Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If PBC had belts would you respect / acknowlege them over the Alpphabet titles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ring mag tried this with little success. i support the idea but its never gonna catch on.

Comment

Originally posted by SemiGreat View Post
      ring mag tried this with little success. i support the idea but its never gonna catch on.
      totally different situation. ring ****zine didn't have the power or influence to stop promoters from continuing to feature the alphabelts.

if haymon's power and stable continues to grow and in a few years he decides to ice the alphabelts, suddenly the world's largest collection of top boxers will be ignoring the alphabelts. so how do FOUR alphabelts survive when hundreds of the world's top fighters in unison decide to completely ignore them from now on?

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
        totally different situation. ring ****zine didn't have the power or influence to stop promoters from continuing to feature the alphabelts.

if haymon's power and stable continues to grow and in a few years he decides to ice the alphabelts, suddenly the world's largest collection of top boxers will be ignoring the alphabelts. so how do FOUR alphabelts survive when hundreds of the world's top fighters in unison decide to completely ignore them from now on?
        the ring was once a quality source. when it was trying to do away with the alphabets, it had some clout. IF the abc's were going to get phased out, it would have happened long ago.

the only way to ditch the abc's is for every champ to dump those belts. NOW. we all know they wont. not unless someone goes 1st.

Comment

the ring was once a quality source. when it was trying to do away with the alphabets, it had some clout. IF the abc's were going to get phased out, it would have happened long ago.
          ring had enough clout to get some media members to recognize their belts, but they had absolutely no clout when it came to getting fighters and/or promoters to boycott the alphabelts.

the only way to ditch the abc's is for every champ to dump those belts. NOW. we all know they wont. not unless someone goes 1st.
          once PBC flicks the switch and becomes a traditional sports league, what use do they have for the alphabelts? the only use the alphabelts have for them right now is keeping them away from other promoters. but once PBC has their monopoly, it won't matter.

Comment

ring had enough clout to get some media members to recognize their belts, but they had absolutely no clout when it came to getting fighters and/or promoters to boycott the alphabelts.

once PBC flicks the switch and becomes a traditional sports league, what use do they have for the alphabelts? the only use the alphabelts have for them right now is keeping them away from other promoters. but once PBC has their monopoly, it won't matter.
            im hoping that plan or something similar happens. the groundwork has been laid. fighters, who have to pay the fee, dont seem to mind since these belts have been around since day one.

another thing to consider; the abc's make it possible for fringe titlists to make a living. 1 div champ = 1 guy getting paid. it would be feast or famine.

Comment

I've been saying for a few years now we need to ignore so-called "world" titles and find a national/regional system people respect. America used to be the center of the world for boxing; the money was here, so the best fighters from all around the world came here, so there was some credibility to calling a belt and world title and its why it's world title-or-nothing for American fans.

Things have changed. Boxing has grown all over the world, markets for fights have grown, etc. In some cases, you have guys in England making more/similar money fighting for regional belts than Americans fighting for world titles. American fans dont care about world champions on the other side of the world who never/rarely come over here. We need an America-centric title system to get American and America-based fighters names back in the public consciousness.

And if PBC wants to be the ones to do it, I'm ALL for it.

Comment

well it's a good thing it doesn't matter what about time thinks.

and he apparently isn't aware there have already been multiple lawsuits and years of legal action.

but nobody is suggesting that PBC create another sanctioning body. what's being suggested is that they'll eventually eliminate the sanctioning bodies.

yes it will take years. which is why they needed a BILLION dollars. they are prepared.

PBC doesn't need to have *all* of the best fighters. they just need more than anybody else. which when you look at their young talent, it's very obvious that 3-5 years from now, they will have, BY FAR, more top fighters than anybody.

oh right, because..... it only " matters " what you think?

my opinion is worth as much as yours genius..... fk all

explain to me how PBC introducing World Championship Titles would be any different than the current ABC bodies?

name one difference?

a casual fan would say 1 of 2 things.....

1) "you gotta be kidding, how many world champions do we have now?"..... only to be told..... " 5"

2) " wow, boxing is better now because (insert reason here)"

name that reason, because I think that 9/10 casual fans will roll their eyes and shake their head..... and like I said earlier, a slow takeover like that will drag on for years and get really nasty, and every time a PBC champ or star loses, they slip backward 2 steps

almost all of the problems within boxing are caused by having multiple sanctioning bodies..... I am suggesting that we need 1..... you are suggesting that we need 5, and that hopefully things will sort themselves out down the line

Comment

you are exactly right

and what are the chances of that happening.... ?

you got it..... 0

you would have buy them, and burn them, like I said earlier

Comment

zero, what we are arguing about could boil down to this.....

in order to setup an entity that could successfully replace the 4 existing ABC bodies..... you are suggesting that PBC may eventually sign enough top fighters to win/control all of the ABC belts..... and I am suggesting that would be a looooong treacherous, risky, approach, that would have very little positive impact/momentum..... so they should buy the belts, therefore gaining control of EVERY champion immediately

what would make more of an impact..... gaining control of EVERY champion immediately?..... or promising that you will?..... but in the meantime, becoming the 5th turd in the punch-bowl?

as I said earlier, the only team that could achieve that imho, would be..... Haymon with his money/business acumen/influence..... Hoya with GBP/The Ring (which could combine and form the governing body), and for his influence within the industry..... Showtime for CBS/influence.... NSAC and CSAC for their administration/influence, and likely part of an overseer committee

not sure if Haymon and Hoya would/could ever work together

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                      you are exactly right

and what are the chances of that happening.... ?

you got it..... 0

you would have buy them, and burn them, like I said earlier
                      and again, the abc's allows more guys to make a living.

the pros of the abc's;
                      1. more champs = more money to be distributed.
                      2. more champs = more top 10s = possible touneys
                      3. champs possibly fighting other champs = excitement

the cons;
                      1. bs sanctioning fees.
                      2. possibly political bs.
                      3. too many champs = muddy waters.

Comment

Working...
                      X