Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is a division considered "weak" when there is 1 dominant champ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is a division considered "weak" when there is 1 dominant champ?

Thats the feeling I am getting. Thoughts?..

No, a division is considered weak when it's devoid of pedigree, p4p fighters and the top 5 is garbage. Pretty simple.

Comment

Depends on your preconceived opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        A division is "weak" if it fits someone's argument on here.

There is no real barometer.

What makes a strong division is lots of even competition and elite competition at that or close to it.

I have been around boxing for a while though and thus rely heavily on my knowledge and recognition of the sport over resumes or marketability of fighters, wheras casuals tend to judge only by marketability first, resume second, and have no ability to use the eye test. That's why to a casual, a division with no names is a weak division. To me, a division can be full of "names" and be weak.

Right now, I consider the ww division weak, and the hw division strong, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          A division is "weak" if it fits someone's argument on here.

There is no real barometer.

What makes a strong division is lots of even competition and elite competition at that or close to it.

I have been around boxing for a while though and thus rely heavily on my knowledge and recognition of the sport over resumes or marketability of fighters, wheras casuals tend to judge only by marketability first, resume second, and have no ability to use the eye test. That's why to a casual, a division with no names is a weak division. To me, a division can be full of "names" and be weak.

Right now, I consider the ww division weak, and the hw division strong, for example.
          If Golovkin moves to Super- middle and Charlo moves to middle it becomes a strong division

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
            No, a division is considered weak when it's devoid of pedigree, p4p fighters and the top 5 is garbage. Pretty simple.
            Well Klitchko was dominate for YEARS and it was considered weak until he lost then all of a sudden its alive and thriving. Hell we just saw Andy Ruiz fight for title and get robbed lol But regardless, how can a dominate champ get props if hes dominating the top ten? think of it this way, one of the "weak" top 10 guys woulda been champ if there wasnt a dominate champ...

Comment

A division is weak when a battered,broken fighter,can move up and win a title there.

Like Cotto was able to win a title at 160.

Comment

Well Klitchko was dominate for YEARS and it was considered weak until he lost then all of a sudden its alive and thriving. Hell we just saw Andy Ruiz fight for title and get robbed lol But regardless, how can a dominate champ get props if hes dominating the top ten? think of it this way, one of the "weak" top 10 guys woulda been champ if there wasnt a dominate champ...
                I wouldn't call Heavyweight a strong division even though there are fights I'd like to see.

Comment

I reckon this is about the middleweight division. Which ones of these fighters do you think is worth a damn:

Daniel Jacobs
                  Billy Joe Saunders
                  David Lemieux
                  Andy Lee
                  Peter Quillin
                  Chris Eubank Jr
                  Ryota Murata
                  Curtis Stevens
                  Hassan N’Dam
                  Ievgen Khytrov
                  Sam Soliman
                  Last edited by KingHippo; 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Also if the contenders are not facing each other. Contenders need to face other contenders to build their resumes and separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

Working...
                    X