Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The UFC will get into promoting Boxing soon -- Call me crazy but...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget about it . Won't happen.

Comment

See what it says on the cameraman's T-shirt....?

"Zuffa Boxing"

Zuffa was the parent company of the UFC before they sold to WME-IMG.
      Dana Doucheface
      - "I don't wish any ill-will to the sport of Boxing"

Last edited by USMCer; 07-11-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

UFC is peanuts bro.

This fight is a mockery of the sport. It should be banned.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
          UFC is peanuts bro.

This fight is a mockery of the sport. It should be banned.
          I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you're serious (and thus, silly).

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
            Call me crazy, but I'm getting the sense that the UFC is going to get into Boxing.

WME-IMG made a huge investment in this thing (the UFC) and I think they see potential in Boxing. To establish themselves in the sport of Boxing in the "UFC" style.

There is no "brand" in the sport of Boxing.

When you say Football, you think The NFL
            When you say Basketball, you think The NBA
            When you say MMA, you think The UFC
            When you say Boxing, ......?

The sport is there for the taking. It'd be an aggressive step, and take a huge commitment, and I think WME-IMG will be making a play to try to takeover Boxing.

- Listen to Richard Schaefer speak about the idea behind starting the World Boxing Super Series

- Listen to Dana White maybe hinting at something (I'm reaching here, admittedly, but still)

- Think of the level of commitment/that kind of investment, and the potential in adding another sport

- Think of TV distribution rights that the UFC has already established, and the potential multi-platforms
            Nope. There's something called the Ali Act that will keep the UFC out of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
              Great thread OP. I completely side with the idea that UFC going into promoting boxing would yield the best possible outcome for boxing. All boxing politics aside, the sport is in shambles with Haymon being the sole super power left standing on the wreckage.

GoldenBoy: IMO is a profitable brand for entertainment promotions but I believe their best days have passed them. Haymon is a calculated chess player and I don't see him throwing GoldenBoy a bone because why revive a hemorrhaging competitor? It's likely a management structure problem from the top down for GoldenBoy which is why nothing ever seems to go right for them. I'm not saying Haymon isn't tanking money either but he's at least in a position of strength with the most big names and a flexibility to adapt in a business climate..to do what needs to be done to strengthen and survive as a brand.

TopRank: Let's face it. Bob Arum is pushing 90 and honestly will not be here too much longer. It's completely rational to think a behemoth promotional company like TopRank that has been around for so long, would have the game plan to move on successfully if Bob were to pass. But in the event of losing someone who called the shots and brought order to TR, the possible infighting on top of exceeding expectations to get back on the horse to at least be competitive with PBC smells like failure.

RocNation: As much as a lot of us boxing fans despised Haymons bull in the china shop and unorthodox promotional tactics leaving the sport in the state it is in now, he at least has an intimate feel for the sport he so greatly influences. Haymon is making boxing his own and is in the position to take over the soul of boxing as the new heir. Jay Z or at least the RocNation management have one foot in boxing and one foot out. I don't see them willing to risk everything on boxing like Haymon has. That in itself smells like failure too. If Haymon has showed us anything, it's he's willing to take the sport to the brink in a cold war choking out the competition.

PBC: As for Haymons crown jewel in PBC he's simply made the right ambitious moves to easily take over going forward. Who would of thought this guy out of no where, burning all the bridges he did, would be the proper mastermind to takeover boxing-hopefully with positive results for boxing.

UFC: UFC has the stones and the voice of fight fans all over America and the world. I don't care for MMA/UFC but I respect the h*ll out of the package and aura it has created in their own lane. Boxing and combat sports in general is about blue collar society. Boxing has gone off the cliff into elitism where the essence of big fights is to be tailored for a classy higher class of the coat and tie society. It's a respect to the sweet science really for upper class intellectual society to see the sport as relative to the most competitive fields of professionalism. And it truly is. But the heart and soul of the sport should reside in it being more relatable to working class society like football and basketball. If boxing keeps going down this path of exclusivity under Haymon, where being a fighter is about being Donald Trump (flashy, classy, millionaire businessmen treating the profession as a trade rather than a craft) then it will turn into something like tennis where to partake in it is conducive to a privileged class of society. Dana White is someone who knows how to win and produce results. Trump has been a long time confidant to him and also copied the appeal for what Vince McMahon did to creating the breakthrough of WWE.

Bottom line, this sport needs fresh blood in it just like we needed fresh blood in our political establishment. Things need to change. Perspectives of the sport need to change. Boxing needs a makeover for a new age. Naturally the sports promotional power structure will breakdown leaving IMO Haymon in the driver seat. Just like Bob Arum needed Don King, Haymon needs his Don King in Dana White.
              Why would they lobby so hard against the Ali Act in MMA just to turn around and join a sport where the Ali Act is implemented? The UFC couldn't compete in boxing because they can't take advantage of the boxers like they do their own fighters. And they'd have to work with other promoters which decreases their take even more.

Comment

Comment

Rumor mill...

Middleeasy.com - JULY 16, 2017
                  • For the past several months, rumors of the UFC wanting to get into the business of promoting boxing have bubbled beneath the surface. Like Invicta’s upcoming foray into the boxing world, Zuffa Boxing not so subtle roll out this week during the Mayweather-McGregor media tour, will be very regional at first. Rumor is the sweet science events will be tested on UFC Fight Pass, and if successful may help the new UFC owners shop themselves to TV networks as “more than just a MMA” sports league
                  • Rumor is that all parties involved believe that the Mayweather-McGregor four-city media tour was a resounding success. Internal estimate numbers have leaked and many working on the August 26th event now believe it will break all pay-per-view records, with hopes that now six million buys is now attainable
                  • Huge if true, but talks are now that Conor McGregor’s final paycheck for his super-fight with Floyd Mayweather will be closer to 125 million dollars
                  Last edited by USMCer; 07-18-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
                    Call me crazy
                    You're crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                      You're crazy
                      Vote in the poll.

But before you do, listen to Doucheface stumble over the question...

Fight Hype -

at 1:05

Comment

Working...
                      X