Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's hear it. Who are YOU favoring for the SMW tourny?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's hear it. Who are YOU favoring for the SMW tourny?

Regarding the unknowns:

Cox seems to be a good body puncher coming from the southpaw stance. He also punches in volume.

Brant possesses one punch KO power.

Skolund is a toe to toe slugger

Yildrim seems to remind me of Khurtside a bit. He's a mix between him and GG in a sense that he has a really good left hook to the body. No real jab and very slow, but can go to the body and chop you down. Not sure what his chin is like

Braehmer seems to be the weakest of the bunch, imo

I've also seen highlights of Smith. From what I've seen, he looked to be pretty good.

Once I see how the brackets are officially laid out, I can make a better prediction.

From the few highlight vids I've seen, Smith should beat Skolund. Not sure how Groves vs Cox plays out yet for I'm giving Cox a good shot. Brant should beat Braehmur from the 2 minutes I've seen of Brant.

Yildrim should beat Abraham if he fights him and possibly beats Eubank as well. I'll know more after I see Abraham vs Eubank

These are my initial thoughts in the quarterfinals

I've got Callum Smith winning I don't think he is the most skilled or athletic but he's just gigantic. I don't see anyone at SMW beating him just because of the size of him he's like a scrawny CW.

Smith and Groves are a cut above the rest of the pack
    Yildirim is ordinary and terribly one paced, no special effects.
    Eubank Jr will make for some fun fights
    Braehmer is well past his best and I don't like old guys dropping down in weight.
    Brant, Skoglund and Cox are the weak links especially the latter two.

Comment

Not sure who i pick to win the whole thing. I pick Groves to beat Cox. I thought Cox looked pretty bad in his last fight against a journeyman. He got the win and a stoppage though. I don't quite rate Cox as highly as some seem to. I think Groves will stop him. For all the talk of Groves being fragile, chinny etc. Only Froch has managed to stop him and only Froch has beaten him convincingly. The Badou Jack fight was close and that was the worse version of Groves than todays version i think, he looked awful and sluggish under Fitzpatrick. Groves is arguably the most talented fighter in it on his day.

I'm interested to see Eubank if he gets past Abraham which i think he will at this stage of Abraham's career. It will definitely be a change for Eubank to show what he's got. I see him beating Yildirim too.

I still want to see Callum Smith in with a decent fighter aswell, he looks good so far but i wonder if he's like his other brothers and just falls a bit short at world level. He is huge at the weight though, so he will pose a lot of problems.

Juergen Braehmer could be a tough fight for Brant. Braehmer has a lot of experience and also had been campaigning at Light-Heavyweight but at 38, i wonder if the other guys will be too fresh for him.
      Last edited by TheBigLug; 07-08-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Cal Smith or Groves

Comment

Eubank Jr.

Comment

Smith is just going to walk through them all. Groves will make him look ordinary until the latter half of their fight, and then Smith will take him out. Kid is a f***ing terminator.

Most looking forward to Junior getting KTFO, though. Got a lot of respect for Groves, but I'm looking forward to Senior's tears.

Comment

Groves knocks Cox out that guys pure overrated especially his power. Why does he and fans think he's this big puncher? Baffles me.

Eubank Jr will beat Abe then beat the hell out of Yildirim - stoppage or wide decision.

Take it Smith is fighting Skoglund then? Vicious K.O in Smiths favour.

Braehmer I reckon by decision.

Groves should beat Eubank Jr but I wouldn't bet on it.
              Smith makes Braehmer quit

Smith probably stops Groves or comfortably outboxes Eubank Jr assuming they're the draws.

Comment

Groves is the safe pick but I've got a feeling Brant could do well. He seems relatively light on his feet while still possessing a good deterrent, which I think could cause these fighters problems

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                  Groves knocks Cox out that guys pure overrated especially his power. Why does he and fans think he's this big puncher? Baffles me.
                  Good assessment from the rest of your post.

I watched a 2 minute highlight of Cox and thought he was a good matchup with Groves. I'll go back and try to watch a few full fights of him.

But to be honest, Groves has been slipping lately which is why based off the highlight I saw of Cox and Groves slipping, I'm not too sure Groves takes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                    Good assessment from the rest of your post.

I watched a 2 minute highlight of Cox and thought he was a good matchup with Groves. I'll go back and try to watch a few full fights of him.

But to be honest, Groves has been slipping lately which is why based off the highlight I saw of Cox and Groves slipping, I'm not too sure Groves takes it.

Cox was a decent amateur and the type that looks better in the gym than under the lights IMO
                    He started his career bright and knocked out a few journeymen then went off the rails and fights as if he's a huge puncher which he isn't, he wasn't even at MW.
                    He's really hot-headed too and when he can't get a guy out of there tends to just swing for the fences and use a barrage of dirty tactics completely abandoning his basics. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets DQ'd.
                    I like the fact he's an actual real nutjob inside and outside the ring but I am yet to be truly impressed by him and he's certainly yet to live up to his potential and at 30/31 I highly doubt he will now.

Comment

Working...
                    X