No announcement yet.

Andre Ward really is a wasted talent.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
    He should be well established as #1 pound for pound by now. He should have had about 40 fights. If he retires now he has an outstanding resume, but he needs to rematch Sergey Kovalev. Looking at his record, he had the potential to challenge Joe Calzaghe's supremacy as the greatest Super Middleweight of all-time. However inactivity has made that impossible now. The Super Middleweight division remains in limbo.

Ward should rematch Kovalev and then go after Adonis Stevenson. He could retire on those two wins and be remembered as the best of his generation. Just a shame that I think he could have got a few more wins if he'd been more active. An undefeated Lucian Bute was the first miss. Then not taking the Chad Dawson fight at Light Heavyweight. Then not fighting Bernard Hopkins, that would have been a great legacy fight.
    First of all joke cal-slappy is NOT the best middleweight of all time...Ward clearly beat kovalev, he dominated dawson and Hopkins was in his 40's when Ward was coming up...come on man! Ward is P4P King right now unless Floyd comes back. Adonis don't want that work and neither does 666...adonis aint even want it against Hopkins or kovalev.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      I somewhat agree. His stubborness outside of the ring caused a lot of inactivity and missed opportunities.
      You say stubborn I say smart...skills pays the bills...think about making a living getting punch in the head...besides he came back and is still winning...Ward P4P King unless Floyd comes back...

Comment

Ward is leagues above Calzaghe.

whooped Kessler, Froch, Abraham, Bika, Miranda, Green & Dawson.

moved up and beat Kovalev.

name an opponent Calzaghe beat that was as powerful and feared as Kovalev... prime and undefeated on top of it and top five P4P.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
          Ward is clearly greater and more accomplished than Calslappy.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
            Olympic gold medalist and unified champion in 2 weight classes?

What a waste of talent.
            This.

Although in theory I think you could argue every elite level fighter since the time of 4 belts taking over have had some talented wasted cuz of the lack of tip top matchups more often for the greatest fighters to have risen to their max level in the sport. Thats a structural problem with boxing today & the last couple decades more than a Ward thing doe.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
              A prime kessler. And a far more convincing win than headbutting his way to victory.
              Who did Kessler beat when he fought The Welsh Rabbit??

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean;17536594[B
                ]Ward is leagues above Calzaghe. [/B]

whooped Kessler, Froch, Abraham, Bika, Miranda, Green & Dawson.

moved up and beat Kovalev.

name an opponent Calzaghe beat that was as powerful and feared as Kovalev... prime and undefeated on top of it and top five P4P.
                They know it too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
                  Haha! C'mon daggum. I don't know who you're trying to troll with that statement.

And to that other fellow asking who has Joe Calzaghe beat. Well:

Chris Eubank, Sr.
                  Robin Reid
                  Jeff Lacy
                  Mikkel Kessler
                  Bernard Hopkins
                  Roy Jones, Jr.

Those are Joe's "top" wins. A combination of prime, top opponents, some of who were expected to beat Joe with ease. Also, some of the biggest names of Joe's era. Can't really ask for more.

Other notable wins over former champions at Super Middleweight:

Byron Mitchell
                  Richie Woodhall
                  Charles Brewer
                  Sakio Bika
                  When you take into account their age/prime that resume is pathetic for a so called ATG. Not Lil G pathetic, but still pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by LOLffler View Post
                    When you take into account their age/prime that resume is pathetic for a so called ATG. Not Lil G pathetic, but still pathetic.
                    How is that pathetic? Joe Calzaghe, in his career, beat past/present/future:

3x Lineal champions
                    3x Unified champions
                    10x World champions

He also unified titles on two seperate occasions, and won Lineal titles himself in two weight divisions.

Comment

Ward accomplished a hell of a lot but he could have fought much more often. If somebody believes he beat Kovalev then he probably should be number one PFP. I thought Kovalev clearly beat him and I never had Kovalev higher than 3rd PFP so Ward is about 8th on my top 10 PFP list. Ward has already done more than enough to be remembered as a great fighter. If he clearly beats Kovalev in a rematch and beats Stevenson all the better.

Comment

Working...
                      X