Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are today's boxers bigger & better than those who fought in the 70's n 80's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the African American athlete, I could see them putting other sports first... unless they absolutely love boxing.

Or when they realize thew won't grow taller than 6 foot 2. LOL... those other sports attract the bigger guys.
    Last edited by Strategic1; 01-28-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Bigger? Yes, because of day-before weigh-ins and rehydration. Those guys had to be on weight on the day of the fight, so they would actually be a pound or so under at the weigh-in to be sure in many cases (you didn't want to go to the steam room or jump rope in a rubber suit like 12 hours or so before fighting if you were a pound over).

Welterweights in the days of SRL and Hearns didn't walk around at 168 pounds and enter the ring at 160-plus after rehydrating following a day-before weigh-in.

When you fight twice a year, you can walk around 3 months before the fight at 150 and make featherweight or whatever. You couldn't do that if you had to make 126 six or eight times in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Strategic1 View Post
        However... the Mexican American and Latin American communities still produce tons of talent. Part of the reason, it's the culture..boxing is huge in Mexican American..Puerto Rican..Cuban ..dominican..communities... Many of these guys though are short... so it's not as common to see them fight at middleweight and above.

They are extremely talented. . And in my eyes.. these guys st light welterweight and below are better
        Where are they?????

I don't see ****.

Comment

Terrence Crawford..is 5 ft 8.. he wouldn't make it in the other sports just because of height. I don't know his whole story. . But maybe that's why he focused on boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Strategic1 View Post
            As for the African American athlete, I could see them putting other sports first... unless they absolutely love boxing.

Or when they realize thew won't grow taller than 6 foot 2. LOL... those other sports attract the bigger guys.
            Look around

Plenty Black guys in the lower weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
              Where are they?????

I don't see ****.
              Come on man.. don't hate.. aside from Lomachenko..and a few guys from other countries.. Latino fighters dominate the lower divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                Look around

Plenty Black guys in the lower weights.
                Sure.. I just personally believe the Mexican fighters are better there at the moment... besides Lomachenko.

Crawford was the guy for a time. . But now he moved up.

Comment

Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Foreman, Ali, Frazier, Tyson, JCC, Wilfredo Gomez, Arguello, Holmes, Norton, Matthew Saad Mohammed, Benitiz and the great JCC

Don't care if today's fighters are technically better and/or talented. I still would rather watch all of the above than today's fighters. Something about that period was just perfect for boxing, no ducking....everyone fought the best, nothing compares. As for guts, please...don't make me laugh. They're all snowflakes today. Even 2000 fighters were more courageous. This era is the era of "he made the right decision and had to protect his fighter before he was hurt badly".

Comment

Fighter of today are NOT better than the ones from the 80s and I dont believe that they are bigger either excluding the Modern HWs.

Today's fighters are better than the old school fighters from the 1930s but 70s-80s i dont really consider as old school.

Regarding size, you look at the WWs from the 80s like Ray Leonard, hearns, benitez, all these guys were 5"10 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
                      Wilder beats Frazier
                      if you realy think that . you proberbly think canelo hits harder than julien jackson

Comment

Working...
                      X