Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mayweather in your Top 10 ATG? Name your Top 10.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say Top 15 is fair, but I don't think he cracks Top 10. And as much as the haters whine they have a point that Floyd doesn't have many elite wins. His wins over Hernandez and Corrales were top notch, but Corrales turned out to be more brawler than boxer. Hernandez was a great fighter, but he was already over the hill.

The Mosley, Cotto, DLH, Judah, and Pac wins were all solid wins, but none of them occurred at "prime" times for those guys. That's not to say Floyd was *always prime* because he wasn't, but when you're ranking someone in the Top 10 of ALL-TIME you have to take everything into consideration.

So, yeah, I think he makes the Top 15, but Top 10 is kind of making exceptions for my liking. There's nothing wrong with being Top 15 of ALL-TIME. For comparison I have Pac just inside Top 30 because many of his accomplishments happened when guys were on the back end of their career and the whole PED thing was very real. I mean who avoids a $50 million drug test? And then requests a cutoff date ??? That's some of the shadiest shit I ever heard of

Comment

Originally posted by KayDub View Post
      Can't put a lot of faith in someone who has Leonard but no Duran in their top 5.
      He's top 10, but not top 5. Leonard schooled him twice. Lost only a close decision to him the first time around after fighting him at his own game (toe-to-toe offense.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
        But just to name a few in the past couple decades that i think woulda beat him around his weight classes, leonard, duran, hearns, pryor (especially with the home mix bottle lol), meldrick taylor, chavez, prime mosley, prime dlh (i mean the past prime dlh gave him good but lost), never know what woulda happened with prime pac, margarito (pre controversy), castillo (who many believe beat him). There have been so many special talents. And this is just since mid 80's list of fighters in his weight classes. I do believe mayweather was a special fighter and was also good for boxing in his own way. So no way a disrespect in saying top 40ish fighter of all times covering the history of boxing in all weight divisions. See i dont even need to name 40 in history for you. I can name around ten in the last 30 yrs or so, and remember the old timers even thought 80's were soft and big dropoff for boxing
        Lol. You'd swear Margarito was an all time great the way his name is brought up. He has literally no accomplishments of his own.

but your list is your list.

Comment

Ofc

No order

Ray Robinson
          Roy Jones Jr
          Mayweather
          Ali
          Whittaker
          Duran
          Ray Leonard
          Joe Louis
          Chavez Sr
          Hopkins

Reason why i dont have alot of old fighters is that i cant go back and watch their performances. I like to see for myself how good they really were

Comment

Top Ten ATG:

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
            2. Floyd Mayweather JR
            3. Henry Armstrong
            4. Muhammad Ali
            5. Roy Jones JR
            6. Sugar Ray Leonard
            7. Ezzard Charles
            8. Joe Louis
            9. Marvin Hagler
            10. Sam Langford

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
              I'd say Top 15 is fair, but I don't think he cracks Top 10. And as much as the haters whine they have a point that Floyd doesn't have many elite wins. His wins over Hernandez and Corrales were top notch, but Corrales turned out to be more brawler than boxer. Hernandez was a great fighter, but he was already over the hill.

The Mosley, Cotto, DLH, Judah, and Pac wins were all solid wins, but none of them occurred at "prime" times for those guys. That's not to say Floyd was *always prime* because he wasn't, but when you're ranking someone in the Top 10 of ALL-TIME you have to take everything into consideration.

So, yeah, I think he makes the Top 15, but Top 10 is kind of making exceptions for my liking. There's nothing wrong with being Top 15 of ALL-TIME. For comparison I have Pac just inside Top 30 because many of his accomplishments happened when guys were on the back end of their career and the whole PED thing was very real. I mean who avoids a $50 million drug test? And then requests a cutoff date ??? That's some of the shadiest shit I ever heard of
              Greatest of all time, and its not even close. In Floyd, you have a guy where 80% of his resume was 15lbs bigger than him, and he didnt even have the power to hurt them. But his skillset was so amazing, that he humiliated them on pure abilities. Then he got to his 30's, and WHITEWASHED guys who were really too big to be in the ring with him.

