Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The performance against Jacobs, may have helped Golovkin.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I bet canelo and bjs have the length, power, and speed ala jacobs on the fight night....nah

Comment

Jacobs came close but GGG won and is still undefeated. I think he will stay undefeated for a couple more years. His sub par performance did do him good. The fight he wanted most of all was a fight with Saunders. Saunders was always shaking like a scared rabbit at the thought of fighting GGG. Now that Jacobs did so well Saunders has got his nerve back and wants to fight GGG. It looks like GGG will make good money fighting Saunders in his homeland on June 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
        It sure does seem that he became a more viable opponent overnight. There will be something to the first guy that beats him. They might be lining up for that now.
        Viabilty never had anything to do with it; K2 is finally paying up money, and Golovkin has shown himself to not actually be super-human in the way he's been hyped for basically the last 4 years.

Lara wanted to fight him, Andrade wanted to fight him, Ward wanted to fight him, Andre Dirrell wanted to fight him, etc.

The notion that Golovkin has still been this super-avoided guy is foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Having certain vulnerabilities exposed rarely works out well in the long run. If it's an "off-night", I absolutely agree with you. But, I think we saw age and a long suspected weakness to lateral footwork. I don't think either will be to his advantage, even if BJS and Canelo are finally willing to fight him.

As far as just GETTING the fights though, you're correct. No way BJS was going to fight him otherwise. He even said he wanted 2 tune-ups before Golovkin.
          Billy Joe Saunders, even with seeing the glaring holes in Golovkin's game (doesn't really like to counter punch, offsetting movement seems to give him real issues, can seemingly be outboxed, still eats to many shots, etc), still isn't going to go to Kazakhstan (or anywhere else for that matter) for short money.

And Alvarez isn't going to overpay any further either

Comment

It'd be different but would likely play off of the same holes

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
            I can't see Canelo fighting the same fight Jacobs fought.
            Golovkin doesn't really like to counterpunch, has basically zero interest in fighting on the inside, and uses a heavy jab to try and keep the fight in that midrange.

Alvarez is a busy fighter and a nasty dude on the inside, has punches that flow beautifully in combination and on the counter, and Alvarez uses a heavy jab in his own right. You add that Golovkin doesn't like to move (which is the biggest hole in Canelo's game), and Golovkin has a new set of issue to try and figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              Golovkin doesn't really like to counterpunch, has basically zero interest in fighting on the inside, and uses a heavy jab to try and keep the fight in that midrange.

Alvarez is a busy fighter and a nasty dude on the inside, has punches that flow beautifully in combination and on the counter, and Alvarez uses a heavy jab in his own right. You add that Golovkin doesn't like to move (which is the biggest hole in Canelo's game), and Golovkin has a new set of issue to try and figure out.
              I just think GGG's jab is better than Canelo's.

GGG will win the jab battle IMO, he's longer than Nelo and has more authority in his jab.

So he'll be able to keep the fight mid range.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Having certain vulnerabilities exposed rarely works out well in the long run. If it's an "off-night", I absolutely agree with you. But, I think we saw age and a long suspected weakness to lateral footwork. I don't think either will be to his advantage, even if BJS and Canelo are finally willing to fight him.

As far as just GETTING the fights though, you're correct. No way BJS was going to fight him otherwise. He even said he wanted 2 tune-ups before Golovkin.

Floyd had them exposed by Maidana, having a close fight in the first opus, them getting his teeth punched out wich also was quite unusual.

But at the end of the day he brought his A game vs Cotto and Manny.

Styles make fights.

Many thought he was quite done.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Billy Joe Saunders, even with seeing the glaring holes in Golovkin's game (doesn't really like to counter punch, offsetting movement seems to give him real issues, can seemingly be outboxed, still eats to many shots, etc), still isn't going to go to Kazakhstan (or anywhere else for that matter) for short money.

And Alvarez isn't going to overpay any further either
                  Agreed but the thing is this, Golovkin has holes in his game, but also did show nice qualities.

-I thought his defense was quite OK, I mean, he never was seriously hurt or damaged. And DJ are tremendous offense.
                  - I thought his offense was right too, he was cautious and a bit gun shy but he never took risk and jabbed Danny in route to a UD, it was smart.

I thought he clearly won that fight, close fight agreed.

He solved a hard problem in Jacobs.

Dudes on the forum comparing him to an old Wlad, well, DJ ain't no some Jennings dude.

Hard to beat a longer, heavier guy who can fire fast combos from both stances.

Depending how we rate Jacobs but the next guy fighting him will have serious issues too.

I'm not sure about Charlo beating Danny anymore.
                  And I'm really buying the Charlo's hype.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                    I just think GGG's jab is better than Canelo's.

GGG will win the jab battle IMO, he's longer than Nelo and has more authority in his jab.

So he'll be able to keep the fight mid range.
                    According to BoxRec, Golovkin and Alvarez has the same reach, so I doubt the jab length difference are all that much; you add that Alvarez does an underrated job of changing his head slot and slipping jabs, Golovkin has a harder task than folks want to acknowledge (especially understanding that Alvarez has no qualms letting his hands go on the inside)

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                      Agreed but the thing is this, Golovkin has holes in his game, but also did show nice qualities.

-I thought his defense was quite OK, I mean, he never was seriously hurt or damaged. And DJ are tremendous offense.
                      - I thought his offense was right too, he was cautious and a bit gun shy but he never took risk and jabbed Danny in route to a UD, it was smart.

I thought he clearly won that fight, close fight agreed.

He solved a hard problem in Jacobs.

Dudes on the forum comparing him to an old Wlad, well, DJ ain't no some Jennings dude.

Hard to beat a longer, heavier guy who can fire fast combos from both stances.

Depending how we rate Jacobs but the next guy fighting him will have serious issues too.

I'm not sure about Charlo beating Danny anymore.
                      And I'm really buying the Charlo's hype.
                      Daniel Jacobs was just as leery of Golovkin's offense as Golovkin was leery of Jacobs' offense, with the performance styles showing accordingly; once Jacobs got hit with a big shot, and realized that the world had been lying to him about the monstrous puncher that Golovkin was, he was able to comfortably move into his groove, fight where he needed to fight, but otherwise utilize his skills.

No different than what I think will happen in the Ward-Kovalev rematch, with the mystique gone, Jacobs gets into his rhythm far easier, getting to the openings to land heavy shots quicker.

Whomever the "next guy" is, things that folks have been talking about in the shadows have no been confirmed; the Jacobs fight, the Brook fight, the Monroe Jr fight, the Rosado fight, and the Ouma fight [could add the Murray fight, since he was able to survive for 11 rounds].

Max out on your own skills and abilities, but those 5 fights give you an extremely clear portrait of the type of fighter that Gennday Golovkin is, and the types of bad habits he's developed

Comment

Working...
                      X