That was a GREAT way to announce the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was a GREAT way to announce the fight

THAT's how you promote.

Sure, it looked a little clunky and awkward but that's cos this is boxing and this sport doesn't really know how to market and promote itself.

But with all those eyeballs, you announce a fight like that - Canelo directly calling out Golovkin, a GGG promo on the screen, Seven Nation Army playing, the walk-out.

That was badass. Now it makes sense why GBP didn't want them to take the Saunders fight.

I understand we are boxing fans and are nature is to be miserable and cynical - but let's acknowledge that was great.

Or would you rather a press release to website to announce the fight?

Canelo had some good lines too

Comment

IF and it's a Big IF . If Canelo wasn't in on it ( and he shoulda been ) . It seemed a bit disrespectful to play a GGG promo on the big screen while Canelo celebrates his win . The reason I say If is ... Canelo looked a lil surprised and bothered while this was going down . Plus it was a lil corny . Thought I was watching WWE for a minute .

Comment

Yea it was solid. The light dimming was a bit much for me. I like boxers having theme songs doe so fair play to them DJing that up for 5 seconds or whatever.

Don't love that it was on a PPV that this went down, although idk if you could exactly do this on the Ellen show either so fair play with that cuz its not like I got a better idea that's viable off the top of my head. I just hope they've made the moment that only people watching live saw into a YouTube promo for the fight in September already.

Comment

Nelo had good lines ready too lol. That "Golovkin you are next my friend" will be used for commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter's Dad View Post
            THAT's how you promote.

Sure, it looked a little clunky and awkward but that's cos this is boxing and this sport doesn't really know how to market and promote itself.

But with all those eyeballs, you announce a fight like that - Canelo directly calling out Golovkin, a GGG promo on the screen, Seven Nation Army playing, the walk-out.

That was badass. Now it makes sense why GBP didn't want them to take the Saunders fight.

I understand we are boxing fans and are nature is to be miserable and cynical - but let's acknowledge that was great.

Or would you rather a press release to website to announce the fight?
            Other than the seemingly scripted lines, I thought it was great.

Comment

Too bad the announcement was better than the event.

Comment

Felt like a forced cheesy promo. But hey to each their own, right?

Comment

yea ,"Golovkin you are next my friend" was funny af

Comment

Don't know why they've never done this. Yeah, disrespectful to the loser but it's Chavez Jr in this case so f uck it. Whoever doesn't know GGG has a chance to google or youtube him now. It's also within the target audience...a lot of eyes at once.

Comment

Working...
                    X