That was a GREAT way to announce the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Porter's Dad View Post
    THAT's how you promote.

Sure, it looked a little clunky and awkward but that's cos this is boxing and this sport doesn't really know how to market and promote itself.

But with all those eyeballs, you announce a fight like that - Canelo directly calling out Golovkin, a GGG promo on the screen, Seven Nation Army playing, the walk-out.

That was badass. Now it makes sense why GBP didn't want them to take the Saunders fight.

I understand we are boxing fans and are nature is to be miserable and cynical - but let's acknowledge that was great.

Or would you rather a press release to website to announce the fight?
    You mean the same way they announced the Joshua/Klitschko fight.

Comment

Too cheesy.

"Luck is for the mediocre" was a dope line though.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
        You mean the same way they announced the Joshua/Klitschko fight.
        No, I meant the way they announced this one. This had a whole big production attached to it, for a fight that the boxing world has been begging for. GGG even got his ring walk FFS.

And even if they did rip it off from Wlad-AJ - so what? Smart to rip off the best promoter in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
          Too bad the announcement was better than the event.
          The fight sucked. Like, really bad. Reminded me of most of Mayweather's PPVs, where the life was sucked outta them quite quickly.

Comment

It was great, felt like an event in itself.

I liked how Canelo got irritated with the length of the promo video, 'where are you?'

Comment

Originally posted by Mojita View Post
              Felt like a forced cheesy promo. But hey to each their own, right?
              Agreed but that was the first time I seen an announcement like that and so props for creativity

Comment

Yeah, it's never been done before. It also saved Golden Boy/HBO hundreds of thousands of dollars in promotion. Everyone is available, so why not do it now?

Comment

I was glad the fight was announced but didn't really feel the cheesy WWE type announcement. If it's a fight that fans want to see they'll flock to it no matter if it was announced the way it was last night or just on a sports show with a press conference

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                    I was glad the fight was announced but didn't really feel the cheesy WWE type announcement. If it's a fight that fans want to see they'll flock to it no matter if it was announced the way it was last night or just on a sports show with a press conference
                    Yeah they shouldve told both guys to at least ACT like they don't like each other. They were being far too polite...people love story arcs so they should've helped create a rivalry by NOT being nice lol XD

Comment

it was ****ing gay. it was a poor mans version of wwe at best. so they have to shoot confetti around and make a big spectacle of canelo accepting a fight he's been ducking for the last year and a half?

Comment

Working...
                      X