Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are the US promoters going to learn from Eddie Hearn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
    Also, Idk about the whole "learn from Hearn" argument. Sure he does a lot of things you mention and some of these guys can do the same. But you have to consider, he is also lucky enough to have a country/region who has love for the sport. They're passionate about it.
    Thats legit. I'd still say I don't see other guys in the UK doing Matchroom caliber shows as often as Hearn does so there is still more that he's doing that others just aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I wouldn't sell him short like that. I mean everything is relative so its not like there is an NFL level of parity going on with Matchroom, but in boxing I believe Hearn to be one of the few cats who's putting on a top to bottom card the most competitive fights in the business today.

I mean don't even disagree with me just go look at the boxing schedule & see all the bs, even among notable promoters in the past & currently. There are far too many red corner sweep boxing cards happening all over the globe.
      I completely disagree tbh, I agree that the match-making in boxing as a whole, is nowhere near good enough and Hearn plays his part in that.

The thing is, in the UK, you could match Bradley Skeete up with Jojo Dan, put it on PPV and the public will buy it. It's not the same in the US because the population is much bigger and it's harder to stand out, harder to make a name for yourself and sell yourself to the fans. So imo Hearn has it easy over here, he's taking advantage of the thirsty public.

He does make some good fights every now and then, but the same can be said for any promoter.

Like I said, I do think he's a very good marketer/businessman, he knows how to promote, but as far as making the best fights, not even close for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
        I know he's a divisive character and makes dubious choices/statement but he's probably about to get Khan-Brook signed off, which is going to be a huge profile/money fight.

Guys like Errol Spence, Tim Bradley, Deontay Wilder, Keith Thurman, Danny Jacobs would be HUGE stars if they were British, there is no doubt in my mind. Even someone like Boo Boo Andrade, with his personality and style, would be a big player right now.

As it is, all these stars are lagging because their promoters just do not seem to understand how promotion works in 2016/17.

Hearn seems to get it. He's a modern promoter, he's young. There is a reason why he's pushing things, rather than his Dad. He engages on social media, he does video interviews, he has a business model that MAKES MONEY.

Meanwhile, in America, the bottom has fallen out of the market, while the hideousness that is UFC is making us look stupid with their numbers

Al Haymon, let's face is, is the Emperor's New Clothes. He was lucky enough with Mayweather but cannot make another single star, despite the huge pool of talent. His talent seems to be getting rich people/networks to give him money to give to his fighters for middling fights, all the while losing their momentum, making no profit on his fights, and p*ssing away all the money. Oh, and let's not forget that the guy thinks it's a good idea to never engage with the fans or give interview. I mean, it's not like that works for Eddie Hearn, does it?

Now, Schaefer - I think he's good. He knows a great match-up. He might have shafted DLH but he's smart - but I am not sure even he can overcome the momentum lost by PBC and so many of its fighters.

Let's look at some other promoters;

Arum, let's face it, is way too ****ing old for this **** now. Barry Hearn lets Eddie run things - yet Bob is still runnings TR while DuBoef passively waits. Todd does seem switched on and could bring some modern thinking to TR but the fact that he hasn't stepped up makes me thinking he thinks like Arum. In other words, like an old-school promoter.

Golden Boy - got lucky with Canelo, the perfect storm for a star. But beside that?

Loeffler - whatever anyone says about him, he really has promoted Golovkin well. Sure, the way GGG fights is inherently attractive but trust me when I say GGG has a big profile even with casual fans in the UK. GGG sells out arenas. He ain't PPV but in all other ways, the guy is a star. But again, if he was a British fighter? He would be doing better numbers than Joshua.

Main Events - Kovalev? How does he have a much smaller profile than Golovkin?

Gary Shaw - **** knows.

The shell promotional companies Haymon uses to get around the Ali Act? They are nothing more than shell promotional companies Haymon uses to get around the Ali Act.

It's just so frustrating to me that while market (UK) continues to flourish, the one that should be the principal market (USA) is flagging so badly. Boxing NEEDS a thriving US boxing scene. The model is broken, yet no-one has any idea how to confront it. And no, I don't meant the idiocy of PBC project, which internet nerds on BoxingScene.com knew wasn't going to take off.

What are US promoters doing to get the scene back on an upswing?
        It's not the promoters.

It's the whole boxing in the US that is wrong.

From judges, refs, everyone involved is doing the wrong thing in the US. Now all you got is black fans and mexican fans in the US.

Most of them don't care about boxing, they are poor people looking for an idol to identify with. The boxing business is making those idols win by turning the boxing rules in their favour.

The result is that boxing as a sport is dying. It can't live off poor people looking for an idol. It needs action.

Also, PPVs are too expensive in the US.
        Last edited by _Maxi; 12-31-2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
          I completely disagree tbh, I agree that the match-making in boxing as a whole, is nowhere near good enough and Hearn plays his part in that.

