Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People claiming eastern euro "phase" is "done", sad news for you..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People claiming eastern euro "phase" is "done", sad news for you..

Notable up and coming "eastern Euros":

Egidijus Kavaliauskas, Ivan Baranchyk, vasyli lomachenko, Oleksandr Usyk, Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Dmitry Mikhaylenko, artur beterbiev, dmitry bivol, GGG..Krzysztof Glowack.and I'm missing a bunch

Wlad and kov lost and people are freaking out, pump the breaks. Wlad and Kov lost 50/50 fights as well. Not to mention the nature in which sergei lost.

Eastern Europe's population is shrinking while their wealth is rising. There just won't be enough broke young men to support a boxing program soon. I think we will see a couple more waves, but not long term.

However on a numbers VS titles/accomplishments ratio... And the sport only being legalized there in the '90s... They had to have the most impressive rise of any. Completely washed out everything from 160-HW at one point.

Western response was bitterly pretending those divisions no longer existed. It was childish.

BTW what ushered in the 'end' of the current wave?
    Kovalev going 1-1 in extremely controversial bouts with Ward?

People are mighty fond of extreme exaggeration...
    Last edited by ////; 06-24-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Future PPV kings fa sho... Even Drago was the B-Side in his own country.

Comment

IDK why anyone would want this phase to end. Eastern Euros are good for boxing, as is any other nation that produces quality, exciting fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
          Eastern Europe's population is shrinking while their wealth is rising. There just won't be enough broke young men to support a boxing program soon. I think we will see a couple more waves, but not long term.

However on a numbers VS titles/accomplishments ratio... And the sport only being legalized there in the '90s... They had to have the most impressive rise of any. Completely washed out everything from 160-HW at one point.
          Yeah. People forget how much communism hindered access to international sports, gyms etc. It's been an EXTREMELY impressive rise from central and eastern European fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
            IDK why anyone would want this phase to end. Eastern Euros are good for boxing, as is any other nation that produces quality, exciting fighters.
            This ^. The absolute best thing for the sport is the greatest diversity possible. Hell I'd love to see the sport take off in China and India as well, and for some of the African nations to get more organised programs together.

Unfortunately the toxic racial opinions of a few have polarised opinions on NSB and the good of the sport often seems to come a distant second to scoring points over each other.
            Last edited by Citizen Koba; 06-24-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

They have some great amateur programs. That region will always produce superstar fighters. Kovalev has been a very solid pro. There is no shame in going 0-2 vs a fighter the caliber of Andre Ward.

I think the key is transitioning from amateur rules, where inside fighting is not a major factor and ref involvement is extreme to the pro game where the ref lets them fight in the trenches.

That's the make or break factor. Being a complete fighter that can be effective from all ranges.

I would like to see the fighters turn pro earlier so they can develop these skills that they will need to not only win titles but maintain dominance and be prepared when facing different styles.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                They have some great amateur programs. That region will always produce superstar fighters. Kovalev has been a very solid pro. There is no shame in going 0-2 vs a fighter the caliber of Andre Ward.

I think the key is transitioning from amateur rules, where inside fighting is not a major factor and ref involvement is extreme to the pro game where the ref lets them fight in the trenches.

That's the make or break factor. Being a complete fighter that can be effective from all ranges.

I would like to see the fighters turn pro earlier so they can develop these skills that they will need to not only win titles but maintain dominance and be prepared when facing different styles.
                Some good observations, man. Have some green.

It's a slow transition but signs are that there is movement in that direction. Certainly the antipathy towards the pro-sport that existed in the immediate post-Soviet period seems to be being gradually broken down. The question that remains is whether the strong amateur foundations will become eroded over time. If fewer top talents choose the amateur route will the extensive funding and support for the boxing programs gradually dry up?

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  This ^^^^^^^

Comment

They euro boxers need to practice being more "borderline".

Comment

Working...
                    X