Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Billy Joe Saunders: Monroe No Warrior, He Quit With Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rooting for The Mongoose for the upset win!

He should mix up his attack patterns like he did against GGG but this time he's facing someone who doesnt punch nowhere near as hard!

Saunders is already underestimating Monroe!

Monroe should target the body very early as I'm sure Billy Blows Saunders is losing A LOT of weight in just a matter of 2 months which isn't good!

Comment

Yeah but at least he fought him.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        LOL idk why you hating so hard on a fight that is only in the rumored stages, but I really don't get why you keep mentioning 168lb guys for Jacobs? And I really got no clue wtf you are on about Joshua vs Wilder? Did I miss some news today or something?

Jacobs is a player at 160. And whoever wins or loses in Sept. could be looking at Jacobs as their next opponent after winning or losing the most anticipated non-circus fight of the year so switching divisions seems a highly bad idea to me. He'd actually be wise to maybe not make a move til after September.
        Hard to say which way Jacobs will jump - but two things I can immediately think of have a bearing. Firstly neither the winner nor the loser of GGG - Canelo are likely to face Danny in their next fight. The loser is likely to want a softer touch and the winner is likely to be going after the missing piece of the puzzle - that means Danny ain't gonna get a big fight at 160 til the middle of 2018 at the earliest, or a crack at any of the straps. Secondly Danny has hit 30 now - the traditional age at which it becomes much harder to make the cut... and he ain't a small dude, although I suspect he's resolute enough to push it a while longer. If he's gonna make that move, now would probably be the time to do it. In fact it probably wouldn't have been the worst move in the world to try to sign up for the WBSS - but as has been pointed out I believe he may have been looking for a little break.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          Hard to say which way Jacobs will jump - but two things I can immediately think of have a bearing. Firstly neither the winner nor the loser of GGG - Canelo are likely to face Danny in their next fight.
          Likely or nah, he's a shortlist opponent for them. And I don't think it'd be a unreasonable expectation that he gets called on within 12 months of the Canelo vs GGG fight.

The loser is likely to want a softer touch and the winner is likely to be going after the missing piece of the puzzle - that means Danny ain't gonna get a big fight at 160 til the middle of 2018 at the earliest, or a crack at any of the straps.
          I think if GGG wins or loses & Canelo doesn't call in the immediate rematch, which I predict he won't if he loses, then I think its EXTREMELY likely Jacobs gets the call for a GGG rematch since public perception is what it is with that fight. GGG's time is limited, he doesn't have time for non-important fights.

Secondly Danny has hit 30 now - the traditional age at which it becomes much harder to make the cut... and he ain't a small dude, although I suspect he's resolute enough to push it a while longer. If he's gonna make that move, now would probably be the time to do it.
          I think when you are this close to a major fight that'll pay your rent for the next 35 years you cut the weight for awhile longer. There is NOTHING for him at 168 thats gonna pay what a fight with GGG or Canelo will pay & there isn't anything close to enhancing his rep like a W over Canelo or GGG would at 168.

In fact it probably wouldn't have been the worst move in the world to try to sign up for the WBSS - but as has been pointed out I believe he may have been looking for a little break.
          Looking at the roster I don't disagree it wouldn't have been a good time killer & possible way to throw $10M in his bank account cuz he'd certainly be a favorite to win it for me I think. I might had even picked him to win it. Then again Jacobs hasn't really been the most active guy as of late so putting him 3 fights in 9 months may not be the best idea out of the blue either. Wouldn't have hated that idea, but don't love it either I don't think.

Comment

Lemieux is in the Canelo sweepstakes & probably got the eye wink from Oscar that they got him on tap for a May fight or sometime soon if Canelo is gonna be more active. Plus lets not act like he didn't kinda look like dog sh^t his last time out. He had wayyyy to hard of a time vs that guy.

Jacobs is supposedly in the running for Chavez Jr in December which probably pays better + is a easier fight. And I also think he had some stuff going on & had said pretty much from the end of the GGG fight that he wasn't looking to fight again anytime soon & was taking some time off. For a guy who almost died I'm sure life>boxing all day every day. Matter of fact I think a lot of what he was doing these days was charity stuff.

If he wins his next 3 fights he's got $10M in his bank account. If he wins one fight he's probably taking home $2M or close to it (1M W bonus for quarterfinal fights) which is probably a huge jump up from what he's been paid. And nothing was happening for him at 160. Seems like a worthwhile move & not even much of a gamble. And he did luck out & get a good draw with a winnable first match & if Callum Smith gets upset then Brant could have a damn near walk to the finals & make about $7M or so even if he loses to Eubank or Groves in the finals.

