Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[REAL TALK] How to make boxing more fun for the fans again. No Connor trolling plz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daggum View Post
    here you see a guy clinching. here you see a guy clinching. here you see a guy clinching. here you see a guy wrestling his opponent around. here you see a guy clinching. here you see a guy clinching.

Duran was one of the most exciting fighters of all time and he ****ing loved fighting in the clinch.

Massively underappreciated part of the sport and very difficult to do well. If people understood what was happening in clinches they wouldnt be as boring to watch, same as the more you watch MMA the more interesting the wrestling side of it becomes.

There is method to everything top level fighters do, and it isnt always obvious to the untrained eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I've seen no such evidence bigger gloves protect a fighters brain.

In fact I believe the brain isn't a big fan of being hit at all so hitting the brain with small gloves less times is better than getting hit with bigger gloves more times. The brain is feeling all those times cuz the brain is getting smacked around the skull the whole f#cking time either way. Brain injury is a volume problem.
      I don't necessarily disagree. Some feel the larger gloves are potentially even more damaging and plenty of fighters have died since they instituted 12 rounds. These kinds of protections are largely symbolic. But also in some cases these protections have probably saved lives. Overall, boxing is the deadliest sport in the world and it's absurd to even consider making it easier for the fighters to do lethal damage to each other by extending the fights and giving them smaller gloves.

Have you ever been hit full force on the chin with a 4 oz. - 6 oz. - 8 oz. - 10 oz. - or 14 oz. or 16 oz. glove? I have. Believe me. You can tell the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
        I don't necessarily disagree. Some feel the larger gloves are potentially even more damaging and plenty of fighters have died since they instituted 12 rounds. These kinds of protections are largely symbolic. But also in some cases these protections have probably saved lives. Overall, boxing is the deadliest sport in the world and it's absurd to even consider making it easier for the fighters to do lethal damage to each other by extending the fights and giving them smaller gloves.

Have you ever been hit full force on the chin with a 4 oz. - 6 oz. - 8 oz. - 10 oz. - or 14 oz. or 16 oz. glove? I have. Believe me. You can tell the difference.
        Pro gloves don't usually drop below 8 ounces FYI but you're some world class expert ex fighter so you already knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          Duran was one of the most exciting fighters of all time and he ****ing loved fighting in the clinch.

Massively underappreciated part of the sport and very difficult to do well. If people understood what was happening in clinches they wouldnt be as boring to watch, same as the more you watch MMA the more interesting the wrestling side of it becomes.

There is method to everything top level fighters do, and it isnt always obvious to the untrained eye.
          most of the time what is happening is a guy is clinching to stop his opponent from throwing punches. yes sometimes they clinch and throw punches at their opponent but if a guy is entertaining its despite clinching not because of it. but that still doesnt make it legal now does it? the old well they used to cheat so they should be allowed to cheat now argument doesnt fly. no grabbing your opponent seems pretty easy to enforce but boxing and its "traditions" most traditions suck for a reason and hold progress back.

Comment

floyd pretended he wanted to clean up the sport then made his opponents wear pillow gloves that cause more long lasting damage. i cant believe floyd would do this to the sport and himself. hes always been so honest and trustworthy

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
              Pro gloves don't usually drop below 8 ounces FYI but you're some world class expert ex fighter so you already knew that.
              Thanks for the information.

Comment

Thanks for the information.
                But you already knew that...

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                  But you already knew that...
                  And you think they should be wearing 6 oz. gloves 147 and down, yes? Brilliant idea. You've really thought your way through this. Maybe they can attach knives or razors to the tips of the gloves. That would be much more entertaining.

Comment

And you think they should be wearing 6 oz. gloves 147 and down, yes? Brilliant idea. You've really thought your way through this. Maybe they can attach knives or razors to the tips of the gloves. That would be much more entertaining.
                    So you're being ridiculous while I am being sensible.

Maybe throw in a yo mamma joke or 2 and maybe say I don't know boxing blah blah blah or maybe say I'm new to the forums

Yeah yeah that'll show me for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

And randomly the UFC has done something genius too. On one of their new shows they got alternate commentary with Snoop Dogg (who's high as f#ck) & Urijah Faber (a former WEC champ + HOFer) which is mfing hilarious. Respect for fighting, but most cats watching at home are having fun watching the fight or wanna have more fun watching the fight so lets have some alternate boxing commentary with Dave Chappele & Mike Tyson just having fun in the booth talking about the fights or some such combo of guys. We got these old rigor mortis mfers talking about Max Schemling & sh^t. No one gives a f#ck about this old ass sh^t. Lets talk about what we are watching & have fun tonight. YOLO mfers!!!!
                      I absolutely agree with that.

Boxing basically hasn't really moved with the times. I'm not much of a UFC fan but they have a lot of their format right with the way the shows are presented, the way the press conferences are done and everything else. As i say, i'm not much of a fan but when i watch their events it's all quite lively and they build excitement on the show and press conferences.

Boxing might be alright for the real purists but you're right, the average viewer doesn't want some old ba5tards on HBO talking about Willie Pep, or the mnager of MGM Grand and head of Showtime talking at the press conferences for 20 minutes.

Also, the fans basically need to be less accepting of **** fights. Vote with your wallets as they say, or just don't tune in to rubbish they serve up. Promoters and TV companies will soon start making fights people want to see when the money isn't rolling in the same anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X