No announcement yet.

Kovalev Strategy to win on June 17th?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
    Distance, distance, distance, distance. Keep Ward at the tip of your jab. When he takes two steps forward, you take two steps backwards. When he gets inside, grab him, tie his arms up and don't let him work. Keep the fight on the outside and either get the stoppage by timing Ward as he tries to close distance or cruise to a points decision.
    This. Allowing Ward inside is a no-no. And that being said, Kovalev's stamina issues in that fight are what did him in in the second half of that fight. Ward did a wonderful job with his body work as well.

Comment

Do an Ivan Drago!

Comment

Keep the fight at range, and don't relent even if he thinks he's winning. He also needs to make sure he has the energy to neutralize Ward inside throughout the whole fight. A big reason Ward came back is because Kovalev couldn't clinch him like he did so successfully early.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
          Distance, distance, distance, distance. Keep Ward at the tip of your jab. When he takes two steps forward, you take two steps backwards. When he gets inside, grab him, tie his arms up and don't let him work. Keep the fight on the outside and either get the stoppage by timing Ward as he tries to close distance or cruise to a points decision.
          You sir know what you are talking about... The old Emanuel Steward style of boxing.

Comment

He needs to do a little bit more of the same things he did in the first fight. Ward is a smart fighter. If he makes some drastic changes Ward might be able to capitalize on it.

Comment

try to get the fight changed to a 4 rounder

Comment

conditioning to last all 12 rounds, attack non stop.

Comment

Keep the fight at midrange which he was doing in the early rounds. He tried to outwrestle Ward and prove a point and tired.

Ward doesnt have the arsenal to beat Kov at midrange. Ward has a tougher adjustment to make and that is how to close the gap without getting drilled.

I think kovalev will always have the upperhand early when they are both fresh because he has more weapons. Mid to late rounds when the pace is slower is when wards style starts to take over. Should be another close fight.
                  Last edited by TRTboy; 04-11-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Also looks like Kovalev is not in good shape

Comment

He had a decent plan the first fight. Keep it outside, don't let Ward work inside. Stay calm.

I expect to see a bit more fire this time. I would like to see some more body shots. I remember him hurting Ward to the body late in the fight, although he failed to make much of it. Ward did a lot more work to the body, and that seemed to help him out.

I have heard a lot of people say that Ward has him figured out and will pick up where he left off, but I don't buy that. I think Kovalev can execute a better fight than he did in the previous match. He was too passive and careful. It served him well to not be reckless, but he needs to take advantage of his power and accuracy and not be satisfied to just box. He can hit and he can hurt Ward, and I expect he will have the mindset to get it done next time.

I'm going out on a limb and saying Kov by stoppage.

Comment

Working...
                      X