Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are the US promoters going to learn from Eddie Hearn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When are the US promoters going to learn from Eddie Hearn?

I know he's a divisive character and makes dubious choices/statement but he's probably about to get Khan-Brook signed off, which is going to be a huge profile/money fight.

Guys like Errol Spence, Tim Bradley, Deontay Wilder, Keith Thurman, Danny Jacobs would be HUGE stars if they were British, there is no doubt in my mind. Even someone like Boo Boo Andrade, with his personality and style, would be a big player right now.

As it is, all these stars are lagging because their promoters just do not seem to understand how promotion works in 2016/17.

Hearn seems to get it. He's a modern promoter, he's young. There is a reason why he's pushing things, rather than his Dad. He engages on social media, he does video interviews, he has a business model that MAKES MONEY.

Meanwhile, in America, the bottom has fallen out of the market, while the hideousness that is UFC is making us look stupid with their numbers

Al Haymon, let's face is, is the Emperor's New Clothes. He was lucky enough with Mayweather but cannot make another single star, despite the huge pool of talent. His talent seems to be getting rich people/networks to give him money to give to his fighters for middling fights, all the while losing their momentum, making no profit on his fights, and p*ssing away all the money. Oh, and let's not forget that the guy thinks it's a good idea to never engage with the fans or give interview. I mean, it's not like that works for Eddie Hearn, does it?

Now, Schaefer - I think he's good. He knows a great match-up. He might have shafted DLH but he's smart - but I am not sure even he can overcome the momentum lost by PBC and so many of its fighters.

Let's look at some other promoters;

Arum, let's face it, is way too ****ing old for this **** now. Barry Hearn lets Eddie run things - yet Bob is still runnings TR while DuBoef passively waits. Todd does seem switched on and could bring some modern thinking to TR but the fact that he hasn't stepped up makes me thinking he thinks like Arum. In other words, like an old-school promoter.

Golden Boy - got lucky with Canelo, the perfect storm for a star. But beside that?

Loeffler - whatever anyone says about him, he really has promoted Golovkin well. Sure, the way GGG fights is inherently attractive but trust me when I say GGG has a big profile even with casual fans in the UK. GGG sells out arenas. He ain't PPV but in all other ways, the guy is a star. But again, if he was a British fighter? He would be doing better numbers than Joshua.

Main Events - Kovalev? How does he have a much smaller profile than Golovkin?

Gary Shaw - **** knows.

The shell promotional companies Haymon uses to get around the Ali Act? They are nothing more than shell promotional companies Haymon uses to get around the Ali Act.

It's just so frustrating to me that while market (UK) continues to flourish, the one that should be the principal market (USA) is flagging so badly. Boxing NEEDS a thriving US boxing scene. The model is broken, yet no-one has any idea how to confront it. And no, I don't meant the idiocy of PBC project, which internet nerds on BoxingScene.com knew wasn't going to take off.

What are US promoters doing to get the scene back on an upswing?

The rampant inactivity is killing US boxing. Many fighters are seldom seen. Promoters are producing mere random fights that never lead to anything. Fans have no story to follow. You see fighters now, then disappear for long periods of time or reappear fighting Yuri Foreman types. It's pathetic.

Comment

I think a mix of Eddie Hearn and Loeffer makes for terrific promoter. Schaffer was good, the problem was he was a too selfish, which eventually brought upon the cold war, the split from Golden Boy and unethical business practices which almost broke down Golden Boy Promotions.

Comment

Agree. Hearn, love him or hate him, is doing a lot of things right to be in a spot to be loved or hated by so many in the first place. I agree that Schaefer is about the closest thing to what I call a event promoter vs simply a fight promoter in the US right now. GBP used to put on events when Schaefer was there. Arum used to do events. Don King is maybe the king of putting on events in boxing during this era of boxing, but that version of King is long gone. But regardless who anyone thinks is doing it right its clear that few promoters are doing it right these days & either promoters need to lose some power in the game to allow for stronger matchmaking or they need to pump the gas a little more if they are going to retain so much control over a boxers career trajectory with long term deals.

Comment

I agree.

U.S promoters shoot themselves in the foot daily. I think it's a big reason boxing is in the gutter

Comment

It's not like Hearn makes many competitive fights, but he's a very good marketer.

Comment

He was lucky enough with Mayweather but cannot make another single star
              He didn't even make Mayweather tbh. Mayweather made himself. Haymon had **** to do with it. All he did was leech off money.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
                I think a mix of Eddie Hearn and Loeffer makes for terrific promoter.
                What gives you such a high opinion of Tommy L?

I don't think I can think of a promoter who's lost his fighter more big fights than Tommy L has for GGG. Granted its not like they are all his fault, but its hard for me to believe he's not got a hand in all these failures as well. Plus he seemed to be easily played in the Canelo vs GGG talks based on how he talked about that fight despite pundits & f#cking posters on forums like this one seeing through much of the bs from GBP's side.

And beyond that I can't think of much Tommy L adds to GGG's fights except the variety of places GGG fights. Everything positive about the GGG train seems grassroots-ish & generated by GGG just being a fun guy to watch & his humorous appeal in post fight interviews. I've always felt like that combo is the perfect storm for mainstream popularity or just bigger popularity in boxing since boxing is such a aggressive & intimidating to many casuals. The highly destructive guy who has a damn near cute talking voice (Tyson, Manny & GGG come to mind first & foremost although I'm sure there are others) fits together well & certainly better than a guy with a voice as mean as those guys fight.

Comment

Also, Idk about the whole "learn from Hearn" argument. Sure he does a lot of things you mention and some of these guys can do the same. But you have to consider, he is also lucky enough to have a country/region who has love for the sport. They're passionate about it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
                    It's not like Hearn makes many competitive fights, but he's a very good marketer.
                    I wouldn't sell him short like that. I mean everything is relative so its not like there is an NFL level of parity going on with Matchroom, but in boxing I believe Hearn to be one of the few cats who's putting on a top to bottom card the most competitive fights in the business today.

I mean don't even disagree with me just go look at the boxing schedule & see all the bs, even among notable promoters in the past & currently. There are far too many red corner sweep boxing cards happening all over the globe.

Comment

Working...
                    X