Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hunter: Ward Mistreated By Media, HBO - Why Wouldn't He Retire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just stop babysitting the belts and make a decision already. Either fight or give them up, it really is that simple. Nobody is gonna kiss your butt begging you to continue fighting

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
      I dont hate Haymon, and have never even been in the same room with the man. But I do personally believe that what he is doing is bad for the sport in the long run, and will do permanent damage to a sport I love. Unlike some of the more naive posters around here, I dont want boxing to turn into a watered down version of a UFC type league.

If you cant see the difference between "hating a person" and "hating their actions", then perhaps its YOU who has the comprehension problems around here......
      Well you've been told this isn't the case but you are unwilling to accept information that contradicts your opinion.

He isn't hurting the sport you love, all he is doing is changing the structure from promoter centric (of which you were one) to a manager centric model that puts more money in the pockets of the fighters.

Meanwhile, the people that actually hurt the sport by putting men in fights that have no business being in the ring you fully support.

If you love promoters and networks giving opportunities to the Kirklands, Rosados, and others that have no chance to win just to make stars look good, so be it.

His actions have gotten more of the sport you love on TV where you don't have to pay for it. His actions are providing you content at a time when HBO is reducing the number of fights being shown.

Has everything he's done been perfect, no. Is he in it to make money for himself, of course he is, just like you, Arum, Dibella and everyone else that puts on pro fights.

I can see the difference. That is why I asked you. Notice it isn't just me that asks either.
      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 02-22-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Well you've been told this isn't the case but you are unwilling to accept information that contradicts your opinion.

He isn't hurting the sport you love, all he is doing is changing the structure from promoter centric (of which you were one) to a manger centric model that puts more money in the pockets of the fighters.

Meanwhile, the people that actually hurt the sport by putting men in fights that have no business being in the ring you fully support.

If you love promoters and networks giving opportunities to the Kirklands, Rosados, and others that have no chance to win just to make stars look good, so be it.

His actions have gotten more of the sport you love on TV where you don't have to pay for it. His actions are providing you content at a time when HBO is reducing the number of fights being shown.

Has everything he's done been perfect, no. Is he in it to make money for himself, of course he is, just like you, Arum, Dibella and everyone else that puts on pro fights.

I can see the difference. That is why I asked you. Notice it isn't just me that asks either.

told by whom? People like you who I happen to disagree with?? Haymon doesnt talk to the media so the only thing that gets "told" is other peoples interpretations of his goals. They have their interpretations, you have yours, and I have mine. At this point NOBODY knows for sure how it plays out in the end.

And quit acting like what Haymon is doing is somehow sustainable. He spent hundreds of millions of dollars in order to play Santa Claus and devalue content by giving it away. So unless you are naive enough to believe that some network is magically going to give him a content deal worth $200 million a year, then you might want to consider what will be left in the wake of this "idea" when it runs its course.

But this thread is about Ward's feelings being hurt, so I dont want to hijack it any longer. Believe me, we have another year or 2 to debate the Haymon thing.....lol
        Last edited by OnePunch; 02-22-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
          told by whom? People like you who I happen to disagree with?? Haymon doesnt talk to the media so the only thing that gets "told" is other peoples interpretations of his goals. They have their interpretations, you have yours, and I have mine. At this point NOBODY knows for sure how it plays out in the end.

And quit acting like what Haymon is doing is somehow sustainable. He spent hundreds of millions of dollars in order to play Santa Claus and devalue content by giving it away. So unless you are naive enough to believe that some network is magically going to give him a content deal worth $200 million a year, then you might want to consider what will be left in the wake of this "idea" when it runs its course.

But this thread is about Ward's feelings being hurt, so I dont want to hijack it any longer. Believe me, we have another year or 2 to debate the Haymon thing.....lol
          I believe the Judge in the case made it clear but we can agree to disagree.

Why does sustainability matter? In your 1st paragraph you imply no one knows the plans because Haymon doesn't talk. In the 2nd paragraph you say the model isn't sustainable, yet you don't know what that model is.

So what if he lost hundreds of millions? If it fails it fails. Until that time I will be watching and enjoying the fights that come on that we otherwise wouldn't get.

You said you love the sport. Who spends their time worrying when something they love is going to die or end? They enjoy it as long as they possibly can until its gone.

Yeah this thread is about Ward, but you derailed it solely to get back at me for yesterday's post. You could've just responded yesterday.

Comment

When I feel slighted or disrespected, I want to come back and stick it to those making me feel that way. I don't disappear. Ward has legitimate gripes about the media's bias, if you can even call them media, more like basement dwellers with a GoDaddy account. But he needs to ignore that and focus on fighting. After fighting 3 times in 4 years, he finally got active again, fighting 3 times last year alone. Unfortunately it looks like that's not going to continue. Damn shame too because I'd love to see him fight Kovalev II, Stevenson, Beterbiev, Gvozdyk, Bivol, Mekhontsev, etc etc etc.

Comment

mistreated by HBO? holy sh#t dude you need to shut hte **** up! ward has gotten handsomely paid for tune ups on hbo, something they should not do and which damages their brand. they did it for ward. and ward's promotor almost surely lost money on that last ppv. ward didn't lose money!

ward needs to shut up and take the rematch. this is getting embarrassing. it's probalbly posture, but it's still an awful look. if ward retires we all know who he thought won the fight. the purses on the rematch should reflect the revenue the fight brings in. if ward's not satisfied with that he should shut the f#ck up and retire. it' snot what i want, but it is fair. you can't expect rocnation to lose money when you fight.

Comment

Definite biased by HBO.....

I don't think it's a coincidence that Mayweather and Ward who don't communicate with each other were complaining about the same issues. Then you have "Lamely" always making jokes to BHOP how Kov knocked him down and they're supposed to be friends. Lamely doesn't it every chance he gets. HBO doesn't like the current power structure because it hurts their business or as in American Gangster would say: "The natural water of things."

Comment

I hate to say this about an Eastbay homie, but Team Ward needs to go ahead and retire.

I respect Ward's skills (Kova won tho), but he has an ugly style, and no power.

The world is an unfair place. People dont like Ward's style, they prefer blood and guts warriors. If Ward doesnt like that, he's in the wrong business. This is the boxing business.

And I dont see him being mistreated by the media. He got a giftory. Media's job is to report it. He sat out for 2 years. What, is the media supposed to portray him as a freedom fighter? He decided he wanted to take that step, stalling his career when he was on top. He has to live with the consequences.

Then, when he takes 2 showcases, is he supposed to be lauded? In all his interviews, he made it seem like we fans had an obligation to fill Oracle -- for showcases. Nah, if they put the rematch in Oracle, I AM THERE!!

Otherwise, LIKE ALL OTHER BOXERS, if you arent taking on a good challenges, please STFU, bc Im not interested.

Comment

mistreated by HBO is a joke. HBO televised a showcase fight. Not many boxers get their showcase put on HBO. Plenty by PBC at the level of Spike or FS1, maybe even SHO. Lots on UniMas. But getting a showcase on HBO is rarefied.

Comment

• i told everyone ward was a diva. Guys a disgrace to boxing, **** off ward and dont come back. If it means we dont see a kovalev fight then who cares, most boxing fans know he beat you anyway and youre going to be rememberd as the guy who would rather retire if it meant avoiding the rematch.

Comment

Working...
                      X