Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I watched the fight with a bunch of casuals on Saturday.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
    I watched May-Pac with some buddies that were "SUPER EXCITED" for the fight. So I tell them that I'll be scoring the fight and they decide it's a great idea to do the same. I, of course, have to explain how to actually score rounds. That took a solid 45 minutes.

Before the fight starts, I tell them that I won't be telling them my score until the end so I don't sway their opinion. Mind you, we had to stream the fight (I was in college, no way to buy a PPV on campus) so we have this German stream.

All throughout the fight, I'm hearing their STUPID logic on why they thought Manny/Floyd won that round and this round. One guy was talking about how Karate is more entertaining than boxing. Another dude kept trying to talk about football. It was bad.

When it was all said and done, I scored it 7-5 for Mayweather and they were all shocked. All of them had it either 9-3 or 10-2 for Manny
    They was talking about football cuse there was nothing going on in ring

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
      They was talking about football cuse there was nothing going on in ring
      Yeah, May-Pac wasn't the most action packed fight, but it was FAR from the most boring fight I've ever watched.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
        Yeah, May-Pac wasn't the most action packed fight, but it was FAR from the most boring fight I've ever watched.
        There was many ditails .like manny's head movement ,his counters of Floyds Jab ,Floyd adjustments,but from action point it was one of lamest fights ,especialy for hyped PPV ,any way people more familiar with boxing knew it wont be war,but it hurt PPV numbers to this days.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
          not entirely. It takes 2 guys to make a great fight. You dont get Gatti-Ward or Barrera-Morales without BOTH guys doing their thing. If one side decides to stink out the joint, in many instances there isnt too much the other guy can do about it......
          Floyd tried to run against Maidana and Maidana went all in. If F wasnt allowed yo clinch the story would ve Been different. Thurman is no clincher, García was afraid.

Comment

ZERO fuking problems with Thurman style. You know he can turn into "Run Time" as casuals call it so if you don't come prepared to cut the ring off please STFU about "MY OPPONENT RAN" this is BOXING and we need to treat Boxers like Boxers and not CHILDREN and make excuses for them after they lose

Danny couldn't cut the ring off and since he couldn't cut the ring off he lose, he finally had a decision go against him after having about 3 in his career that we all consider questionable that went for him! Mayweather didn't start **** fukin Willie Pep use to win rounds without throwing punches allegedly so movers been around before most of our Parents was fuking born!

What young fighters need to do is watch some Sandy Saddler, watch how he dealt with Willie Pep and why he had Pep number! GET DIRTY! Fuk this nice guy Fan Approval Bull**** especially when they're trying to win the Approval of the dumbest fans in all of SPORTS and for most of these guys winning fan approval in this ERA is just IMPOSSIBLE

If Foreman didn't purse Ali that fight would've been boring, if Frazier didn't purse Ali and went after him that fight would've been boring. It takes 2 Fighters to make a great fight not just one doing everything while the other struggle to move his feet and throw punches at the same time lol which is what happened to Danny he CANNOT move his feet and throw punches at the same time so while he move his feet he stops letting his hands go
            Last edited by sicko; 03-07-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
              Some of y'all are simply either too dayum lazy (or ignorant themselves) to actually teach and explain the sport to their 'casual' friends.
              Dude I've tried. Hard. It goes in one ear and out the other. By the time you're done finishing saying whatever it is you're saying, in a completely futile and pointless attempt to convince them, by the time you wrap up your last point they've already forgotten 100% of what you just said and are now thinking about who the Cowboys should sign in free agency and LeBron James' latest stat line in some meaningless February game against the 76ers.

Comment

Well luckily for boxing, the UFC pay per view main event was way worse than this fight. So in terms of hurting the sport, I think boxing was saved by the mediocrity of the UFC

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                  Blame it on Danny. He was ok with losing the fight. Didnt go for the KO when he had no choice.
                  Danny was outclassed. Thurman is a natural WW who is bigger, stronger and faster than Garcia. At 147, Danny was a paper champ. On Saturday he showed he has heart and a good chin but the outcome was never in doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I did my best explaining how big a fight this was -- a unification fight (had to explain unification to them), two top five (in the world), arguably top 3 welters in the ring together, both of whom came in undefeated and in their primes.

So yeah I probably set the expectations a bit high for these casuals, but whatever, it really was a big fight. They asked me if I would've paid a full price PPV price tag for it and I said I would have (which is true).

So after the fight, no check that, even during the fight...around the 8 round mark, they were already groaning and talking **** about how lame the fight was.

One guy asked me, "is this how every single boxing fight is?"

I told him "no, not at all", but you could tell that in his mind, THAT (Thurman vs Garcia) was every boxing fight ever in the history of boxing. Another was like, "the last five fights I've seen were just as boring as this one".

I've always tried my best to defend the sport, but f**k it, I'm done, I mean either you like it or you don't.

Would I have liked to see Thurman not hop on his bike for the last few rounds? Obviously. I don't wanna call the dude a b*tch, because the guy would obviously lay me the f**k out in the first tenth of the first second of the first round, but come on, man. There was a chance for Keith to really make a statement and emphatically whoop Danny's ass, but instead he opted for what was basically boxing's version of football's prevent defense. I'm not saying you gotta be stupid and reckless just for the sake of entertainment, but there's a medium somewhere, isn't there? The dude may as well have been on a ten speed bicycle for f**k's sake.

But anyway, I digress. The casuals are bloodthirsty -- they wanna see brutal KO's and high drama in the ring. And if that don't happen then to them, the fight "sucks", and the whole entire sport "sucks". They don't grasp the concept that sometimes it's possible to have two highly skilled champions in the ring that doesn't produce guaranteed fireworks, and that yes, sometimes it's way more of a chess match than it is a bloodbath.

But I guarantee you this...fair or not, Saturday night didn't help the sport. It only reinforced why the vast majority of the public doesn't go out of their way to watch boxing.
                    Good post.

I think there is a balance that can be found between boxers wanting to protect themselves, and preserve their careers, but also putting on entertaining fights.

Fans want to see competitive fights with two-way exchanges; they want to see boxers going for it.

I try to see both sides, and I think there's a balance that can be had.

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
                      Danny was outclassed. Thurman is a natural WW who is bigger, stronger and faster than Garcia. At 147, Danny was a paper champ. On Saturday he showed he has heart and a good chin but the outcome was never in doubt.
                      Outclassed? maybe.
                      Thurman bigger? no, they are the same size.

Garcia had to go ALL IN in the last four rounds. He had already lost the fight after the 7th.

I BELIEVE he would have caused serious damage to Thurman if he risked and desided to go ALL IN. Maidana style. There was also a chance he ended up being KOed. So what? he had already lost. Yeah but it's better for your image to lose a "close fight" instead of being KOed I guess.

I say all this while I was rooting for him... I was watching the fight, waiting for Danny to connect, to do something. I believe he showed in the last round that he had the tools to hurt or bother Thurman but he was too scared to take that risk. As I said before, bad advice from his corner didn't help.

Comment

Working...
                      X