• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
    Oh look....another one.

http://www.boxing.com/the_history_of...d_clashes.html

Oscar De La Hoya v Pernell Whitaker
    April 12, 1997
    Las Vegas, Nevada

Billed as “Pound for Pound” the second and third ranked boxers in The Ring would meet. Whittaker had gone on to become a four weight World Champion but returned to welterweight to take on the Golden Boy, Oscar De La Hoya. De La Hoya was a three weight world champion and had stopped Julio Cesar Chavez.

Whitaker uses sharp straights and spoiling tactics early. Oscar though is successful with his bigger shots despite Whitaker trying to take away his left hook. When Whitaker gets his jab away, a punch that lands 160 times in this fight, he tends to control the round. The fight is mainly Whitaker landing more punches efficiently and using great defense and pacing. De La Hoya was landing fewer power punches without hurting him. Whitaker managed to get the only knockdown in the ninth round. He out landed the bigger fighter and ringside observers all thought Whitaker had succeeded. However the judges saw it 116-110, 116-110 and 115-111 to Oscar De La Hoya, the new superstar of boxing.

Result: Oscar De La Hoya defeats Pernell Whitaker by Unanimous Decision

You originally said they were ranked one and two. So thanks for proving my point. You played yourself

Comment

True but there is no denying that Whitaker was one of the best in the world also when he fought DLH. He was pretty much undefeated if it wasn't for the first Ramirez fight.
      Whitaker barely squeaked by Wilfredo Riviera and was dropped twice by Diobelys Hurtado before the Oscar fight. He was not looking good leading up to that fight. But you can continue to try to spin a false story

Comment

Lol Whitaker was clearly past it when he fought DLH. Anyone who denies this is a spic.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          You originally said they were ranked one and two. So thanks for proving my point. You played yourself
          A win over a P4P Whitaker is better than the majority of Floyd's victories over his opponents. I didn't play myself at all.

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          Whitaker barely squeaked by Wilfredo Riviera and was dropped twice by Diobelys Hurtado before the Oscar fight. He was not looking good leading up to that fight. But you can continue to try to spin a false story
          That's not a false story, it's a fact. Whitaker was considered one of the best in the world when Oscar fought him. You're the one trying to spin it. Many times in the history of boxing has a boxer looked ok in a previous fight only to look amazing in the next one.

Comment

A win over a P4P Whitaker is better than the majority of Floyd's victories over his opponents. I didn't play myself at all.

That's not a false story, it's a fact. Whitaker was considered one of the best in the world when Oscar fought him. You're the one trying to spin it. Many times in the history of boxing has a boxer looked ok in a previous fight only to look amazing in the next one.
            Still butt-hurt over your brother Manny losing to Mayweather.

Comment

Working...
            X