Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: NYS Settles to Pay $22 Million to Magomed Abdulsalamov, Family

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
    Good news man! That fight turned me away from boxing for a long time. Good to hear he's been compensated!
    Originally posted by War Mayweather View Post
    WOW never expected him to win. Sad but atleast in the end he was able to give his family a better life in terms of money and comfort of living.
    Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    A judge approved a settlement agreement Friday through which New York State has agreed to pay $22 million to the family of injured boxer Magomed Abdulsalamov. ESPN.com reported that Court of Claims judge Jeanette Rodriguez-Morick signed off Friday on what is believed to be the largest personal injury settlement the state of New York ever has agreed to pay. The family of Abdulsalamov filed a lawsuit that accused the New York State Athletic Commission, its staff and doctors of gross negligence, medical malpractice and recklessness after the heavyweight suffered brain damage from a 10-round, unanimous-decision defeat to Mike Perez in November 2013 in The Theater at Madison Square Garden.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Good for that **** was sad as hell. Even Perez would never be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
      This is fantastic news.
      Should've been more imo... even 22 million dollars cannot buy his wife and kids a better father, changing him, constant care, stress... iirc they were suing for 100 million, out of that 22 million, how much will the lawyer get?

Comment

Good luck to the them - it is awful what has happened. And this is only money but it will see his family right.

This is the one thing about boxing that gives me the creeps. I couldn't watch boxing for a while after Nick Blackwell's injury.

That nausea was a red flag tho.

But boxing just isn't the right environment for a proper neuro assessment as the minute break doesn't allow it. Also the onset of these bleeds can be insidious I guess. If you found someone who took a whack on the head you could shine a pen torch in one eye and see if the other reacts equally if they don't or one pupil is bigger you can be pretty sure the intracranial pressure is up and something is pushing on the optic nerve. Or you can take your keys and run them across the soles of their feet and if they don't react you know the brain is struggling receiving messages.

I am no Doctor those are just basic first aid tips along with obeying verbal commands, eye opening, and limb power.

The most medical sound thing that happens in most fights is when someone gets put down and the ref says walk to me.

I love boxing but it does make me edgy sometimes. I am sure thousands watched Groves/Gutneckht and knew Eddie was in danger.

Medics shouldn't really be putting any stock whatsoever in a fighter's toughness either. I think that happens.
        Last edited by Sparked_26; 09-08-2017, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
          I read a piece on espn several months back that told about some guy going into his locker room when he was all dizzy and puking to cut off his hand wraps so he could sell them for a quick little profit.

The news of this settlement was awesome to read.
          Fuckin brutal

Comment

Originally posted by whatismyname View Post
            Come on man, not all women are gold digging hoes..now if she was married before he was paid, she'll probably stick with him hopefully. He deserves that after giving his health for his family
            I'm not really saying she's a gold digger. I mean she should live her life and what woman in her mid 30s wants to care for a grown man who's basically got the intelligence and needs of a child now.

She should go out and find her a new guy and try to find some form of happiness beyond what the person in her husbands body can give her now.

It's a f#cked up situation, but idk that I could judge her for anything she did from here out. No one signs up for the sh^t she's seen and been through.

Comment

and then ***** deported his family back to russia

Comment

Originally posted by Metho_4u View Post
                how much will the lawyer get?
                I believe it's generally a third to half. So it'll probably end up being $11M to $15M would be my guess.

Comment

so happy for him and his family, this is the least he deserved. they owed 2 millions in bills? that's so fucked up

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    I'm not really saying she's a gold digger. I mean she should live her life and what woman in her mid 30s wants to care for a grown man who's basically got the intelligence and needs of a child now.

She should go out and find her a new guy and try to find some form of happiness beyond what the person in her husbands body can give her now.

It's a f#cked up situation, but idk that I could judge her for anything she did from here out. No one signs up for the sh^t she's seen and been through.
                    I agree really with all brain stuff. Stuff like this the person disappears either piece by piece or all at once.

I'd want my wife to get out there again.

On the other hand anything else she has no out. Literally anything. I could have a chemical incident and look like Freddy Kruger's bum hole and have no limbs but if I'm still me then she's signed up for that. And vice-versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                      Excellent news. It wont bring the old Mago back, but at least his family dont have to fret about money.

NYSAC should learn a valuable lesson from this. Actually all American state athletic commissions should be looking at this and saying 'we dont wanna pay 22milli to anyone. We need to get our medical affairs in order'
                      Yep that second paragraph is the real win with this settlement. Magomed and his family already took a L that's bigger than that $22M. Only good thing about this really is it might help prevent it happening in the future as much.

Comment

Working...
                      X