Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. in Talks For May 6 - at 165-Pounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone one know the potential venue? Las Vegas, Mexico City, Dallas? Plus Chavez is working with Memo? Will there be testing/ Both guys have histories of fighting where there is no mandatory testing.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxingitis View Post
      GGG vs Jacobs and Chocolatito vs Cuadras in March on HBO PPV. Real fights.
      Official link and source pls.

thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rustyjaguar View Post
        Does anyone one know the potential venue? Las Vegas, Mexico City, Dallas? Plus Chavez is working with Memo? Will there be testing/ Both guys have histories of fighting where there is no mandatory testing.
        I'd guess Dallas, that way it can hold a crowd of 70,000+.

Chavez basically never dies testing, not sure if he'll agree to it. Canelo always does testing, the only time he didn't was for Smith after Smith refused to go ahead with testing.

Comment

• Originally posted by batista84 View Post
          So it's a joke if a 160 GGG fights Chavez Jr. but it's a bigger joke if a 154 Canelo fights Chavez JR. you don't make sense at all son.

Bestr fighters at MW? Who are those I only see **** at MW besides GGG there's no one else, it's a ****ty division, GGG is gonna KO Jacobs easy time if the fight happens.

He didn't ducked Trout or Lara at LMW, wth you talking about? oh I should know you must tbe from the new fans that think Charlo would beat Canelo, lmao Canelo KO's Charlo and I'm not gonna break down the fight for you, already did it on another post. Only serious threat to Canelo in LMW is Lara and Andrade. peace.
          Read what I said again, that should tell you why it's a joke. Canelo doesnt want anything to do with GGG, Andrade, the Charlo brothers or a rematch with Lara. Canelo didnt even want to try and take the belt from Saunders. He is averse to taking risks.

Chavez jnr will be an easy victory for Canelo

Comment

• Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
            Numbers will only prove that Mexican fans are interested. Canelo v Smith did about twice the numbers as Kovalev v Ward. Which was a bigger fight?
            Canelo vs Smith was a bigger fight than Kovalev vs Ward.

Kovalev vs Ward was the best fight of 2016.

Bigger and better matchups are different, the moment they sell a ton of tickets, they make great revenue, they sell a lot of PPV's that's how you know what a big fight is.

Primary Expample: Mayweather vs Pacquiao is the biggesgt fight of boxing century, yet it wasn't the best fight because neither of them fought in their prime 3-4 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
              Read what I said again, that should tell you why it's a joke. Canelo doesnt want anything to do with GGG, Andrade, the Charlo brothers or a rematch with Lara. Canelo didnt even want to try and take the belt from Saunders. He is averse to taking risks.

so he would be for GGG and Charlo, according to your logic..................right?

Put Charlo in there with Chavez Jr. @165 and let's see who wins that fight, lol.

Comment

U do know that when Chavez was @160 and on a winning streak looooooong time ago, Chavez was considered the #1 MW of the world(on course to fight Martinez) and Canelo by then was fighting at the time the Rhyan Rhodes of the world?

WTF you talking about, at that time Canelo had not proved **** and he didn't have the ratings Chavez Jr. had back then, fight didn't drew interest back then.

Fight is bigger now, and numbers will demosntrate it, guaranteed.
                And Chavez doesn't have the ratings that Canelo has now. What weight class does he even fight in? When was his last win over at least a B fighter? Can he even get down to 165 anymore? If he can will be be healthy at that weight? This fight came out of nowhere and it is happening at a time where Chavez career is in shambles.

The only intrigue is Canelo jumping 2 weight classes to make the fight happen. That I can respect because many fighters these days aren't willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make the big fights happen.

And I'm not getting into a numbers debate because everyone with common sense knows that this was the biggest fight in boxing that doesn't involve Floyd Mayweather. I'm just questioning the timing of it. At least let Chavez get a belt at 168 so they can fight for something meaningful. The problem is I doubt he can beat any of the title holders in that division.

Comment

Canelo vs Smith was a bigger fight than Kovalev vs Ward.

Kovalev vs Ward was the best fight of 2016.

Bigger and better matchups are different, the moment they sell a ton of tickets, they make great revenue, they sell a lot of PPV's that's how you know what a big fight is.

Primary Expample: Mayweather vs Pacquiao is the biggesgt fight of boxing century, yet it wasn't the best fight because neither of them fought in their prime 3-4 years ago.
                  I guess we're arguing semantics here. To me, the bigger fight is the more important fight, between the best fighters. Canelo could fight any bum and put up the best numbers. My thought is that Kovalev and Ward was the biggest fight of the year, even if it didn't sell as well as others.

My definition of best fight, is the most competitive, enjoyable to watch fight. Something like Gonzalez v Cuadras comes to mind in that aspect. A FOTY candidate is the best fight.

I'm a fight fan, not a finance guy. I don't care too much about 'the numbers". Canelo will always win in that department. He's Mexican and has a huge Mexican following. I just have a hard time saying his fight against Smith was bigger than a fight between two top-five, undefeated champions for three belts, was bigger, just because one guy has more fans

Comment

• Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post

Canelo has ALREADY beaten what 3-4 of the current top 10 154lbers in the world. Already fought Floyd, Cotto, Lara, Trout, and is on the verge of fighting a man 2 weight classes bigger then him and he's ONLY 26 years old. While GGG is 35 and has fought who? Has moved up or down in weight when? Has taken on what risks? Yet it's Canelo who is averse to taking risks? lord you funny LMAO

Comment

• I'm just wondering whether Chavez Jr makes it to May 6th without finding some reason to pull out, and, if he does, what he'll weigh in at (definitely not 165). And I also suppose that Canelo won't be able to rehydrate back below 160 once he's had a taste of a more comfortable weight

If he fights Golovkin in September then I don't really mind this tbh. He could even squeeze in a third fight and at that point who cares if one of them was a sideshow

Comment

Working...
                      X