Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua vs Klitschko smashes PPV record - does 1.5+ million buys!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    First of, Hearn at no stage says he even knows what the PPV numbers are so yeah...article flop, headline bs, as usual from the tabloids and Hearn.

Second, the number mentioned is £1.5 million...that's currency, not buy rate. Did you even bother reading the article?

On top of al that, as far as I know, Sky have never released PPV figures and until it comes from them, there is no reason to ever believe what Hearn has to say.

this was a huge fight, but the facts should always be clear and TS should actually read his articles before he tears his union jack boxer shorts off and waves them around.

article isn't all that clear, to be fair to him. if they sold 1.5 million in total PPV it would not be a raging success. if they sold 1.5 million ppv in a country with about 60-70 million people it would be damn impressive. they also had close to 100K in the building, and brits, uhhh, go to pubs for this stuff or so i am told. so the real figure of how many people watched the event would put it in rarified air, considering that it was boxing and that you had to pay to watch it in some regard.

i'll wait for sky sports to release the buys, the way they always do. it's too early for that right now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
      Limited? Lol!!!
      I say its limited cuz idk that I was a fan of anyone Klitschko fought, but apparently you think everyone who thought Klitschko was boring wanted Ray Austin & Alex Leapai to win or something weird like that. Some cats are just boring. It is what it is.

Lack of personality? So what?!?! He's professional about his sport. Not everyone is going to be all loud and shit.
      I didn't say he had to be loud. And yea he is professional. And its not like that's the only way to do things I'm just saying if a boxer isn't interesting in or out of the ring its not doing him any favors for being seen as exciting & capturing the publics imagination.

His lack of destruction for a HW?!?! LOL again! He's knocked out most of his opponents with over 75% KO ratio. How the hell is that lack of destruction?
      Man why do some of you cats gotta be difficult with the most basic of premises.

I'm not saying he couldn't KO a guy in 10 rounds. I'm saying he wouldn't KO a guy in 3 rounds that he coulda KO'd in 3 rounds cuz he took the less risky approach to winning fights. Fair play to him for that, but lets not act like its not a decision that gets one deemed a less than exciting fighter in particular when we are talking about a HW.

Destruction sells. Destruction brings in fans. I mean how many 90 second KO Tyson fights did fans complain about? Not many. People loved every second of that destruction.

Jab jab hold? Hello Andre Ward! That goes back to my first comment. People call that crafty when Ward/Hopkins do it but when Wlad does it, it's boring. If Wlad was so boring, this fight wouldn't of sold the way it should of, Wlad wouldn't be popular in Germany(hey!! it's another country) and many other things. Cut the bullshit hating. You haven't seen 50ish Klitschko fights either so quit lying.
      OWard & Bhop are two of the most boring fighters of this era right along with Klitschko. Fell free to go search some of my previous posts.

Ward is hands down the most boring fighter P4P right now in my eyes. Idk how that takes away Klitschko's boringness doe lmfao so weird a$$ attempt at a racial argument or whatever that was.

And lol at me lying about seeing 50ish+ Klitschko fights. Why would anyone even lie about something like that ffs? I ordered a DVD of Klitschko brothers fights back in the day from some sketchy boxing DVD guy & caught many of the early fights + his last 30 odd fights over the last 15 years have been easily watchable live or online whenever you wanted to watch them. Hell all his fights might be online somewhere by now I just haven't looked recently.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        i'll wait for sky sports to release the buys, the way they always do. it's too early for that right now anyway.
        They never do, unfortunately. We'll just have to take Hearn's word on it

My own impression is that it was a huge success though. It got primetime coverage on BBC and ITV news and backpage coverage with the major newspapers. It crossed over in a way that a boxing event has not for a long time. Joshua is up there with the top football players, Andy Murray, Lewis Hamilton, Mo Farah, etc., now

Comment

hm.. I think we will see the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            this was a huge fight, but the facts should always be clear and TS should actually read his articles before he tears his union jack boxer shorts off and waves them around.

article isn't all that clear, to be fair to him. if they sold 1.5 million in total PPV it would not be a raging success. if they sold 1.5 million ppv in a country with about 60-70 million people it would be damn impressive. they also had close to 100K in the building, and brits, uhhh, go to pubs for this stuff or so i am told. so the real figure of how many people watched the event would put it in rarified air, considering that it was boxing and that you had to pay to watch it in some regard.

I've never seen Sky release figures, but I could be mistaken as I don't normally concentrate on that sort of stuff BUT the fight did have a large audience. It was probably the most talked about fight since Groves v Froch 2...actually, definitely the biggest.

Btw, I'm quite sceptical Pac v May did 1.5 mill buys in the UK. Where does that number come from?

Comment

Cool it seemed like it was a huge success. It will be interesting to see what quality heavyweight boxing can bring to the table because there are some nice fights for Joshua out there if things go right for him.

Comment

Good for both guys and the sport.

Anyone know what they cost?

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
                  1.5 million ppv's in the UK only lands it around 7/8th in the all time PPV buy list.

it's absolutely considered alot in a country that only has a population of approx 66 million.

Also dont discount the amount of brits that watch that fight in bars and pubs. i reckon that fight reached 7/8% percent of the UK viewing audience.
                  No it would rank #1

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    First of, Hearn at no stage says he even knows what the PPV numbers are so yeah...article flop, headline bs, as usual from the tabloids and Hearn.

Second, the number mentioned is £1.5 million...that's currency, not buy rate. Did you even bother reading the article?

On top of al that, as far as I know, Sky have never released PPV figures and until it comes from them, there is no reason to ever believe what Hearn has to say.
                    yes he did mention the success in the post presser and said it tracked as the biggest ever. that's literally what he said.

Also, if you don't understand that the pound sign was a mistake I feel sorry for you. 1.5-1.6 mil numbers are trending everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                      Limited? Lol!!! I think it's the other way around dude. I pay attention to the worldwide part of the sport. Many only put into boxers they like or the color/flag mentality.

Lack of personality? So what?!?! He's professional about his sport. Not everyone is going to be all loud and shit.
                      His lack of destruction for a HW?!?! LOL again! He's knocked out most of his opponents with over 75% KO ratio. How the hell is that lack of destruction?

Jab jab hold? Hello Andre Ward! That goes back to my first comment. People call that crafty when Ward/Hopkins do it but when Wlad does it, it's boring. If Wlad was so boring, this fight wouldn't of sold the way it should of, Wlad wouldn't be popular in Germany(hey!! it's another country) and many other things. Cut the bullshit hating. You haven't seen 50ish Klitschko fights either so quit lying.
                      His post was entirely true. You can say what you want but 95% of boxing fans agree with his assessment of WK

Comment

Working...
                      X