Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are today's boxers bigger & better than those who fought in the 70's n 80's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are today's boxers bigger & better than those who fought in the 70's n 80's?

Here's the deal. I see a couple of threads where people reference the "better" competition during SRL, Duran's time. But was it really better competition? Or is it an illusion just because boxing was MUCH more popular during that time?

In every major sport...baseball, basketball, football, hockey.... It's widely understood that athletes today (in those sports) are bigger, better, faster, possibly more athletic than athletes in past eras.

It's just natural. Training programs, nutrition, coaching, access to resources... have improved over time.

So does this apply to boxing? I think today's boxers might be better than those of past eras because of this.. But people who watched during those times might just feel 'nostalgic' or bias because their favorite fighters fought during those times.

So what is your opinion? Are boxers 'bigger, better' today?

Their labias certainly are.

Comment

They are more refined in all areas, science has that effect on everything over time, the courage and human side of it all is unchanged just schooling and conditioning is very much advanced .

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
        They are more refined in all areas, science has that effect on everything over time, the courage and human side of it all is unchanged just schooling and conditioning is very much advanced .
        I agree with you. That's why I started this. That's why world records are always broken over time (in sports like track and 100m freestyle swimming)... Athletes get better, training programs improve... people learn, adjust, and improve their training. Thus, they become better athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Strategic1 View Post
          I agree with you. That's why I started this. That's why world records are always broken over time (in sports like track and 100m freestyle swimming)... Athletes get better, training programs improve... people learn, adjust, and improve their training. Thus, they become better athletes.
          Those records have nothing to do with boxing.

Boxing doesn't progress in the same way.

Regarding your question, some of the guys today are better than those fighters from the 70's and 80's, but some of those fighters from the 70's and 80's are better than the guys of today.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
            They aren't refined in all areas at all.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
              They aren't refined in all areas at all.
              You might need to elaborate .

Comment

Wilder beats Frazier

Comment

Originally posted by Strategic1 View Post
                  Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                  Those records have nothing to do with boxing.

Boxing doesn't progress in the same way.

Regarding your question, some of the guys today are better than those fighters from the 70's and 80's, but some of those fighters from the 70's and 80's are better than the guys of today.
                  Lol the same thing you just talked about in the other thread. This dude brought it up to make the argument for boxing. You might as well go ahead and just copy paste your other post from the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
                    Wilder beats Frazier
                    Picking one fighter is irrelevant to the question its not about individuals its about boxing over all, the improvement in boxing ability across the board is a lot, its greatest improvement is in the lower to middle ranks, the average guys today are better and there is a lot more off them.

Comment

Working...
                    X