No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Promotions, ESPN Announce Multi-Year TV Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
    PBC will be on regular ESPN and air on Saturday's I believe.
    They have had some shows on Friday but I guess GB will be on Thursday anyways I'm not complaining hopefully they are at least shobox worthy match ups

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
      They have had some shows on Friday but I guess GB will be on Thursday anyways I'm not complaining hopefully they are at least shobox worthy match ups
      I doubt it, who's on GB roster who's halfway decent? Sadam Ali and Eddie Gomez maybe will find a home hear.

Comment

That is BIG for GBP! Great Move! Now add more fighters and promote them just as much as they do Canelo!

Comment

Top Rank and Main Events, your move.

Comment

Huge move for Golden Boy. It was clear ESPN was going to be cutting ties with PBC and now Golden Boy is grabbing the TV deal. PBC only has a few more fights they are owed as part of their time buy the person who made the deal to bring PBC to ESPN has been fired. It's been a long time since Haymon sent them any relevant fights because he knows the writing is on the wall and they will not pay for PBC.

Golden Boy already have R!ngTV live so they have their production team, they know how to put on these shows. Prior to R!ngTV they had Golden Boy on FS1 which draws the SAME ratings as PBC on FS1 but at a fraction of the cost. This is basically bring back Friday Night Fights on ESPN2 which went away when Haymon bought the airtime for PBC.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
              Huge move for Golden Boy. It was clear ESPN was going to be cutting ties with PBC and now Golden Boy is grabbing the TV deal. PBC only has a few more fights they are owed as part of their time buy the person who made the deal to bring PBC to ESPN has been fired. It's been a long time since Haymon sent them any relevant fights because he knows the writing is on the wall and they will not pay for PBC.

Golden Boy already have R!ngTV live so they have their production team, they know how to put on these shows. Prior to R!ngTV they had Golden Boy on FS1 which draws the SAME ratings as PBC on FS1 but at a fraction of the cost. This is basically bring back Friday Night Fights on ESPN2 which went away when Haymon bought the airtime for PBC.
              PBC still has dates this years and next year. This was made possible because of that Top Rank lawsuit filed.

This deal with GB is basically the same deal PBC has just on ESPN2. PBC is on ESPN. It's a time buy also.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
                Does anyone know if Haymon still has his espn deal? Imagine them competing on espn and espn2
                He still owns some TV dates. The deal would of expired last year but he shortened the amount of TV shows on 2016 making what was announced as a monthly series on ESPN just a summer series. He punted his remaining dates to 2017. Same with some of the other networks PBC went dark 2 months early in 2016 and then basically suspended operations late last year sending all his time buys to 2017. He losing money every show he puts on PBC that's why fights going back to showtime or he keeps pushing time buys he already paid for back further and further. Rafael reported last year NBC is pulling the plug on PBC as well would of ended last year but PBC decided to not air another fight on NBC since Summertime. So same thing with ESPN they have few more fights if he uses the airtime in 2017 but they won't be renewed.

Comment

I doubt it, who's on GB roster who's halfway decent? Sadam Ali and Eddie Gomez maybe will find a home hear.
                  Golden Boy has several excellent prospects. The problem for Golden Boy is that their best prospects are very young and have less than 10-12 fights. Their prospects/semi contenders who have 20 fights aren't as talented. The next star from Golden Boy is still very young and not ready to be a contender in the next year or 2....but it is shortsighted to say they don't have anyone halfway decent, because their roster is stacked with young, serious talent.

Comment

PBC still has dates this years and next year. This was made possible because of that Top Rank lawsuit filed.

This deal with GB is basically the same deal PBC has just on ESPN2. PBC is on ESPN. It's a time buy also.
                    ok maybe the lawsuit allows PBC to not block it but if ESPN were happy with PBC they wouldn't be reaching out making deals with another promoter for content. PBC because of money issues is not providing ESPN the amount of shows and boxing content they needed to replace Friday Night Fights. Last year it went from fights being pushed back to Feb, then to March. Then it went from a monthly series to just 2-3 month summer series. PBC can't afford to produce the amount of shows ESPN wants.

Comment

I see the PBC being mentioned a lot. But i think this hurts Top Rank more. Top Rank also has a lot of good prospects that want tv dates and aren't getting as many as they would like. Bob should swallow his pride and make nice with oscar again and try to work out a deal to get some of his guys on these tv dates.

Comment

Working...
                      X