No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pacquiao Wants WBO To Investigate, WBO is Not Interested

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Judging is not really subjective. There are clear criteria for judging a round such as who is landing the cleaner more effective punching. Which is the #1 criteria for scoring a round because of you will that it negates the other criteria such as defensive.
    This is true but we're still relying on our own perception of who is landing the cleaner more effective punches. Unless a fighter goes down or is visibly wobbled, we're really just making educated guesses about which punches hurt and which don't. We're not the fighter getting punched, so we're just guessing how effective each punch is.

I feel this is kind of the case with this fight. Outside of the 9th round, I don't think Pac landed many punches that hurt Horn, but others disagree. Sometimes Pac would get hit and bang his gloves together to showboat and people interpret that differently too. For some people it shows that Horn's punches weren't bothering Pac. For others it's a sign that Pac was stung and trying to cover it up by showboating. It all comes down to our own flawed interpretations of what punches are effective.

The only real way to take away all controversy, is to not rely on our judgement at all. Put sensors on the fighters that track every single punch landed, and track how powerful they were. But now that I think about it, even if the technology was perfect, there would still be debate. Why? Because you could have fights where fighter A punches hard but has a weak chin, and fighter B has an iron chin but doesn't punch as hard. Fighter A might be punching fighter B hard but having no effect. Fighter B despite being a weaker puncher, is still hurting fighter A because fighter A has a weak chin.

So the moral of the story is that there is no solution. People just have to live with the fact that there is no completely objective way to score boxing, and as such people will always have different opinions on who won.

Comment

I liked Teddy calling it a participation trophy. That was pretty funny.
      Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
      well, they all scored the fight differently

not sure what fight the 117-111 judge was watching

Comment

Working...
      X