I have never seen that type of dominance on opponents of that caliber, EVER. To put it into perspective, lets take SRL, and take away his power, size, and lets make him a 130lbs fighter, going to 154, He would get killed in the ring by Floyd's opponents.

Lets then age SRL to about 34-40, and all the fights Floyd had from that age group, would kill SRL.

Place any fighter at the circumstantial disadvantages of Floyd, and they would all get killed. Some may win, but NOT like Floyd. Floyd's skills made him virtually invincible, no matter how much bigger and younger than him you were, he was going to whitewash you.

I have never seen anything like that in my life. Where a guy stands in front of you, and avoids your punch by a half an inch. But because he knows for a face that the punch wont get close enough to land, he doesnt even blink an eye, while he pops you in the mouth.

Im truly appreciative to be in his era. I wouldnt trade this era for the 70's, 80's, or Ali'z era, or SRR era. I honestly feel bad for the old guys who died and missed out on this.

I ALWAYS used to wonder, why I got picked to be in this era to see this happen live.

I can go back on yt and watch that past throwback fighters fight, and see that its completely different from what we have in Floyd!

And I dont care about no Corralles or Genero Hernandez. Those fights happened at the smaller weights. For me, Floyd tipped his legacy when he came back in 09 and fought all those big guys when he got old. When him and Pac didnt fight eachother, he cleaned out the absolute best at and around his weight class, and made it look SO EASY!

This will never ever happen again, in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                Greatest of all time, and its not even close. In Floyd, you have a guy where 80% of his resume was 15lbs bigger than him, and he didnt even have the power to hurt them. But his skillset was so amazing, that he humiliated them on pure abilities. Then he got to his 30's, and WHITEWASHED guys who were really too big to be in the ring with him.

I have never seen that type of dominance on opponents of that caliber, EVER. To put it into perspective, lets take SRL, and take away his power, size, and lets make him a 130lbs fighter, going to 154, He would get killed in the ring by Floyd's opponents.

Lets then age SRL to about 34-40, and all the fights Floyd had from that age group, would kill SRL.

Place any fighter at the circumstantial disadvantages of Floyd, and they would all get killed. Some may win, but NOT like Floyd. Floyd's skills made him virtually invincible, no matter how much bigger and younger than him you were, he was going to whitewash you.

I have never seen anything like that in my life. Where a guy stands in front of you, and avoids your punch by a half an inch. But because he knows for a face that the punch wont get close enough to land, he doesnt even blink an eye, while he pops you in the mouth.

Im truly appreciative to be in his era. I wouldnt trade this era for the 70's, 80's, or Ali'z era, or SRR era. I honestly feel bad for the old guys who died and missed out on this.

I ALWAYS used to wonder, why I got picked to be in this era to see this happen live.

I can go back on yt and watch that past throwback fighters fight, and see that its completely different from what we have in Floyd!

And I dont care about no Corralles or Genero Hernandez. Those fights happened at the smaller weights. For me, Floyd tipped his legacy when he came back in 09 and fought all those big guys when he got old. When him and Pac didnt fight eachother, he cleaned out the absolute best at and around his weight class, and made it look SO EASY!

great post I agree 100%

Comment

Originally posted by LockardTheGOAT View Post
                  He's top 10, but not top 5. Leonard schooled him twice. Lost only a close decision to him the first time around after fighting him at his own game (toe-to-toe offense.)
                  duran isn't even Top ten maybe top 25

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
                    Yeah im not saying that as a put down. There are just alot of special fighters that had special fights. Top 40ish out of the millions of boxers isnt bad whatsoever imo
                    We don't need an ordered list with breakdowns just give us those 40ish names

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post

If by "not like Floyd", you mean by not being almost all defense, then you're right. But if other ATG's fought an almost entirely defensive fight, then yeah, it's not hard to see them going through the same resume as Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                      X