Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: George Groves Broke Jaw in Third Round of Chudinov Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the post fight presser, he was clearly having issues with his jaw.

Interestingly I took his non-commitment regarding DeGale as if he is poised for a slot in the WBSS. That broken jaw and subsequent healing might jeopardize that. So maybe the jaw-breaker is a deal-breaker?

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      ... The Ugly Kid proved to be a true warrior!...

... and he didn't even mention his injury!!!...

... and in the post fight interview he didn't forget to say how sorry he is for Gutknecht's fate...
      Now Groves has dropped the arrogant, sneering front he used put on earlier in career, her turns out to be a genuinely likeable guy!

Winning a world title after falling short 3 times - including getting KO'd in front of 80,000 fans at Wembley - is testament to his will and determination.

Now it turns out he did it with a broken jaw too!

Comment

Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post
        Wasn't a horrible stoppage he was taking punches and not defending himself. Watch the replay when the ref jumps in he nods at him. If it was a "horrible" stoppage the fighter would be the first to protest.
        It was definitely an early stoppage.

And I usually agree with the if a guy doesn't protest that means it wasn't horrible, but I don't believe that in a vacuum. I think some cats protest to make themselves look better sometimes despite being ok with the stoppage & I think some cats just accept that despite believing themselves able & certainly willing to continue they don't see the point in protesting cuz whats done is done.

I think Fedor could be the latter type in the Groves fight. He seems like a cat who's perfectly ok with going down swinging to me more often then not.

Rules are the rules doe & the ref can call it & I ultimately think Groves was gonna win regardless anyway so its probably much ado about nothing even if it was an early stoppage. Personally at that level I like see guys given more leeway to continue doe.

And to the TS, respect to Groves for toughing through the rest of the fight with a jacked up jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          It was definitely an early stoppage.

And I usually agree with the if a guy doesn't protest that means it wasn't horrible, but I don't believe that in a vacuum. I think some cats protest to make themselves look better sometimes despite being ok with the stoppage & I think some cats just accept that despite believing themselves able & certainly willing to continue they don't see the point in protesting cuz whats done is done.

I think Fedor could be the latter type in the Groves fight. He seems like a cat who's perfectly ok with going down swinging to me more often then not.

Rules are the rules doe & the ref can call it & I ultimately think Groves was gonna win regardless anyway so its probably much ado about nothing even if it was an early stoppage. Personally at that level I like see guys given more leeway to continue doe.

And to the TS, respect to Groves for toughing through the rest of the fight with a jacked up jaw.
          ... ffs, man!

... did you forget how Groves turned Gutknecht into a vegetable, only one fight before!

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            ... ffs, man!

... did you forget how Groves turned Gutknecht into a vegetable, only one fight before!
            This is boxing *said in GGG voice*

Its gonna happen that people get severely injured or killed.

Can't stop a guy from achieving his max potential in his chosen professional cuz some guy got severely injured or died. That'd be like having race car drivers max out at 90 mph on a track someone died at recently. Boxing is boxing. Its not for the feint of heart if you are a fan, a ref or boxer.

Comment

It was a good stoppage. Groves can crack, his power is no joke. Froch was saved by the bell in the first round of the first fight, i've seen Froch dropped but he was on ***** street that time and Gutknecht is basically braindead now.

You can't let a guy like Groves be landing shot after shot while the opponent is not defending himself and not throwing back.

Comment

terrible stoppage.

' someone died in another fight so every time there is a bad stoppage we can just say but another fight doe'

Comment

Now that's a warrior! I was reading his notes today and he said he knew he felt something wasn't right, and he just kept fighting. You don't have to call yourself a warrior. Others would see what you do and call you a warrior.

Comment

Can't stop a guy from achieving his max potential in his chosen professional cuz some guy got severely injured or died. That'd be like having race car drivers max out at 90 mph on a track someone died at recently. Boxing is boxing. Its not for the feint of heart if you are a fan, a ref or boxer.
                    ... again: ... ffs, man!!!!!

1) I don't get that "*said in GGG voice*" quote...
                    2) ... of course!!! but what has to do with this a fighter showing compassion regarding an opponent he krippled into the ring??? I simply don't get it!

Comment

you're right but what refs, corners and commissions do is try to minimize that. The ref would have been aware of Grove's power. Aware that his last opponent died. What he did not want to see is Chudinov's head act as a punch bag for 40/50 seconds. It was a very good stoppage and could even have come ten seconds earlier.

Comment

Working...
                      X