Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Suggests Crawford's Next Fight Won't Be Televised by HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I think UK dudes just like boxing like US people used to just like boxing. I think right now the UK is a place anyone could potentially go, just like in the US, & get paid. I mean a decade ago a guy like Tank isn't going to the UK to defend his belt this early in his career. A guy like Spence wouldn't be going to the UK to fight for his first belt vs a threat like Brook. UK is for serious these days.
    Even GGG wanted to go to fight Sanders and Eubank. Ended going to the UK to fight Brook. Now the UK has the baddest man in the planet Joshua.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStomps View Post
      I think your wrong on this. HBO don't need Top Rank. They have Canelo, g string, Kovolev, Ward, Lemiux, chocolatito, and plenty of Golden Boy prospects that are ready for HBO like JoJo Diaz, Corrales, De la Hoya, Berchelt, ect..
      So HBO will be alright without TOP RANK
      If Ward beats Kovalev again and walks to Showtime (with the rumors of HBO blowing up at him for the Face-Off, yet not saying **** to Kovalev when he missed the face-off in front of a PPV audience that may have topped 1m PPV homes, I don't see Ward and his camp being all that happy to stick around with HBO), you're down two names.

Chocolatito getting beat (he's already beyond where he's physically maxed out, and fighters at those weights don't really last beyond 30 anyway) doesn't help either. JoJo Diaz is about ready to build for his own shows, but that's about it (running a 130lb tournament can also help fill a few dates).

I just don't see HBO having even a 12-card year without Top Rank at this point. Three Alvarez shows (two of which likely for PPV, so HBO replays), maybe three Golovkin shows), a solo shot for JoJo Diaz (who'll likely get put onto Alvarez's bills when possible), a couple shows for the 130lbers, and then the rest of the shows basically as Boxing After Dark featuring prospects.

For the cost of your HBO subscription (folks who have the channel solely for boxing and the occasional movie), I doubt that that is enough to keep folks around.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Arum had over $100m pass through his company from the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, and was miserable with every cent of that because Floyd and his camp dictated the event efforts to him. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but making more money on a fight that he's ever made and still being miserable about it doesn't bode well for working under the PBC banner, imo.

Showtime doesn't have a relationship with Top Rank and haven't seemed inclined to try and explore such a relationship either (the folks in charge may have changed, but I don't think that the institutional memory of folks at Showtime/CBS have forgotten how Arum dicked them on the assumed Pacquiao deal), and Top Rank's efforts with the TruTV deal don't make it all that likely that Haymon risks his relationships with FOX/FS1 or SpikeTV for Arum, and I doubt that Arum can convince anyone else to give him his own deal.

Haymon puts his trust in steady folks; DiBella, Hearn, Michel, Marguiles of Warriors Boxing, Tom Brown of TGB, Ellerbe/Floyd, etc. Operators who don't burn bridges, can properly execute events and, in essence, simply do the job without pissing folks off.
        Actually Haymon and Hearn/michel are on the outs. See the lack of a pbc date for beterbiev-barrera and beterbiev trying to leave Michel. Haymon is trying to take Stevenson away from Michel too. Same with lee Selby and Hearn

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          If Crawford's last name didn't have any vowels he'd already have an HBO date lined up
          ??? HBO doesn't do boxing anymore. NO ONE is getting fights with HBO.

Comment

Easter Jr is headlining his 2nd PBC on BounceTV card in about a month. If the rumors are true, BounceTV was one of the paying shows, so there goes that point. You add that Easter Jr is also selling out his 8k-seat building in Toledo, and you get onto even shakier ground.

How many shows has Beltran headlined again?

Beyond that, in what world does Crawford make anywhere near what Broner makes on a fight; Broner owns his own ****ing show, lol. About Billions gets the rights fee from Showtime, the proceeds from the live gate in Cincinnati, event sponsors, the share from the international TV rights, the other revenues, and that all gets shared with Adrien Broner, who then pockets whatever other personal sponsorships that he can get.

Crawford gets his purse, but don't fool yourself into thinking that Top Rank isn't keeping the back-end money.
            bromer got 700k for klimov while crawford got almost 1.4mil for postol. Nice try though.

Crawford gets over 10k in all his fights in Omaha and had almost 8k in Vegas for postol so U lost There too.

