Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder back Sep-Oct

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And his fanboys swore the only reason he wont fight ortiz or whyte is because he has to fight stiverne.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCamNZ View Post
      Absolutely, the whole thing reeks of Wilder being comfortable doing what he's doing and not being willing to step up.
      It does because I don't see him eager to fight any of the guys that I mentioned that were ranked in the top 5 outside of Stiverne.

It takes a certain level of insanity to walk away from millions of dollars, while claiming that he deserves even more than that, for fighting a guy that he himself claims is a bum. It's all backwards and stupid.
      His own promoter won't even put up that amount of money for a fight against Whyte. Funny how Wilder talks about he deserves 7 million dollars to fight Whyte when DiBella wouldn't put up 4 million for him to fight Povetkin. I can't believe that Wilder would say such things but this is what he has done ever since he got that belt.

Maybe we need to be resigned to the fact that Wilder is who he is, and expecting anything more from him is a waste of everyone's time.
      Some have already seen that in him...it's crazy how he was able to get the WBC belt in the first place when it was vacant for nearly two years before someone claimed it.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
        But he could still do the same if he fights white instead? I rate whyte and breazeale on the same level. Why should he fight breazeale for 1/4 or 1/5 of what he could earn against whyte?

Also a fight against whyte has much bigger upside for him. Fight in the UK, get more exposure, maximise revenue against Joshua. Whyte is also a loudmouth and good at selling a fight.

The fight with breazeale, while rated on the same level as against whyte, does not bring wilder any further. There is less demand for this fight and breazeale is rather softspoken. The fight will probably not interest many casuals.

And I'm not sure if Parker vs wilder is a big money fight? Arum himself said unification fights are too expensive. The money for heavyweight is in the UK and every hw should try to get exposure there.
        Breazeale and Whyte are of a similar level (Whyte is below Breazeale, simply for the difference in competition level), with Breazeale having near no name ID in the US.

Why would Wilder take a fight to London, fight on friendly terms for Whyte (who is not all that great an opponent) for short money.

Wilder-Breazeale seems set for PBC on Fox (likely to put $1.5m into Wilder's pocket, for a fight that would be completely on terms favorable to him).

Wilder controls his next fight, and it's not like the option to fight Whyte goes away.

The money for heavyweight boxing is in fighting Anthony Joshua; no one is getting rich fighting the Fury's, David Haye, David Price, or whatever other UK heavyweights you can think of.

Wilder(c) vs Parker(c), to unify two belts (likely at Barclays Center), would be featured on Showtime Championship Boxing, would draw interest from Sky Sports (in continuing the arc towards the big heavyweight unification fight with Anthony Joshua), and in Australia/New Zealand/Samoa (though not clear how the time would work out for a bout that likely starts 10pm EST), with both guys splitting the money 50/50.

Unifications are expensive for Arum, only in the sense that you're typically dealing with two camps, leaving less money available for Arum.

Comment

Originally posted by RussTBE View Post
          Turns down 5mil from hearn to fight breazele.
          Hearn is bringing the American champion, like to London's O2 Arena, to fight the London boy, in a fight that likely gets booked for Sky Box Office.

If all Wilder is getting off that is $5m (on a fight that Matchroom will sell out the O2 on, while also doing okay on Sky Box Office), he's entirely justified (especially if the performance is likely picked up by Sky Sports, and Wilder impressed again).

Wilder has a price in his mind, and Hearn will offer him that number once he feels like he can make money at Wilder's number.

Comment

Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
            Only Ortiz should have claim to that mandatory shot. Oquendo hasn't fought in nearly three years and Ustinov been fighting dudes with double digit losses...since Ortiz is not with Golden Boy, Ustinov should try to get a fight with him but I've heard nothing about it.
            Ortiz is the mandatory to the SUPER championship.

Oquendo is the mandatory to the WORLD championship.

Ustinov was the mandatory to the INTERIM championship, but the WBA is trying to avoid crowning another interim champion.

Hopefully Oquendo & Ustinov are ordered to meet for the world title.

Comment

Damn I forgot this dude existed - yesterday's news

Comment

Can't see the logic behind this. If you're going to fight someone other than Stiverne, why choose Breazeale when a Whyte fight (which isn't any riskier than a Breeazeale fight) would be bring in a paycheck worth three to four times as much, and significantly more exposure to the UK market?
                You don't know if it would really bring in 3-4x as much.

Because you don't know what Wilder really gets paid (numbers filed with the commission, especially for the A-side, are often misleading) and you have no idea if Hearn was making a clean offer.

IWBR has Breazeale #8 and Whyte #14. So I definitely understand making the argument that Whyte is the easier fight.

But there are too many unknown variables business wise.

I'll say this though . . . if fighting Whyte made business sense, he'd be fighting Whyte.

Comment

Absolutely, the whole thing reeks of Wilder being comfortable doing what he's doing and not being willing to step up.
                  Breazeale is #8 IWBR. Whyte is #14. How is Whyte "stepping up"?

Comment

Not much better or worse than Whyte. Meh either way. Should just fight Stiverne already since hes the mando and then a live body

And by live body I don't mean Breazeale or Whyte.
                    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 07-18-2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussTBE View Post
                      And his fanboys swore the only reason he wont fight ortiz or whyte is because he has to fight stiverne.
                      ortiz is not an option. ortiz has a guaranteed shot against joshua and isn't willing to give it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X