No announcement yet.

Broner doesn't have his own boxing identity/style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broner doesn't have his own boxing identity/style

Aside from all the other issues he has as a fighter - discipline, stamina, defence, ring IQ - the one thing I have thought since I first saw him is that this guy doesn't have his own style.

He's just constantly stuck in this phase trying to imitate Mayweather's style - it's like those amateur guys on YouTube who bob and weave like prime Mike Tyson, except they're hitting heavybags. It's a pale imitation, a rip-off, a style that doesn't really suit.

Broner is just shoulder-rolling and doing slapping check-hooks but he doesn't have the footwork on instincts to carry it out like Floyd. I mean, even watching the guy hit the heavybag in training, he's punching exactly like Floyd.

But really, an elite fighter has to have their own style and identity, rather than fall into the tropes of their favourite fighter. This is why he comes stuck again and again. Now he's started using elbows and clinching like Floyd.

Broner has punching power and speed, he should be much more offensive.

Look how much of a disaster most of the Porter fighter was, except the last couple of rounds when he let his hands go and came forward. Same against Chino.

All flash little substance. He can't even throw a proper jab-right hand. He has the speed and athleticism to do a lot more. All he does is lay back waiting to counter with single shots. Too busy trying to look cool instead of throwing punches.

The way he trains like hitting the bags, pads etc is just not working for him. Too flat footed throwing flashy combinations that he doesn't even throw in fights. You are not Mayweather lol.

Although I dont think a different trainer will help much because he is what he is at this point I think he needs to switch just to change it up.

Comment

Couldn't even whoop his sparring partner.

Comment

Totally agree with you, watching the fight today I saw a fighter who was trying to be "Money" Mayweather, it seems he wanted to do what Mayweather did with the PBF/Money thing, the Broner of old was throwing punches in bunches, but he fought like the older version of Mayweather. Trying to prolong his career with one of two shots without getting tagged, problem is he just doesn't have "it" like Mayweather does nor can he pull it off like Money could.

Comment

Does Broner always slap his hooks like that? They look weird and amateurish. His uppercuts were pretty good though.

Comment

Looks like Berto 2.0.

Comment

It's really simple. He doesn't th row enough punches. He lands one flashy punch and th end... Nothing. For 30 seconds. He really should be much better than he actually is.

Comment

Like I said after the Mlaignaggi fight, Broner is too easy to hit yet in his mind he thinks he's Mayweather (who himself also got hit quite a bit against the best opponents on his resume) but he acks the finesse, stamina and reflexes. Ultimately, he is also at an awkward height. At only 5'6'', he is too small for 140-147 and he is too lay to get down to 135.

Oh well, hope Pac or Khan whup on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pechorin View Post
                  Looks like Berto 2.0.
                  Nah he has a chin and more swift shots he's better but that ain't saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                    Aside from all the other issues he has as a fighter - discipline, stamina, defence, ring IQ - the one thing I have thought since I first saw him is that this guy doesn't have his own style.

He's just constantly stuck in this phase trying to imitate Mayweather's style - it's like those amateur guys on YouTube who bob and weave like prime Mike Tyson, except they're hitting heavybags. It's a pale imitation, a rip-off, a style that doesn't really suit.

Broner is just shoulder-rolling and doing slapping check-hooks but he doesn't have the footwork on instincts to carry it out like Floyd. I mean, even watching the guy hit the heavybag in training, he's punching exactly like Floyd.

But really, an elite fighter has to have their own style and identity, rather than fall into the tropes of their favourite fighter. This is why he comes stuck again and again. Now he's started using elbows and clinching like Floyd.

Broner has punching power and speed, he should be much more offensive.

Look how much of a disaster most of the Porter fighter was, except the last couple of rounds when he let his hands go and came forward. Same against Chino.
                    Been saying this for a long time. His identity is completely confused and he doesn't fight to his strengths. He won't now either. That ship has sailed.

Comment

Working...
                    X