No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
    The top photo is from the early 30s when Dempsey was going to attempt a comeback.

Here's the shape Dempsey was in:
    Your a joke man! Look at that puny 96 pound weakling. He would be crushed by today's muscle bound fighters who are true heavyweights
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...84668192827036

one can tell from this pic that chris would just corner Dempsey and sit upon him...

Seriously great pic and like most fighters at the time there was nothing excess on Dempsey's frame...metal coils and springs wrapped around a titanium frame. This gets to the very core of the argument regarding what a heavyweight is... If you look at guys like Dempsey, he may not have a giant frame but he is really dense. I once had an xray taken of my shin and was told that my bone is really thick and the xray was not penetrating properly...Some things cannot be measured.

Comment

• Dempsey would probably lose to GGG, thats how bad technically he was

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
        I can't respond to everyone but I'm absolutely loving the fact that I've rattled the old guards cages. I'm what Breitbart aspires to be when it comes to representing the alternative view and I shall forever hold onto that.

You're not the alternative view, you're the mainstream opinion. Almost everyone and their mom thinks that today's fighters are better just because they are bigger and have the sacred "modern sports science."

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
        He's not facing big Hw's that were uncoordinated in those days. People were scared because 6 ft 6 Willard had killed a man. That story would never run In the printed press because the guy he killed would have been absolute garbage this era (my apologies to the family's fighter & anyone offended).
        Super Hws from Lewis onwards are the crem de la crem of Hws and the only thing that's stopping my opinion being a fact is that this is a hypothetical discussion. Lewis, Wlad, Joshua all Gold medalists in the Super HW category. All big men that can box like those prior to them couldn't do. How many people won a Gold in the HW division in those days that would be considered a Super HW today?.
        A 5'10" David Tua, with his limited skill set, could last the distance with crème de la crème Lennox Lewis.

But somehow the much more skilled and nuanced punching machine Jack Dempsey, at 6'1", wouldn't last 2 rounds with green Anthony Joshua?

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          Anyone can workout. I never said Jack Dempsey wasn't in good shape.

I never mentioned anything about conditioning. The other guy claimed Froch's "peak" conditioning was 175lbs. Which doesn't even matter because Froch could go from 202lbs to 194lbs and be sub 10% body fat and be primed ready to go.

No you certainly didn't...you just created a giant 200 odd pound strawman that has fvkall to do with Dempsey and his ability to perform in the ring.

Lets try to keep this cordial shall we? There is no "cutting weight to speak of regarding what people walk around at because the heavyweight division is an open division. Froch's detailed analysis regarding the supposed advantage/disadvantage of the extra weight he carries can be pontificated upon til the cows come home... at the end of the day Froch simply is not a heavy weight.

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
            I can't respond to everyone but I'm absolutely loving the fact that I've rattled the old guards cages. I'm what Breitbart aspires to be when it comes to representing the alternative view and I shall forever hold onto that.

He would get stopped in the first three rounds in today's HW division because he was SIMPLY too small. Only on Boxing Scene do people not want to take into account physical limitations in the Heavyweight division. We're not talking about straw weight,we're talking about prime Wlad left hook and Joshuas straight right that would stop 100% of the pre-war heavies.

Then how the hell did he get past Fred Fulton, Carl Morris 2x, Jess Willard, and Luis Firpo? These guys were all hard hitting super heavies and the top contenders of the day. Dempsey went through em in a combined 7 rds. Didn't even stand a chance. The physical strength of Willard and Firpo wasn't a problem at all for Dempsey. He held his own just fine against Firpo who was known for his immense strength and Willard who weighed 65 lbs more than him.

Who exactly has Joshua beaten that will be remembered in history? Dominic Breazeale? Eric Molina? lmao those defenses are a JOKE! If any champ from the prewar era was found even TALKING to those guys they would have gotten stripped! To make things even worse he's going up against 41 year old Wlad Klitschko. Marciano fought a 38 year old Walcott and gets crucified on here!

But on the real explain to me why Dempsey would lose because of his size. It can't be because he is too weak, it has already been established that strength wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by considerthis View Post
              Nah...i have a personal collection of thousands of fights and i actually started by collecting older fights. Of the 9 or so dempsey fights i have, it's still not enough to make much of a judgment because i don't have several fights of each of his opponents. I generally don't like getting into mythical matchup arguments...but it's just hard to see him overcoming the physical disadvantages he'd have against some of today's heavys.
              Why? Give reasons for drawing a conclusion, are we just supposed to accept your observation of faith? what about the guy who has a personal collection of fights and thinks the old guys were magnificent? should I take his word for it?

If you want to watch a great fight that highlights Dempsey and was a watershed event, watch his first fight (and second for that matter) with Tunney. It is hard to see what is going in at times because of the speed per a frame in the old film, but if one is dilligent and slows things down a lot can be gleaned from this fight.

Look, I have a lot of respect for both camps: Juggernaught and Barry Robinson both highlight modern fighters. Both of these guys give examples that demonstrate their point of view. One point I would make, from the Dempsey Tunney fight, is that Dempsey was a modern fighter. Tyson was his understudy and lets look at some stats: Tyson was not a whole lot bigger than Jack. Both guys could pop either hand yes? Tyson's pivots, his positioning in general was gleaned from Jack...

Mike's fighting weight was around 218-225 during his prime and his height was actually around five foot nine. Not such a huge weight difference and Frazier was actually smaller than Tyson. My point is that relative weight per body size is equally important as actual weight. A 300 pound fat individual versus a guy like Dempsey who packed a tremendous amount of weight into a dense frame.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
                Had Dempsey ever faced guys big as Wilder, Wlad Klitschko, Joshua? I don`t wanna even mention Fury..

Dempsey would be a dwarf in division nowadays. He would end like Mormeck or Leapai.
                In answer to your question about whether Dempsey faced guys as big as Wilder the answer is yes. It would be hillarious if Jack were around and just for shats and giggles, put on twenty pounds of shat weight... so he could satisfy the weight gainers!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  Gene Tunney is an all-time great. No shame in that.

Tunney would box the brakes off of Klitschko or Tyson Fury.
                  Further evidence you don't know shyte about boxing !
                  moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    You're not the alternative view, you're the mainstream opinion. Almost everyone and their mom thinks that today's fighters are better just because they are bigger and have the sacred "modern sports science."

A 5'10" David Tua, with his limited skill set, could last the distance with crème de la crème Lennox Lewis.

But somehow the much more skilled and nuanced punching machine Jack Dempsey, at 6'1", wouldn't last 2 rounds with green Anthony Joshua?

Keep dropping that knowledge.

Comment

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                      Further evidence you don't know shyte about boxing !
                      Tunney is one of the smoothest boxers that ever lived. 65 wins and only 1 loss, to the legendary Harry Greb.

Big lumbering oafs like Klitschko or a light hitting Fury would have had nothing for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X