Was Lara made a legit offer? I'd assume he wouldn't be opposed with a 1M+ type offer to fight BJS for a 160lb strap, but he his technically still a 154lber & supposedly those guys are gonna start fighting each other soon & we haven't really heard that in the past while many of us fans, myself included, have been saying wtf about 154 where PBC has all the puzzle pieces, but won't put it together.

Depends what you thought of BJS before. Personally I've had a high opinion of him for years & my current opinion of him is actually worse than its previously been due to inactivity & his eating/health habits & I feel he's wasting a decent portion of his career as of late for no good reason. BJS last year or so of his career would be like if Ali lost a year of his career to a little debbie snack cake addiction. Its embarrassing. I hope he gets/gots his sh^t together now.

yep agree with both of those points

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
              Oh God, I hope you're wrong about Jacobs vs. Chavez Jr! Quillen vs. Chavez Jr., OK! Jacobs vs. Chavez Jr., NO BUENO! Brant was #4, Monroe is #5, so Brant should've gotten the offer first! I wish him luck! Lara keeps talking GGG, so that WBO strap would've been a way to make it happen! I hope he fights Andrade, because that's the only fight I want to see Lara in @ 154! I would rather see Lara vs. Jacobs @ 160 than Lara vs. Lubin @ 154! As far as BJS, I can't judge him fairly because of the fights he hasn't had, i.e. GGG, Canelo, Cotto, Jacobs, and Quillen!

that's it right there

Monroe should give us an idea where he's at

Comment

LOL idk why you hating so hard on a fight that is only in the rumored stages, but I really don't get why you keep mentioning 168lb guys for Jacobs? And I really got no clue wtf you are on about Joshua vs Wilder? Did I miss some news today or something?

Jacobs is a player at 160. And whoever wins or loses in Sept. could be looking at Jacobs as their next opponent after winning or losing the most anticipated non-circus fight of the year so switching divisions seems a highly bad idea to me. He'd actually be wise to maybe not make a move til after September.
                I'm hating because I don't even like the sounds of the rumors! I mention 168 guys because if he's even entertaining the rumors to fight JCC Jr. (which everyone knows won't be @160 or 164 because he just looked like ****) then he should be entertaining the top 168 like DeGale, and not JCC Jr. I also don't think he should even be entertaining a spot on Canelo vs. GGG! If he wants to be a co-main event, i'm saying GO BIG! Anyway, I hope all these rumors you heard are total bull****!

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                  that's it right there

Monroe should give us an idea where he's at
                  Would a win over Monroe Jr. bring you clarity? NOT ME! A win over Jacobs, Cotto, or Lara would do the trick! Even a win over Charlo would help, but Willie Monroe is not going to get it done. No offense Willie...go get 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                    then he should be entertaining the top 168 like DeGale
                    Isn't DeGale injured or something?

And again I don't see the point at going up to a new weight division vs a player that won't get you a big payday that'll potentially put at risk your big payday next year vs GGG or Canelo or just take you out of the running if it doesn't come next year.

This is like the GGG vs Ward thing awhile back when GGG was close to having the Canelo fight made. You don't risk a huge payday in boxing for a fight that does lil good for you & can do huge bad for you. If GGG loses to Ward obviously Canelo has little to no interest in fighting him & even if he does it lowers his $. And if he beats Ward he beats a guy who has no fans outside of Oakland, CA.

Same deal with Jacobs with DeGale. If he loses to DeGale than he probably takes himself right out of the running for GGG & Canelo 100%. Won't even be a need to speculate on him being avoided from that point on. And if he wins he beat the UK guy who fights in America to little excitement & arguably shoulda lost his last 2 fights.

I didn't see the point in GGG making that dumb move nor in Jacobs making this dumb move.

Comment

Isn't DeGale injured or something?

And again I don't see the point at going up to a new weight division vs a player that won't get you a big payday that'll potentially put at risk your big payday next year vs GGG or Canelo or just take you out of the running if it doesn't come next year.

This is like the GGG vs Ward thing awhile back when GGG was close to having the Canelo fight made. You don't risk a huge payday in boxing for a fight that does lil good for you & can do huge bad for you. If GGG loses to Ward obviously Canelo has little to no interest in fighting him & even if he does it lowers his $. And if he beats Ward he beats a guy who has no fans outside of Oakland, CA.

Same deal with Jacobs with DeGale. If he loses to DeGale than he probably takes himself right out of the running for GGG & Canelo 100%. Won't even be a need to speculate on him being avoided from that point on. And if he wins he beat the UK guy who fights in America to little excitement & arguably shoulda lost his last 2 fights.

I didn't see the point in GGG making that dumb move nor in Jacobs making this dumb move.
                      I feel you! I just think fighting JCC Jr. is an even "dumber" move, and I think fighting DeGale in the UK would be better financially than fighting JCC Jr. anywhere on the planet!

Comment

Working...
                      X