Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Else Hopes Boxing's Next Big Megastar Is A Bigger Guy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Else Hopes Boxing's Next Big Megastar Is A Bigger Guy?

I have nothing against smaller guys, and I understand the "pound for pound" measurement of determining a fighter's skill level, but I also love it when guys have the aura of being "the baddest man on the planet" rather than just "da P4P best." That means someone who's at least a Light Heavyweight, Cruiserweight, or (of course) a Heavyweight.

Does anyone else agree? Get us another Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, or Roy Jones, Jr. type of fighter up in here.

the man in my avatar....

Comment

Traditionally, being a big guy is a prerequisite to becoming a mega-star. I think the smaller guys only really got their time in the sun in recent years because the USA hasn't produced the goods at heavyweight in a while

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        Traditionally, being a big guy is a prerequisite to becoming a mega-star. I think the smaller guys only really got their time in the sun in recent years because the USA hasn't produced the goods at heavyweight in a while
        Exactly. That's why AJ is probably the next megastar. Klitschko was just boring as ****e..

Comment

I would LOVE to see an era of mega star heavyweights. I think at the center, AJ is most likely to be The Man to carry the division (maybe the entire sport). He's got rabid fans in his home country, he brings KO power, and he's capable of conducting an interview that's interesting. Next up you have Wilder, another KO king, I'm less sure of his ability to carry a division, but he could be a great foil to AJ. Then with Wlad maybe/maybe not sticking around another couple of years, he could have one or two more big fights left where if he loses, the guy who beats him could get a solid bump in name recognition. And finally, one of the most interesting elements, is how Tyson Fury will fit in. Right now, he's just kind of floating around, who knows if he'll ever be back, but regardless there will be fans who say no matter who has the belts, they aren't the REAL champ until they beat Fury.

This AJ/Wilder/Fury era, let's say it last 5-10 years or so, it has all the makings and potential for an Ali/Frazier/Foreman level of compelling story telling. Cause remember, Ali was the greatest because he knew how to tell a story, make fans care, get them wrapped up in the saga. As of right now, there are a LOT of really interesting elements to the heavyweight division, we just need promoters to cultivate the narrative, and then have that kind of launching pad fight...

For the first time since Tyson lost to Lewis, I can say the Heavyweight division is probably the most interesting division - that when 205+ gets good, the world tends to tune in.

Comment

I disagree. I like all great fighters the same regardless of their weight class. Smaller boxers have more speed, better coordination and stamina as a general rule. I would love a great new heavyweight but not more than a great new middleweight or featherweight. GGG hits as hard for his size as any heavyweight and 24 straight KOs proves that.

Comment

Got to admit that I love heavyweights too.

The fights are that much more perilous and potentially dramatic. Nobody is made to get chinned by a 250 pound man. I'd be very surprised if both AJ and Wilder didn't get knocked out in their careers. There is something about knowing that adds to the intrigue. That said someone needs to promote Wilder properly ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I disagree. I like all great fighters the same regardless of their weight class. Smaller boxers have more speed, better coordination and stamina as a general rule. I would love a great new heavyweight but not more than a great new middleweight or featherweight. GGG hits as hard for his size as any heavyweight and 24 straight KOs proves that.
                I understand what you're saying, and the boxing enthusiast within me agrees with you. However, there is something magical about a heavyweight division that is loaded with big stars. It brings out not only casuals, it makes the sport a water cooler conversation topic. I miss being able to talk boxing in a bar without people looking at you blankly, I like when friends and family members who don't give a hoot about boxing get excited and watch to watch a fight. And that stuff happens occasionally at lower weight classes (May/Pac) but back in the 90's, every Tyson fight was MUST SEE TV. My entire neighborhood would throw block parties, have people over to watch the fight, generations of people glued to the TV - I would LOVE to see that again.

But to your point, as someone who enjoys watching a good fight, lower weight classes can put on barn burner fights that are amazing to watch.

Comment

It WILL BE Anthony Joshua IMO but lets see how he does vs WLAD before crowning him but I think Joshua can be a SUPERSTAR her in the States once they decide to come to America like Lennox did! He can be a bigger star here than Lennox was though in THIS ERA!

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    the man in my avatar....
                    Beteriev will never become a star

Comment

Working...
                    X