No announcement yet.

Why would anybody sign with Top Rank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    And GOT-DAMNIT, whatever network/promoter brings me the reincarnation of B-SUTH, will have my eternal gratitude!

Comment

Originally posted by adrikitty View Post
      And GOT-DAMNIT, whatever network/promoter brings me the reincarnation of B-SUTH, will have my eternal gratitude!
      Sutherland made Tuesday Night Fights

made that ****

Comment

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post
        Hey BOB!

It's 2017... your shettay company is in a death spiral. Nobody uses the milkman or shoe cobblers anymore.

PBC is on another level completely
        Hey buddy bob has the two next superstars of the sport in loma and Crawford and PAC still around, you got your facts all wrong, top rank is eating.

Comment

Top Rank needs to figure out something with an English language station to broadcast fights and not put on total BS. They still have guys so they can make it work but they do need to change some things up because their current model looks kind of broke unless HBO comes back strong.

Comment

All they have is some Spanish channel, 3-4 annual HBO dates and PPVS that will sell less than 50k.

If a prospect had any sense at all and their manager had an IQ over 40... they would all go the PBC route.
            The PBC route is a different bet, tbh; Haymon doesn't take anything on the front end, Haymon doesn't give much extra on the front end, and it's on the fighter to fight their way into the big purses. Compare that to the type of deal that Lomachenko got from Top Rank, where he was basically locked into sizable purses from the job, for simply giving over the years.

It'd be logical to go with the PBC route, but there are still fighters who would be more than happy ending up with a Timothy Bradley-type run; give Arum the years, fight good fights, and end up in the position where he's simply fighting for guaranteed purses to close out his run.

Comment

Originally posted by saintpat View Post
              Most guys sign with the best option available. PBC doesn't want everyone.
              a fair point

Comment

Shakur Stevenson made a horrible choice lol
                You can't really say that without having any hint at the deal that he signed. Is it a horrible choice if he ended up with something similar to the deal that Lomachenko got? Hi-Tech is 8 fights into his run and he's already a $1m fighter.

Shakur Stevenson isn't going to get moved that fast, but would you really have him walk away from a 5-year, $10m guaranteed deal (by the time he fights through the first 3 years of the deal, he's likely on the cusp of a world title shot)?

Comment

They do have a nice history. But bob hasn't made a single ppv star since PAC for as much praise as top rank gets

Comment

Because he has the best proven track record of any promoter in boxing.

Who do you think built up Oscar's career? Floyd's career?

Some of the best promotional work I've ever seen in my life is what he did with Chavez Jr. He took a kid with no natural athletic talent, next to no boxing experience, and made him an undefeated world champion, generating Chavez millions, and millions of dollars.

He got olympic reject Crawford on HBO, and has made him millions, two-weight world champion, and in position to continue making millions and go for a third title at WW.

Arum is a brilliant promoter... He actually BUILDS fighters, as in he progresses them.

No doubt I'd sign with Arum too if I was a hot prospect coming into the game.

Arum is also a very, very smart man, and recognizes things other promoters don't like market changes, and overseas opportunities, etc.

He's been doing it since Ali days... Just about every major boxer from the 60's through today has been promoted for at least a little bit, by Arum.
                    What are you talking about, Floyd's career jumped as soon as he left arum. That's why Floyd left him cuz he wasn't promoting him right and the way Floyd wanted so he fired him and bought out his contract. Arum made some paper-champs....He is whats wrong with boxing and the fighters.

Comment

Because he has the best proven track record of any promoter in boxing.

Who do you think built up Oscar's career? Floyd's career?

Some of the best promotional work I've ever seen in my life is what he did with Chavez Jr. He took a kid with no natural athletic talent, next to no boxing experience, and made him an undefeated world champion, generating Chavez millions, and millions of dollars.

He got olympic reject Crawford on HBO, and has made him millions, two-weight world champion, and in position to continue making millions and go for a third title at WW.

Arum is a brilliant promoter... He actually BUILDS fighters, as in he progresses them.

No doubt I'd sign with Arum too if I was a hot prospect coming into the game.

Arum is also a very, very smart man, and recognizes things other promoters don't like market changes, and overseas opportunities, etc.

He's been doing it since Ali days... Just about every major boxer from the 60's through today has been promoted for at least a little bit, by Arum.
                      Don't forget the money he made for Tim Bradley. That in itself is remarkable

Comment

Working...
                      X