Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence: Only Keith Thurman Can Tell You When He'll Fight Me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the next big fight to happen. I slightly favor Spence because of his tenacity but you can't count Thurman out.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBricks View Post
      I thought I read that Shawn Porter has first dibs at Thurman's titles because he beat Berto.
      Regardless I highly doubt Thurman wants Spence or Porter right off elbow surgery, but you never know.

Hopefully Spence can lock in a date before the end of the year.
      Danny Garcia wants no parts of Errol Spence is what it seems like.
      Garcia went life and death with Lamont Peterson so I could only imagine what Errol Spence would do to him.

Spence vs Lamont Peterson would be a good fight to make while Spence waits for the other title holders to get through their mandatory fights.
      Porter is the WBC #1 contender, and Peterson is the WBA "Regular" Champion. I don't know which one gets first crack at Thurman, but it should be one of them next. I don't see Thurman vs. Spence Jr. happening in 2017.

Comment

He won't tell Spence when because he's been hiding from Spence since he became champion.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
          What does both being with Haymon have to do with anything. It's the fighter who accepts the fight. Haymon could push for the fight between them but if one fighter says no then there's no fight. Just like Manny has said no to the Crawford fight, why can't that fight be made when they both have the same promoter like u say. There's more to it, Danny came of a loss and they probably wanted him to get a win first, cause I'm sure people like you would give no Spence credit for beating Garcia by saying he hadn't beaten anyone after Thurman.
          in Pac's case, Crawford isn't even in the same weight class and has no audience. Be real, why would Pac do a "favor" for Crawford? Pac's an aging champ looking to cash out. Crawford is still making a name for himself. It doesn't benefit Pac at all....especially seeing that he would lose. On the other hand, with so many young Haymon fighters at welterweight, the division probably could have been unified a couple years ago.....unless there is more money to be made by keeping the titles separate. I think there is more money to be made with these guys building their brands separately, and then cashing out when the time is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
            Porter is the WBC #1 contender, and Peterson is the WBA "Regular" Champion. I don't know which one gets first crack at Thurman, but it should be one of them next. I don't see Thurman vs. Spence Jr. happening in 2017.
            Yeah, I would expect the Peterson fight to happen first, although I expect Thurman to win the Porter fight 'easier' this time, it's still a tough gruelling fight.

Also I think your onto something there, I think they'll be Thurman's next two fights, I'll be surprised if the Thurman/spence fight happens any earlier than 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by War Dinamita View Post
              He won't tell Spence when because he's been hiding from Spence since he became champion.
              Actually Keith has been on that since before he became champ...it was always, "Spence hasn't fought anybody."

I can't blame him too much, because that's the same way the big names used to treat Keith when he was up and coming.

I do expect him to come back, take a fight or 2, and then fight Spence some time late next year. I don't think he'll run from Spence.

Comment

Spence would absolutely destroy one dimensional Danny and he is only looking at fighting the best .I think he beats Thurman but he did have difficult times with Brook for over half their fight so.

Comment

Originally posted by cally93 View Post
                  Yeah, I would expect the Peterson fight to happen first, although I expect Thurman to win the Porter fight 'easier' this time, it's still a tough gruelling fight.

Also I think your onto something there, I think they'll be Thurman's next two fights, I'll be surprised if the Thurman/spence fight happens any earlier than 2019.
                  Especially when One Time, stands for one fight a year now. He's had to take months to recover after fighting Garcia and Porter. Could you imagine how much time he would need to recover if Spence put a real beating on him?

Comment

Originally posted by FLY TY View Post
                    Actually Keith has been on that since before he became champ...it was always, "Spence hasn't fought anybody."

I can't blame him too much, because that's the same way the big names used to treat Keith when he was up and coming.

I do expect him to come back, take a fight or 2, and then fight Spence some time late next year. I don't think he'll run from Spence.
                    NO way he fights Spence next year, especially when he fights once a year. Thurman is going to end up holding those belts hostage or get one stripped by fighting once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by cally93 View Post

The question is what does the fighter that is NOT chosen first, do in the interim? If Thurman chooses Peterson (most likely, coming off surgery) next, what does Porter do in the meantime? Also, the IBF currently does not have a fighter rated #1, nor #2. What are they going to do to determine who is the mandatory for Errol Spence Jr.?

Comment

Working...
                      X