No announcement yet.

Why it's NOT bad for boxing if McGregor wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardt View Post
    But is always comes down to public perception and the massive wave will pour down on Boxing in a very bad way of MC wins.
    And?

Or do you think if Conor wins somehow the UFC will be able to pay guys $100m purses and boxing will go down the sh^tter with the top guys making MMA money?

I think if Conor wins boxing just hijacked the biggest name in combat sports right now from MMA. I think the UFC loses there biggest star if Conor wins.

F#ck what fans think. They'll be watching Conor vs Canelo in May whatever they are boasting on or b^tching about on Aug. 27.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      And?

Or do you think if Conor wins somehow the UFC will be able to pay guys $100m purses and boxing will go down the sh^tter with the top guys making MMA money?

I think if Conor wins boxing just hijacked the biggest name in combat sports right now from MMA. I think the UFC loses there biggest star if Conor wins.

F#ck what fans think. They'll be watching Conor vs Canelo in May whatever they are boasting on or b^tching about on Aug. 27.
      I can even see a major magazine with this on the front cover: "Boxing - inferior to UFC?". I guarantee if MC wins, it will be the biggest black eye on boxing since its inception in the bare knuckle days. It will be all over every sport magazine and beyond and the media frenzy will be overwhelming.

Comment

I can even see a major magazine with this on the front cover: "Boxing - inferior to UFC?".
        Boxing IS inferior to MMA. If I got a military that can attack you via the land, the air and the sea and your military can only attack via land my military is clearly superior no matter how good your ground troops are. That's boxing vs MMA. Boxing uses fists, MMA uses nearly everything.

I guarantee if MC wins, it will be the biggest black eye on boxing since its inception in the bare knuckle days. It will be all over every sport magazine and beyond and the media frenzy will be overwhelming.
        And they'll also be talking about this new MMA fighter who's gonna revolutize boxing or be exposed when he fights someone active and not old. Then Conor will proceed to bring big PPVs to boxing for 5x or more money then he'd make in the UFC.

Comment

Boxing IS inferior to MMA. If I got a military that can attack you via the land, the air and the sea and your military can only attack via land my military is clearly superior no matter how good your ground troops are. That's boxing vs MMA. Boxing uses fists, MMA uses nearly everything.

And they'll also be talking about this new MMA fighter who's gonna revolutize boxing or be exposed when he fights someone active and not old. Then Conor will proceed to bring big PPVs to boxing for 5x or more money then he'd make in the UFC.
          Thats not at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about UFC in the ring with boxers under boxing's rules, not some general comparison of the two sports. If MC beats Floyd in a boxing ring under boxing rules, then boxing loses to UFC in boxing's own wheelhouse, then that is a HUGE embarrassment. Thats what I'm talking about.
          Last edited by richardt; 08-13-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Literally one of the dumbest and most illogical things I've ever read

Comment

Conor is not leaving UFC for boxing, get that through your hollow skulls. He may box again one day - in fact, he may even negotiate a unique deal where he's allowed to alternate between both sports and fight whomever he chooses - but he isn't completely ditching MMA for an inferior sport like boxing. Beside, he already said he was returning to UFC possibly as early as December.

Comment

And?

Conor will just go back to UFC after bragging about how easy and pathetic boxing is.

Even if he fights Canelo and get's knocked out in the first round he will still have beaten one of the best boxers ever and something no one else could for 20 years.

It's a disaster for our sport.

Comment

Thats not at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about UFC in the ring with boxers under boxing's rules, not some general comparison of the two sports. If MC beats Floyd in a boxing ring under boxing rules, then boxing loses to UFC in boxing's own wheelhouse, then that is a HUGE embarrassment. Thats what I'm talking about.
                  So if Loma went over to the UFC & beat some 40 old post-prime, 2 year inactive MMA guy thats a win for boxing? Idk if I'd agree with that.

I think people are confused about what Floyd has been doing as of late. Floyd hasn't beaten a top ten guy in 2 years. Could he even beat the Spence's or Thurman's today? Honestly I'm not sure. Does he reallllly represent boxing in 2017? Not to me, historically anyone who's done as much as Floyd always represents boxing to some degree, but if Tyson fought a UFC guy next year in the cage or the ring that wouldn't be a W or L for boxing either to me & neither is this fight to me. I understand people have a different opinion, but just like MMA didn't end when an old Ray Mercer KO'd a UFC champion in the cage boxing isn't gonna have its dick in the dirt either. Floyd would take a load of sh^t, but boxing will be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Conor will just go back to UFC after bragging about how easy and pathetic boxing is.

Even if he fights Canelo and get's knocked out in the first round he will still have beaten one of the best boxers ever and something no one else could for 20 years.

It's a disaster for our sport.
                    You think Conor KO's Floyd & goes back to MMA? He's getting $100M+ for this fight allegedly. He's made about $15M/max for his biggest MMA fights when PPV points are counted allegedly. If he beats Floyd he'd probably knock down another near if not $100M payday if he fought Canelo next. He's not going back to the UFC if he beats Floyd.

We might be seeing more boxers doing this, but its not a disaster to have new blood injected into boxing:

Comment

So if Loma went over to the UFC & beat some 40 old post-prime, 2 year inactive MMA guy thats a win for boxing? Idk if I'd agree with that.

I think people are confused about what Floyd has been doing as of late. Floyd hasn't beaten a top ten guy in 2 years. Could he even beat the Spence's or Thurman's today? Honestly I'm not sure. Does he reallllly represent boxing in 2017? Not to me, historically anyone who's done as much as Floyd always represents boxing to some degree, but if Tyson fought a UFC guy next year in the cage or the ring that wouldn't be a W or L for boxing either to me & neither is this fight to me. I understand people have a different opinion, but just like MMA didn't end when an old Ray Mercer KO'd a UFC champion in the cage boxing isn't gonna have its dick in the dirt either. Floyd would take a load of sh^t, but boxing will be just fine.
                      Ray Mercer knocking out that UFC guy WAS an embarassment to their sport. It just didn't have the entire world watching like this one.

It would be like Jon Jones dominating for another 10 years, retiring for 2 years and the eqivielent of Andre Ward today going over to MMA and knocking him out. It would be disasterous for that to happen.

It's plain common sense. Floyd is old yes, he's 2 years inactive yes, but he's still Floyd, 2 years ago he was P4P #1. No one in 20 years a wholeeee lot of top level boxers couldnt beat him. A guy who has never even boxed a day in his life walks in and beats him? I don't need to even explain why that would be a disaster for this sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X