Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P4P resume and skill wise, who is better than floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
    I was a fan on Floyd, but I was fan of Floyd the prettyboy, the guy that fought Hatton, Gatti, Corrales, he was actually the guy that I was a big fan of, but the Oscar Dela Hoya fight changed him, I gave him a pass on fighting Marquez, but then the Victor Ortiz, Guerrero, fights happened I lost support.

His resume is also overrated. I mean, he has 0 Prime A level fighters in his resume.
    Canelo is a prime A level fighter, so is maidana. As for the rest its not like he beat washed up shane and oscar, they were still very good. And he cant decide what era he is in.

Comment

Originally posted by jay543 View Post
      How do you rate Rocky Marciano?
      Lower than floyd, limited fighter in a limited era, he would get starched by fighters from the 80's on forward. Floyd is a much more complete and skilled fighter than him. Although rocky is an all time great to me who is probably top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by RussTBE View Post
        Canelo is a prime A level fighter, so is maidana. As for the rest its not like he beat washed up shane and oscar, they were still very good. And he cant decide what era he is in.
        Calling Canelo "Prime" at 22 years old that looked like a zombie and calling Maidana an A-level........

Comment

And also, what do you mean by beat many "greats"? Did he beat those greats when they were actually at their "Greatest"?
          Ricky Hatton was quite honest earlier in his career and his team said "he was not ready" Mosley had just had a great second win over Vargas, but he had a toothache and straight ducked Floyd.....there's 2 examples...backneiao avoided testing and the fight was delayed, so that took care of that...marquez knocked Manny out AFTER Floyd thoroughly schooled him after a 2 year lay off. Corrales, Castillo were both at their best. Canelo didn't win a rd when I scored it, etc...it doesn't matter, there will ALWAYS be detractors on here because people are still butthurt about 5-2-15...however, Floyd won, and he beat the 'supposed' fighter of the decade...thus Floyd IS the better boxer.

Comment

Floyd's resume is crazy. A few guys in history have more top heavy resume's, with a couple wins being better than anything on Floyd's, but very few fought opponents as consistently good as Mayweather's. Plus there's so much bias, people will hype a B level opponent of some old greats saying "these were the top guys at the time", but not credit Mayweather for wins like the Maidana win, or even just trying to downplay the Corrales and Castillo wins. His longevity and consistency adds to his legacy too, he's never slipped up his whole career. He's only arguably lost one fight, and had about 3 close relatively close fights all up.

That's not even mentioning the observable skill level. Arguably best defense ever. Arguable best counter puncher ever. Can cut the ring off and walk people down, something a lot of these offensive juggernauts that get hyped can't even do. Can fight on the inside, another thing heaps of top guys can't even do. Skill wise he's the best i've ever seen, and has a great resume. He should certainly be in the conversation.

Comment

From what I've seen Mayweather, Whitaker and Duran are the most well rounded fighters

Comment

Originally posted by Jiub View Post
                Floyd's resume is crazy. A few guys in history have more top heavy resume's, with a couple wins being better than anything on Floyd's, but very few fought opponents as consistently good as Mayweather's. Plus there's so much bias, people will hype a B level opponent of some old greats saying "these were the top guys at the time", but not credit Mayweather for wins like the Maidana win, or even just trying to downplay the Corrales and Castillo wins. His longevity and consistency adds to his legacy too, he's never slipped up his whole career. He's only arguably lost one fight, and had about 3 close relatively close fights all up.

That's not even mentioning the observable skill level. Arguably best defense ever. Arguable best counter puncher ever. Can cut the ring off and walk people down, something a lot of these offensive juggernauts that get hyped can't even do. Can fight on the inside, another thing heaps of top guys can't even do. Skill wise he's the best i've ever seen, and has a great resume. He should certainly be in the conversation.
                Ali is not known for beating Henry Cooper, he is known for beating Joe Frazier, George Foreman, and Norton.

Pacquiao is not known for beating Vargas, Algerie, he is known for beating Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Tim Bradley

SRL is not known for beating Green, Mayweather Sr. He is known for beating Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns, Wilfred Benitez And Marvin Hagler.

Greats are known for beating other greats when they were at their best, and it does not exempt anyone.
                Last edited by Thraxox; 07-15-2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Here's another thing, i'm seeing people bashing the Maidana win even in this thread. Yeah Maidana had some losses, but he was coming off his best win over Broner and his performance against Floyd was great. He was backing Floyd up to the ropes with his double jab and roughing him up. He did way better than supposedly more elite fighters. Based on his performance i'll happily consider him elite, and it's a bummer he didn't come back and face Thurman or any of those guys because i think he's on that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiub View Post
                    Here's another thing, i'm seeing people bashing the Maidana win even in this thread. Yeah Maidana had some losses, but he was coming off his best win over Broner and his performance against Floyd was great. He was backing Floyd up to the ropes with his double jab and roughing him up. He did way better than supposedly more elite fighters. Based on his performance i'll happily consider him elite, and it's a bummer he didn't come back and face Thurman or any of those guys because i think he's on that level.
                    Maidana giving Floyd hell doesn't make him A-level or elite. He is B-level at best. Maidana that fought Floyd is still the Maidana that lost to Khan, Alexander and Kotelnik.

Comment

Calling Canelo "Prime" at 22 years old that looked like a zombie and calling Maidana an A-level........
                      Wasnt a zombie he was in good shape. Fighting floyd 2 pounds heavier would have made zero difference that night. He had no answers.

Comment

Working...
                      X