No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Promotions, ESPN Announce Multi-Year TV Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
    I like watching good prospects grow and compete. There was something special about watching Floyd, Oscar, Zab, Shane, etc. come up.

We have some damn good kids coming up the pipeline now and I want to see them too lol But those cards were generally not putting on that quality. Although I did catch Diego once.
    People have no problem watching prospects fight on tv when they aren't associated with Haymon. Haymon's up and coming fighters fights on tv and people bash the shows and the ratings. Why don't people complain about most of the mismatches that GB puts on for their small shows on ****** and Estrella. Or the TR fights that were put on TruTv. FNF were pretty much borderline prospects and contenders on its shows and PBC was doing that with an occasional big fight on ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by LOCOMEX89 View Post
      Great move by Golden Boy Promotions. Look Estrella TV helped Golden Boy Promotions with getting some form of exposure for there prospects. Problem with that they mainly showcased their bilingual prospects compared to those who didn't speak any form of Spanish.

Now with this move guys like Lamont Roach Jr., Ellis, Demetrius Ballard, Jason Quigley....etc.....can now be shown to a national audience. As well as there bilingual prospects.

Smart move by Oscar de la hoya, Bernard Hopkins, and Golden Boy Promotions.

I still hope they still use Ring TV Live for there non televised bouts. Any now if they will continue with this platform?
      Yeah it will be interesting if they still keep R!ng TV Live. My guess is they will. Even with these dates from ESPN they still have tons of undercards, and fight cards they can air. Plus fights that are on Estrella/HBO Latino that are aired in spanish they use R!ng TV Live for a English production/broadcast or for HBO and other networks so they can sell the broadcast feed internationally. Also for their own internal catalog. They can't use HBO announcers for those fights. Plus they can sell their own PPVs like they did Canelo's last fight. They sold the live stream and international sales while HBO handled the US Cable and Sate-lite PPV broadcast. Everyone of those sales they didn't have to split money with HBO or cable provider. Which is why Harold Lederman was used for R!ng TV PPV for the Canelo/Smith fight. Makes so much sense to keep R!ng TV Live around they built that brand why throw it away?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
        Huge move for Golden Boy. It was clear ESPN was going to be cutting ties with PBC and now Golden Boy is grabbing the TV deal. PBC only has a few more fights they are owed as part of their time buy the person who made the deal to bring PBC to ESPN has been fired. It's been a long time since Haymon sent them any relevant fights because he knows the writing is on the wall and they will not pay for PBC.

Golden Boy already have R!ngTV live so they have their production team, they know how to put on these shows. Prior to R!ngTV they had Golden Boy on FS1 which draws the SAME ratings as PBC on FS1 but at a fraction of the cost. This is basically bring back Friday Night Fights on ESPN2 which went away when Haymon bought the airtime for PBC.
        This is about GBP and ESPN yet you reference PBC and Haymon 8 times in the 1st post. SMDH!

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
          People have no problem watching prospects fight on tv when they aren't associated with Haymon. Haymon's up and coming fighters fights on tv and people bash the shows and the ratings. Why don't people complain about most of the mismatches that GB puts on for their small shows on ****** and Estrella. Or the TR fights that were put on TruTv. FNF were pretty much borderline prospects and contenders on its shows and PBC was doing that with an occasional big fight on ESPN.
          Read the thread. I did complain about the quality of those GoldenBoy shows. They were generally bad. I just would love to see one card where Conlan, Stevenson, and Haney were all on it. Or even Davis, Lubin, Diego, and Verdejo

It would have a different feel to it. That's all I'm saying

Comment

Big for GBP they needed a solid television outlet for all their prospects and mid level talent in general to get exposure. Hopefully they are matched a bit tougher than they normally are so some of the fights are decent but will be fun to watch some more prospects.

Comment

Good move by GBP. I'm looking forward to the show that covers the boxers' training.

Haymon dropped the ball with ESPN. Got rid of Friday Night Fights and didn't replace it with any regular telecasts of equal or greater value.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                This is about GBP and ESPN yet you reference PBC and Haymon 8 times in the 1st post. SMDH!
                Because PBC is not providing the amount of shows per year like they intended is why Golden Boy got the deal and it's clear once the remaining time buys are over ESPN is cutting ties with PBC.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                  Because PBC is not providing the amount of shows per year like they intended is why Golden Boy got the deal and it's clear once the remaining time buys are over ESPN is cutting ties with PBC.
                  Where is your evidence of this?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Good move by GBP. I'm looking forward to the show that covers the boxers' training.

Haymon dropped the ball with ESPN. Got rid of Friday Night Fights and didn't replace it with any regular telecasts of equal or greater value.
                    ESPN dropped FNF because the ratings were dropping each year.

Comment

More boxing on tv, doesnt matter if it is PBC or GBP is good news to me. I just ask for less mismatches is all.

Comment

Working...
                      X