And stop lying in saying it's easter's 2nd bounce card in a month when the other one was in February. We're heading into June.

Nice try's though. Gotta give u credit.

Bounce is low budget shows. Look at their list of shows and fights.

Comment

Arum made a quip about keeping quiet because he didn't want to see his car all shot up. The Broner fight isn't even on his mind (in a similar position to the Floyd talks, Broner has his own promotional company, his company has a firm position with Showtime, and Crawford not being the draw would leave Top Rank being dictated to by About Billions Promotions, something that Arum wouldn't let stand).
              lol at boner having his own promotional company. its just marketing bs

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                NEW YORK Bob Arum made it clear Saturday night that he won't wait around for an HBO date before scheduling Terence Crawford's return to the ring. Crawford's promoter wants the unbeaten WBC/WBO super lightweight champion to fight sometime in the summer. If that means finding a television partner other than HBO, so be it.
                [Click Here To Read More]
                I think this is a good move. Crawford is a great fighter. The more people that see him the better. He needs to build a fan base. He also has to watch his conduct outside the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Thats why it was my distant 3rd option.

Like I said doing something with Hearn for Indongo seems like the most likely next move to me. The US seems doable, but I wouldn't completely take the UK off the table although its a valid point that a non-UK main event fight makes less sense.

I think the Broner move is viable & certainly a possibility, but I have no faith that Broner will get what he wants to be paid to sell another L on his record. Guy couldn't even agree to a career high payday in a more winnable fight vs Manny that would have given him bigger future paydays if he won. I can't see him accepting less money for a worse fight for him that has less upside even if he does win cuz nobody knows who the f#ck Crawford is still.

I suspect Arum is gonna do his own Haymon version of flipping the script soon with whatever this Steve Kim mystery move is that to me sounds like it maybe a deal with a streaming service like Amazon, FB, Hulu, Netflix & Crawford might be the guinea pig for that. And if that gets put out in the media any time soon thats gonna be the move with Crawford vs f#cking somebody & I'd assume Indongo still. I can't believe Indongo is just randomly coming to the US to be in audience for the Crawford fight without anything going on behind the scenes.
                  Personally, I think Broner was fair to stand by his guns on the Pacquiao talks; by not agreeing to Broner's terms, Top Rank went from having a fight that HBO would've likely gladly picked up and put extra money behind marketing, to a fight that HBO wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. In a monetary value, Broner likely does double the business with Pacquiao that Jessie Vargas was able to do.

Shooting into the dark, it's my guess that Hearn goes with Indongo-Crawford in the UK (Kell Brook, James Degale, and Anthony Joshua are all tied in with Showtime, with Callum Smith on the cusp of joining them there, so a UK paired option is limited).

In thinking of a UK fight, big enough to pair with the matchup, the only fighters that comes clear in my mind are Tony Bellew, Dillian Whyte, and Derek Chisora.

Whyte-Chisora II may end up being a big enough fight to make Crawford-Indongo work in the UK (with the added benefit of the path being clear for Top Rank to have the full event rights in the US, with no concern over sharing the US feed with Showtime).

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
                    Actually Haymon and Hearn/michel are on the outs. See the lack of a pbc date for beterbiev-barrera and beterbiev trying to leave Michel. Haymon is trying to take Stevenson away from Michel too. Same with lee Selby and Hearn
                    Haymon and Hearn are partners in a Sky Box Office event that will likely put 30,000 people into Brammal Lane to watch their hometown hero; find it hard to view that as Hearn and Haymon being on the outs (made less plausible by the reality that Callum Smith and Anthony Dirrell are set to fight on relatively neutral grounds).

Trying to bring up Beterbiev-Barrera is also a red herring, in that Barrera backed out of a fight that Michel/Beterbiev were set to take to Florida with a TV date in mind though no finalized (Beterbiev-Koelling is also set to be finalized with a US TV date that makes the most sense for everyone).

The same could be said about trying to talk up strife between Selby and Hearn (who was afforded the opportunity to fight on Hearn's show after his US opponent came up with a bad blood test).

nice try, though

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      If Crawford's last name didn't have any vowels he'd already have an HBO date lined up
                      Lol wtf does that mean? I'm assuming you're saying that fighters with no vowels in their last name are the ones with HBO dates lined up? Give me a list of fighters who don't have vowels in their last name.

Comment

Working...
                      X