No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
    Are you serious? Did you really just post that dumbass ****?

Wilders technique is HORRIBLE!
    This is why I don't get the argument "that boxing has advanced like every other sport. Hell, even Foreman knew the importance of blocking/ parrying and cutting off the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
      This is why I don't get the argument "that boxing has advanced like every other sport. Hell, even Foreman knew the importance of blocking/ parrying and cutting off the ring.
      Their thinking is "Regardless of what the footage shows, newer MUST be better"

These are the types of guys who buy the newest Apple products as soon as they come out.

Comment

Is defense even important in today's heavyweight era? Even Foreman was a master at parrying and blocking shots.
        I really can't understand his line of thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
          Wilder is more suited to this era while Dempsey was a master of his. He had a book published on Boxing so how can I dispute his 'skills'. Dempsey would be perceived to be more skillful than Wilder.

However the footage says it all. Wilders technique is naturally more refined than a Boxer from the 20s, 30s
          How is Wilder more refined than a boxer from the 20's and 30's?

The 20's and 30's produced some ATG fighters.

Wilder is awful.

He's uncoordinated.

Comment

"Even Foreman".

Why do you keep bringing Foreman up like he's from those old caveman times where it was dominated by white fighters?

Foreman, Tyson would oblitirate Jack Dempsey. Tyson would outright **** Dempsey in the ring.
            moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
              I haven't seen any videos on here.

You seriously think one gif proves a point? Go back a page or two and check out my post where I linked TEN instances of excellent defense by Dempsey. Not some ****ty gif. EVERYONE gets hit some time or another NOT everyone has good defense.

The stance is the same, punching technique got worse, and defensive awareness got worse.

Again, you AREN'T providing any evidence. I on the other hand have provided MULTIPLE clips of evidence.

Boxing doesn't isn't the same because Boxing isn't magically bound by the advancements of the military. Btw you have no evidence to prove that the military today would beat the ****s because the military today is about a quarter of the size that it was back then.

Would Billy Joe Saunders beat Harry Greb? Would Keith Thurman beat Mickey Walker? Would Sergey Kovalev beat Sam Langford?
              Omg today's armed forces would wipe the floor with the **** era that's not even up for debate. The armed forces are smaller because of efficency. Drones, advanced ballistic missiles, advanced satellites & more knowledge of the terrain = easy win for today's Army.

This seems to be the only Sport that contains blinkered fans caught up with the good 'ol days. Seriously any fight of Dempsey would be considered crude now a days. He'd get laughed at if he competed in this era. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Greb, Walker or Langford wouldn't hold a title in this era.

Comment

Omg today's armed forces would wipe the floor with the **** era that's not even up for debate. The armed forces are smaller because of efficency. Drones, advanced ballistic missiles, advanced satellites & more knowledge of the terrain = easy win for today's Army.

This seems to be the only Sport that contains blinkered fans caught up with the good 'ol days. Seriously any fight of Dempsey would be considered crude now a days. He'd get laughed at if he competed in this era. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Your comparisons are ridiculous.

The current troops have the technology today which would give them insane advantages. Like you have noted - Laser guided missiles etc.

How does that relate to boxing?

A boxer from today vs a boxer from the 20's, would still be just 2 men, one on one, in a battle of skills in a ring. There hasn't been any new inventions. No new punches or techniques.

How would Dempsey get laughed at in today's era?

How do you know Greb couldn't win a title today? Do you know anything about the man?

The 20's contained:

Dempsey
                Greb
                Tunney
                Leonard
                Wilde

Are you telling me that Jimmy Wilde and Benny Leonard couldn't have competed today?

Based on what?

Comment

That's because the sport has gone DOWN. Football, baseball, and basketball aren't full of in depth complicated techniques like in boxing. Sure they have there own advanced skills but it is mostly drivien by physical attributes.

Boxing is the opposite, its 10% physical and 90% mental or something along those lines.

No, you are flat out wrong. You haven't provided any evidence, you just duck everything and say "Well the army is better soooo boxers are better". You haven't provided a shred of evidence whereas I posted MANY clips disproving your claims.

You got disproved, this isn't an opinion. It's straight up FACT that Dempsey wasn't crude.

Wouldn't hold a title?! Are you kidding me? So you say that Billy Joe Saunders beats Greb, Thurman beats Walker, and Kovalev beats Langford!!!!

****ing nutter!!!!!
                  Last edited by Mr.MojoRisin'; 07-01-2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Even with the military being smaller today, they don't need numbers vs the 1940s ****'s. The technological advancement in the engineering of submarines, war ships and stealth bombers and jets the ****'s would be wiped out by air and sea.

If you want to bring in land too, you now have the Navy SEALs to deal with, which were founded in the 1960s and fight in air, sea and land.

Like was mentioned already, they have unmanned drones. Btw starting in 2020, US will have lasers on their battleships, you can youtube this for a demonstration of the laser shooting down a drone in the testing.

Basically if you are in denial that the 2010s US Military can easily wipe out the ****'s then this discussion is pretty much over because you are dealing either with trolls or people who just want to argue for the sake of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      Even with the military being smaller today, they don't need numbers vs the 1940s ****'s. The technological advancement in the engineering of submarines, war ships and stealth bombers and jets the ****'s would be wiped out by air and sea.

If you want to bring in land too, you now have the Navy SEALs to deal with, which were founded in the 1960s and fight in air, sea and land.

Like was mentioned already, they have unmanned drones. Btw starting in 2020, US will have lasers on their battleships, you can youtube this for a demonstration of the laser shooting down a drone in the testing.

Basically if you are in denial that the 2010s US Military can easily wipe out the ****'s then this discussion is pretty much over because you are dealing either with trolls or people who just want to argue for the sake of it.
                      Kev,

What you have written can't be disputed. But how does that relate to 2 fighters facing off in a ring?
                      Last edited by robertzimmerman; 07-03-2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X