No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Welterweight Ghosts That Won't Go Away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Welterweight Ghosts That Won't Go Away

By Tris Dixon - Ghosts linger in the welterweight division. Maybe it is because Sugar Ray Leonard loitered, incredibly youthfully, through fight week in New York. Maybe nostalgia loomed in part because CBS/Showtime compared the welterweight unification fight between WBA champion Keith Thurman and WBC ruler Danny Garcia to the first clash between Leonard and Tommy Hearns back in 1981 on some of their promotional artwork...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Whether Mayweather or Pacquiao still loiters around the boxing world, it is difficult for either of these champions to get their spotlight.

When Mayweather was on top of the WW, he was exploiting the champs and exposing them as well as getting the dollars.

When Pacquiao was on his peak, he was bombing every named and pound per pound opponent on his way while jumping from one
    division to another.

Considering the top so called "champs" right now who would do more business than fight the next best opponent plus taking a year off altogether - that must be one difficult road!

Comment

Leonard ,Hearns,Duran or Hagler and company.....e.g. (the blade)......$#!+ those were some tough hombres....then may and pac come around and us Scientist of the Sweet Science could see right through their scheme....especially mayweather....so when danny vs keith came around I knew the Sugar vs HitMan comparison was a no go......I saw the danny vs keith fight and it was sub par..

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCowBoy View Post
        Leonard ,Hearns,Duran or Hagler and company.....e.g. (the blade)......$#!+ those were some tough hombres....then may and pac come around and us Scientist of the Sweet Science could see right through their scheme....especially mayweather....so when danny vs keith came around I knew the Sugar vs HitMan comparison was a no go......I saw the danny vs keith fight and it was sub par..
        Leonard must have been licking this lips at ringside thinking that he would have beat both in the same night

Comment

Errol "The Truth" Spence. He will end careers. Thurman's smart to stay far, far away from him. Brook's career is over. Permanent, irreversible brain damage. That is exactly what Spence will deliver. Everybody knows it too. Brook will be slurring his words as bad as Mosley after The Truth is done with him. And he'll have a couple of broken ribs on top it all.

R.I.P. Kell Brook

Comment

First piece I have read on this site in months and it's because it was by Tris Dixon. Good stuff!

With regards to the promotional comparison between Leonard/Hearns and these 2...erm fighters, it is just so damn laughable. Not only were the two greats levels above in every aspect, more importantly, they had fought and beaten, battered and KOd world level opposition at much younger ages. By the time both men were in their late 20s they were alreday considered greats with an exceptional body of work (much like Ali, Robinson, Pep, Charles et al).

It's a joke that guys in their late 20s are only just hitting the world scene and yet still fail to capitlise on their biggest fights.

Comment

Very good read, agreed with everything and i want to emphasize that the WW guys are really kicking the bucket because they got all the recognition just from being at the same weight division as Pac & Floyd and have their names as a possible future opponent and instead of deciding who is the best WW aside from Pac & Floyd in the ring ,they just waited for the phone call to get the mega pay check while holding on to their records , brook vs thurman should've been made ages ago....

Comment

Yeah, no. The absolute truth is that Thurman and Garcia gave us closer to what Hearns and Sugar did.

Yes Floyd and Pacman were mega stars, but they fought undefeated prime fighters few and far in between. And they never fought anyone on prime tv once they got to a certain status.

Pacman is fighting Amir friggin Khan, who the **** really, actually cares about that hogwash, seriously? I'll take 2 young, prime welterweights fighting each other on regular tv over a Floyd/Pacman cherrypick mismatch on ppv 100 out of 100 times.

Comment

Garcia was never the same fighter after Mattyysse and there's no way he "humbled" the Argentine. Danny won a close decision in a war (which made Saturday's fight look a snooze fest)
                  As for "Bide My Time" Thurman, he's got to double his output and maybe fight 2X a year? lol

Comment

The article is absolute trash, and testifies to an incredible lack of boxing knowledge and insight.

Comment

Working...
                    X