The thing is, in the UK, you could match Bradley Skeete up with Jojo Dan, put it on PPV and the public will buy it. It's not the same in the US because the population is much bigger and it's harder to stand out, harder to make a name for yourself and sell yourself to the fans. So imo Hearn has it easy over here, he's taking advantage of the thirsty public.
          I'm not a guy living in the UK so its not as simple as you make it out to be. I say that Hearn is putting forth more competitive fights than the average bigger name fight promoter, in the UK or otherwise.

I suppose there is a handful of guys you could argue put on as many competitive fights or perhaps more, but between the caliber of competition + the event Hearn sells I don't believe anyone in the sport to be doing a better job in the boxing promotion business right now.

Comment

I agree with this. I watch UK boxing online and I think Hearn's cards are pretty stacked overall. Note I said cards, not just fights, as he seems to follow a model like the UFC where there's a dozen or so bouts in different weight classes on the card with a mix of veterans, newcomers, prospects, contenders and even style clashes. Sure, there are some mismatches mixed in with competitive fights and not every fight out of that many are going to be meaningful to the rankings in every case. Some might just be grudge matches or comeback attempts or showcase bouts or just fun fights with action boxers. But I think that's fine as it gives each card multiple reasons for a fan to be engaged.

Comment

Is it their promoters or is it the spoilt for choice American sports fan who doesn't care much for boxing as much anymore?

Comment

What gives you such a high opinion of Tommy L?

I don't think I can think of a promoter who's lost his fighter more big fights than Tommy L has for GGG. Granted its not like they are all his fault, but its hard for me to believe he's not got a hand in all these failures as well. Plus he seemed to be easily played in the Canelo vs GGG talks based on how he talked about that fight despite pundits & f#cking posters on forums like this one seeing through much of the bs from GBP's side.

And beyond that I can't think of much Tommy L adds to GGG's fights except the variety of places GGG fights. Everything positive about the GGG train seems grassroots-ish & generated by GGG just being a fun guy to watch & his humorous appeal in post fight interviews. I've always felt like that combo is the perfect storm for mainstream popularity or just bigger popularity in boxing since boxing is such a aggressive & intimidating to many casuals. The highly destructive guy who has a damn near cute talking voice (Tyson, Manny & GGG come to mind first & foremost although I'm sure there are others) fits together well & certainly better than a guy with a voice as mean as those guys fight.
                I don't think he does a lot of things better than other promoters, but he seems to be one of the better ones at keeping fighters active and fighting around the world. I really don't think it's his fault that GGG hasn't had the fights he needs, I think that in spite of fighters flat out avoiding GGG he has kept him relevant in the boxing public and has successfully avoided GGG becoming an obscure title holder.

I remember him doing a decent job with Wladimir Klitschko, in terms of activity too. I think activity is one of the most important factors to keep the sport healthy.

For example, PBC tried to solve the accessibility problem in the sport, but so far have failed keeping their roster of fighters active. I think activity is more important than free access to fights, particularly from the top fighters.

That's how you develop stories and challengers that feed public interest enough for them to want to pay and see the fights.

Comment

Thats legit. I'd still say I don't see other guys in the UK doing Matchroom caliber shows as often as Hearn does so there is still more that he's doing that others just aren't.
                  This also brings me to my next point. Im not gonna act like Im all knowledgeable but I don't think the competition over there is as crowded as here? Correct me if Im wrong.

When we talk UK promoters all we hear is Hearn and Warren. Who else is there? On this side we got Arum, De La Hoya, DiBella, Schaefer and **** knows who else.

Comment

Also, Idk about the whole "learn from Hearn" argument. Sure he does a lot of things you mention and some of these guys can do the same. But you have to consider, he is also lucky enough to have a country/region who has love for the sport. They're passionate about it.
                    The thing is, British boxing was in a massive lull for a few years too. Hearn is lucky in the sense that he markets to the football (soccer) fans over here, who are migrating over again to boxing, just like they did for Hatton. They are the casual fans.

He's also lucky with the emergence of Joshua, who is already a massive cash cow. That doesn't happen by luck, Hearn was smart enough to ensure AJ gets a huge platform. Honestly, it is hard for me to explain how big events in Britain are at the moment.

Hearn also gives REGULAR interviews with IFL TV, which generate big, big hits. Hearn basically is a celebrity in his own right - which doesn't sit well with some people but it's damn sight better PROMOTING that the recluse that is Haymon does.

Hearn is the only promoter in the world that is on an upswing. Everyone else is bogged down by short-termism and just a basic lack of effort in helping promoters the fighters.

Comment

This also brings me to my next point. Im not gonna act like Im all knowledgeable but I don't think the competition over there is as crowded as here? Correct me if Im wrong.

When we talk UK promoters all we hear is Hearn and Warren. Who else is there? On this side we got Arum, De La Hoya, DiBella, Schaefer and **** knows who else.
                      The US is 5x bigger so it stands to reason we'd have more big promoters, but I'm not so sure we have 5x the number of Hearn & Warren caliber promoters. Although maybe the US versions of Hearn & Warren are more active so it works out that way instead. Hell maybe the fact US promoters are more active is part of the problem in the watered down boxing product they are trying to sell.

Main thing for me doe is the issue & why that is the issue notwithstanding I believe Hearn is the best representation of what boxing can be & should be for the betterment of the sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X