Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Ward beats Kov w/o doubt the 2nd time will you consider him #1 p4p and FOTY

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Ward beats Kov w/o doubt the 2nd time will you consider him #1 p4p and FOTY

Well provided he fights and beats someone by the end of the year...if he beats kov, clearly and gets a mandatory or voluntary defense in, he should get fighter of the year IMO and be considered #1 p4p

175 is heating up and if he beats Kov twice in a row he should get his just due and respect for beating such a tough guy

P4P #1 yes

FOTY likely not

I don't automatically assign FOTY to the best fighter per se, more so to the fighter whose year on it's own is most impressive, in context of who they were going into the year. So in FOTY polls I like to vote for fighters who pulled off major upsets or went from nobody to top fighter.

Comment

Depends on other fighters really, I'd expect the winner of Canelo/Golovkin to get it if it happens. Similarly winner of Joshua/Klitschko then goes on to unify against someone before the end of the year, theyd be in with a shout.

Comment

Eh, it depends.

For P4P he'd have to beat Kovalev without too much controversy and with Kovalev actually coming in decent shape. If Kovalev comes in overweight, has reported problems with his coach and looks terrible in the 1st round, a win over him doesn't do anything for me. The same goes the other way - if Ward looks like crap and obviously doesn't want to fight anymore (and retires), then Kov doesn't get any credit either.

But if they give us the fight all of us want and expect, then yeah #1 P4P without much argument.

As for FOTY, my criteria is generally at least 2 good fights. For example, if Lomachenko beats Mikey Garcia (and Sosa), he has a good shot. If Thurman beats a top5 WW in the Fall after Danny Garcia win, then he has a GREAT shot. If Golovkin fights and beats Canelo after a Jacobs win, he also has a good shot.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
          P4P #1 yes

FOTY likely not

I don't automatically assign FOTY to the best fighter per se, more so to the fighter whose year on it's own is most impressive, in context of who they were going into the year. So in FOTY polls I like to vote for fighters who pulled off major upsets or went from nobody to top fighter.
          I agree. You could have Sor defeat Chocalito again. GGG/Canelo winner, if it happens, would be a major contender. Loma, Mikey, Joshua as well if they win out.

Comment

Whoever wins this fight is P4P #1 for me

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
              P4P #1 yes

FOTY likely not

if he beat Kov and a decent guy i would

I understand where you are coming from though....there are some big fights this year....difference is, this one has two top 5 p4p fighters in it.

I think beating kov convincingly would be more impressive than Say joshua beat an old wlad....

this year is loaded with big fights....we shall see....good to be a fan

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                I agree. You could have Sor defeat Chocalito again. GGG/Canelo winner, if it happens, would be a major contender. Loma, Mikey, Joshua as well if they win out.
                I'd say Ward beating Kov clearly and then another top 10 win makes a strong case for FOTY

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                  Eh, it depends.

For P4P he'd have to beat Kovalev without too much controversy and with Kovalev actually coming in decent shape. If Kovalev comes in overweight, has reported problems with his coach and looks terrible in the 1st round, a win over him doesn't do anything for me. The same goes the other way - if Ward looks like crap and obviously doesn't want to fight anymore (and retires), then Kov doesn't get any credit either.

But if they give us the fight all of us want and expect, then yeah #1 P4P without much argument.

As for FOTY, my criteria is generally at least 2 good fights. For example, if Lomachenko beats Mikey Garcia (and Sosa), he has a good shot. If Thurman beats a top5 WW in the Fall after Danny Garcia win, then he has a GREAT shot. If Golovkin fights and beats Canelo after a Jacobs win, he also has a good shot.
                  he'd have a little less than 6 months to get one more fight in...thats why included if he beat someone else decent before years end

I think If say Thurman beat the winner of Spence vs Brook this year, he would be a great contender

Suppose if Mikey beat Linares and a decent guy

I cant spell his name but the guy who beat chocolatito, if he does it twice, he is a contender for sure!!!

Comment

Listen, If you haven't got Andre as p4p no.1 then you have an agenda. There's nobody active, that has a better record than Ward. Pac & Wlad are past their prime.

Anybody that puts Loma on top of Andre shows the sport of Boxing disrespect. Even though p4p lists are subjective, you're not entitled to that opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X