A little throwback quote from Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TS, this is your crowd

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
    According to a source with knowledge of the situation, a long-time friend and confidant of undefeated middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin recently revealed that his own promotional/management team purposely advised him not to pursue a potential showdown with undefeated former world champion Andre Ward. We're told that shortly before Golovkin's 2nd round knockout of mandatory challenger Dominic Wade, his childhood friend from Kazakhstan struck up a conversation with world-class trainer Virgil Hunter, who was also in attendance at the fights and happened to be seated right next to our source.

According to our source, after showing Hunter several pictures of himself and Golovkin throughout the years, the friend began to share with Hunter a discussion that he and Golovkin previously had regarding a potential showdown with undefeated former world champion Andre Ward. "I was angry with him; he would not fight Andre Ward. I begged him. I tell him he had to for respect. He said, 'No, the promoters don't want me.' I say, 'Don't hide behind promoters. You can get the fight. You have to fight Ward for respect.' He said, 'No, not right now.' I asked him, 'Are you afraid?' He repeated, 'No, the promoters don't want me.' He got so mad," the friend reportedly said to Hunter during their conversation.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article24408.html

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
      Wrong, Ward sent that offer after he had just fought at 172, and hadn't fought at 168 in nearly 3 years.
      The catch-weight was due to the long lay-off and there was no decision made at the time of the offer to Golovkin for Ward to move up to 175 for good.

The move up was because, unlike Lil g, Andre was up to challenging himself with a showdown vs Kovalev, even as a smallish Lt Heavy.

It's what the great ones do.

Comment

Wrong, Ward sent that offer after he had just fought at 172, and hadn't fought at 168 in nearly 3 years.
        Right, and earlier the same scoundrel was saying Ward hadn't made 168 in years, Gggs 164 counter was unfair. No integrity

Comment

No idea what deal you are talking about.

If you have a link, post it.

All I heard from Ward was 168, and 50/50.

Which is appropriate since Lil g said he could do 168 and since Ward was much more established professionally even without being A-side popular.
          wards promoter pays him extra on top of the fight purse. paid him 3 million extra for kovalev so in reality it would not be a 50-50 split. if ward wanted the fight he should have budged on the offiical purse and been subsidized by his promoter. still would have made more.

yeah and you think 50-50 is fair how? more popular guy only deserves 50-50? since when does that apply? only in this fight because you love ward and hate ggg. just pretend you don't hate them for a second. pretend its fighter a who is popular vs fighter b who is not. fighter b wants to fight for 50-50 what do you say?

also wards timing was suspect. ggg signs to fight lemiuex and is next scheduled to fight canelo but you expect him to take a ward fight...really?

Comment

He fought Rodriguez at 168 in November 2013 so did he send that offer to Golovkin in the latter part of 2016 while getting ready for Kovalev??

For the record I don't have an issue with Golovkin declining the offer but I'm just interested in your attempts to needlessly exaggerate.

Comment

The catch-weight was due to the long lay-off and there was no decision made at the time of the offer to Golovkin for Ward to move up to 175 for good.

The move up was because, unlike Lil g, Andre was up to challenging himself with a showdown vs Kovalev, even as a smallish Lt Heavy.

It's what the great ones do.
              ward moved up because he said it was very hard to make weight...is broner great too since he can't make 140?

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                ward moved up because he said it was very hard to make weight...is broner great too since he can't make 140?
                Hate to be the one to break this to you...

But, say what you want about Boner, he has moved up and taken on some challenges.

And, unlike Lil g, there are elite names on his resume.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                  He fought Rodriguez at 168 in November 2013 so did he send that offer to Golovkin in the latter part of 2016 while getting ready for Kovalev??

For the record I don't have an issue with Golovkin declining the offer but I'm just interested in your attempts to needlessly exaggerate.
                  He sent it after fighting Smith at 172 on BET in 2015. It was meant to be for first half of 2016, after another tune-up for Ward. Coincidentally Gggs Canelo Mando was originally due in may 2016

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                    Right, and earlier the same scoundrel was saying Ward hadn't made 168 in years, Gggs 164 counter was unfair. No integrity
                    They switch stance on that as and when it fits their agenda.

They also forget to mention that GGG never said he would only fight Ward at 164 and he never "demanded" 164 in any negotiations. All Golovkin said was that 50/50 money and weight would be fair, when asked about it by a reporter.

Comment

Hate to be the one to break this to you...

But, say what you want about Boner, he has moved up and taken on some challenges.

And, unlike Lil g, there are elite names on his resume.
                      Which ones are these? You mean the guys he lost to? Martin Murray has a great resume like that.

They're not elite, those don't get shut out by Devon Alexander or go life and death with welter Julio Diaz

Comment

Working...
                      X