxed by a limited as hell Kovalev who practically has only two punches in his entire locker (Jab, straight right) and has no inside game.

Usyk is not only much bigger but has vastly superior footwork, ring generalship, combinations and counterpunching, a southpaw to boot.

How does Ward beat him? With lowblows and rabbit punching? Huck already tried that.

Usyk would beat the **** out of Ward.
          You forgot gift decision too, but yeah / end thread

Comment

Ward has had enough of the Eastern Bloc fighters. He may have two wins over Kovalev, but it was no cake walk for him. That's why he retired.
            yeah. he squeaked past kovalev and is incredibly lucky to have his 0 in tact cause he lost the first fight and cheated in the second. beterbiev was his mandatory and lets face it ward didnt want that fight.

Comment

• This will be a step too far. I don't see Ward or Kovalev beating anyone of the top 5 cruiserweights.

Comment

• Originally posted by lolpz View Post
                I mean I understand where you are coming from, I don't think Ward is really "deserving" of the paydays he's gotten in terms of how big of a draw he is.

BUT we must recognize that he did receive those purses to begin with. And it wouldn't make sense to make anything less than he was previously making at this stage of his career, with his resume and accomplishments, and as the #1 p4p fighter in the world.

In fact, him not being as big of a star today as his resume would say - he put a lot of this blame on his promoter. This is why he was trying to break free from that contract for so long and go a different route. He admits himself though, he may not be the most flashy or outspoken or give the media what they want, he refuses to be the guy they want him to be so he takes blame for it as well. He's even admitted to not liking spotlight also, but his resume and skills speak for themselves.

Personally, when he faced tough competition I enjoyed all of his fights, they were not boring to me. I think people are bit too hard on him in this regard, the man cleaned out a stacked division convincingly then moved up in weight and beat the best fighter in that division twice. Now he's trying to move up another division...and it's not like these are the lower weights which makes this a much easier in my opinion. He's a natural 168lb fighter...moving up in weight is harder to do in these divisions. From 168 to crusierweight (199) is a HUGE leap imo.

With all this being said, against the right opponent and for a big enough fight, I personally feel he is deserving of at least one more payday.
                I'm not saying he didn't deserve the purse that he received, but were they even much over @2 million? Given that, would/could he command much more than that to come out of retirement? I really don't see him moving up to those big boys.

Comment

• Ward should have taken the L versus Kovalev in the first fight. What the fk is he gonna do against a much better fighter who's also 25 pounds heavier? More dick punches?

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    Smart money.

Especially if Ward would be underdog against him, easy money if you're a betting man.
                    Since when is Ward a prime RJJ?

Comment

• I will say this. Usyk would definitely fight him in Oakland. Hell, Usyk would fight him in his own living room.

Comment

Working...
                      X