Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The performance against Jacobs, may have helped Golovkin.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is not getting any younger

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
      Floyd had them exposed by Maidana, having a close fight in the first opus, them getting his teeth punched out wich also was quite unusual.

But at the end of the day he brought his A game vs Cotto and Manny.

Styles make fights.

Many thought he was quite done.
      Maidana was uniquely awkward and no one was going to replicate that. Floyd adapted to it and had little trouble with him after the first few rounds.
      I'm not sure what your argument is, that vulnerabilities aren't played upon? This is boxing, it's all about looking for weaknesses.

Comment

can we just all agree it was a great win and leave it at that? on to the next one....

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Having certain vulnerabilities exposed rarely works out well in the long run. If it's an "off-night", I absolutely agree with you. But, I think we saw age and a long suspected weakness to lateral footwork. I don't think either will be to his advantage, even if BJS and Canelo are finally willing to fight him.

As far as just GETTING the fights though, you're correct. No way BJS was going to fight him otherwise. He even said he wanted 2 tune-ups before Golovkin.
          GGG didnt look awesome against Jacobs, but what Jacobs offered cant be replicated by every dude.

He had reach, size, power, movement, switchhittting, counterpunching, no fear to get off first and to mixxed it up going for him.

Besides his movement, GGG was really bothered by Dannys power. Like Foreman always says: You dont follow a puncher around.

Without Jacobs power Golovkin would have probably walked right through him. I dont think either Canelo or Saunders can replicate this blueprint, but they each have their own strenghts.

Comment

If GGG was 25 and he had that issue with Danny then it would be water under the bridge but the fact that hes as a old as he is and Danny is the first guy he has faced that is of some sort of high end class and ability i say that when it comes down to athletics all of my favorite athletes i have seen them fall down.

Floyd after the Marquez fight was in the decline zone
            Peyton declined after his final years in Indy
            Timmy declined in 2007 but Pop kept him stable
            KG declined after he hit Boston
            Manny declined after the Margarito fight.
            Kobe after he won the 5th

It hurts to see mt favorite guys start to hit that downward stride but i love them as saviors of the game and glaring examples of how to be great and stay great but again, as talented as GGG is he is too old and he has handlers who act as if he is still ready and prime when he is in fact falling down. He was hit with basic lateral movement. Danny isn't some super boxer but he was ready for the worst and he handled it well. I just think its a waste for someone as great as GGG to be hitting his stride at age 35, then this age is the graveyard phase of most, if not all athletes. Hopefully he ages well like Bernard and Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
              GGG didnt look awesome against Jacobs, but what Jacobs offered cant be replicated by every dude.

He had reach, size, power, movement, switchhittting, counterpunching, no fear to get off first and to mixxed it up going for him.

Besides his movement, GGG was really bothered by Dannys power. Like Foreman always says: You dont follow a puncher around.

Without Jacobs power Golovkin would have probably walked right through him. I dont think either Canelo or Saunders can replicate this blueprint, but they each have their own strenghts.
              It was Sanchez's terrible gameplan that kept GG from walking though him. He repeatedly instructed Golovkin to "not get crazy" and "wait for him to walk into it". Danny's body shots were bothering him but he really wasn't emphasizing power.

GG fans seem to be saying a guy MUST be superhuman to beat him. Yes, having a variety of strengths is important but when you eventually see him beat, it'll be footwork that steals the show.

Comment

Possibly. The real issue for Golovkin is that the risk-reward ratio hasn't been appealing to opponents until quite recently. The risk looks a little lower after Jacobs purely because the aura of invincibility has been diminished.

Canelo is obviously a very different fighter to Jacobs but the point stands. Golovkin went from winning every fight easily to getting a contentious decision where there's an argument to be made that he lost. That has to lower the perceived risk on the part of potential opponents and their handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
                  It sure does seem that he became a more viable opponent overnight. There will be something to the first guy that beats him. They might be lining up for that now.
                  yea those 3 belts hopefully go with the wbo by the end of the year

Comment

Imagine if someone suggested Manny only signed to fight Floyd because he looked bad against Maidana.

This site is getting worse and worse each day!

Comment

It helped GGG to attract used-to-be scared fighters. True. Good for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X