Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Ward beats Kov w/o doubt the 2nd time will you consider him #1 p4p and FOTY

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he convincingly wins the rematch with Kovalev and beats a top guy at 175 later in the year such as winner of Fonfara/Stevenson, Beterbiev or hell even Joe Smith, he is in the running for P4P #1 and FOTY. Unless GGG can get and win a fight with Canelo, that also would put him in the running too. Can't forget Thurman if he lands a fight with the Brook/Spence winner and wins. Or, the Brook/Spence winner beats Thurman. There are too many "ifs" this early in the year.

Comment

theres a legitimate argument for ward as pound for pound number 1 if he wins clearly.

Comment

Until GGG loses, I'll never put Ward ahead of him P4P. Even Ward fans unknowingly agree, since I didn't see any of them asking to meet in the middle at 164 when Andre was the 168 champ

Comment

P4P - Yes
          FOTY - No, well not with 1 good win a year..

Comment

Clearly if he wins the rematch he is p4p #1. If he beats a another 175 pounder in fall ofcourse he should be fighter of the year. I am not a big Ward fan, but give the man his due. He beats Kovalev 2x's and Stevenson or Fanfora then of course.

Comment

If he beats him convincingly, yes I would consider him No 1. PFP.
              That might change depending what happens with GGG-Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                I'd say Ward beating Kov clearly and then another top 10 win makes a strong case for FOTY
                If he beats Kov and then beats Stevenson/Fonfara winner to become lineal, then maybe. If he beats Kov and then a Joe Smith Jr., I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
                  Listen, If you haven't got Andre as p4p no.1 then you have an agenda. There's nobody active, that has a better record than Ward. Pac & Wlad are past their prime.

Anybody that puts Loma on top of Andre shows the sport of Boxing disrespect. Even though p4p lists are subjective, you're not entitled to that opinion.
                  Ummm. Do you mean Dre at #1 already? P4P is utter BS anyway, but what if you felt Kovalev deserved the nod in the first fight? How would you have Dre above Kov?

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                    P4P #1 yes

FOTY likely not

I don't automatically assign FOTY to the best fighter per se, more so to the fighter whose year on it's own is most impressive, in context of who they were going into the year. So in FOTY polls I like to vote for fighters who pulled off major upsets or went from nobody to top fighter.
                    ^-This. Ward would be in the running for FOTY though. Imagine if Horn beats Pacquiao, Salido beats Lomachenko again, or someone like Spence beats Brook and another top welterweight. FOTY is up for grabs to me by anyone.
                    Last edited by Fists_of_Fury; 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      if he beat Kov and a decent guy i would

I understand where you are coming from though....there are some big fights this year....difference is, this one has two top 5 p4p fighters in it.

I think beating kov convincingly would be more impressive than Say joshua beat an old wlad....

this year is loaded with big fights....we shall see....good to be a fan
                      He is P4P King right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X