Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Sergey Kovalev PPV Show Barely Cracked 160K Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
    Roc Nation (for boxing) seems like they love to lose millions.

But I think both promoters tried hard to promote this fight even if Main Events' methods were a little old school and Roc Nation just doesn't know what they are doing.

It was a tough sell. Neither guy has any mainstream appeal and the whole country is down on boxing.

main events jsut doesn't have the budget. kathy duva is on record saying that she's budgeted 5000 grand for marketing for kovalev's fights in the past.

RN is mostly to blame for letting their guy rake them over the coals . he did it for tuneups as well. they're looking to make an investment in andre ward, and they thnink they have the msucle to turn him into the next PPV star [the next floyd mayweather.]

floyd mayweather was a perfect storm of marketing. he played a villain role extremely well. in his prime it was tough to put a glove on him. ward's just an *******, he's not villain. you can put a glove on him, he'll just hold your other glove so you can't do damage, and if he gets hit he'll weather a storm and find another way to beat you.

floyd would just outclass peope with his boxing, and it was pleasing on the eyes. a casual fan could see the big swing and misses that floyd would elicit from his opponents, or the picture perfect counters. ward does things on the inside and with turning and holding that make him a top shelf operator, but it's not nearly the eye pleasing style that floyd had.

people elect big fighters. you've got to have "it" to sell to casual fans. and casual fans decide what "it" is!

floyd was a villain. people hated him and they couldnt' do a damn thing about it. he made people jealous. manny was an underdog. here's this tiny little asian guy with a knockout punch beating up welterweights. people were drawn to the novelty. oscar was just bloody good looking and had a left hook for the history book. ali divided an entire country, and was a paragon of the racial and SES clash of the civil rights era and the decade or so that followed it. mike tyson acted like the guy in a back alley that you wish you never saw! and you had his style, and his fall from grace, to bolster that idea.

true, crossover, bonafide stars are elected. they are not produced. ward's not going to crossover and become a star unless he can do something in the ring to make him a more palatable commodity to the casual fan.

Comment

• That's unexpectedly low.

Which is why it's kind of surprising why they'd favor Ward with the gift decision. The people who actually ordered the fight will be less inclined to fork out money to watch someone like Ward fight. Kovalev's drawing stock could have been on a serious rise if he had finished Ward in the 2nd round. Hopefully he stops Ward in the rematch but there will likely be less viewers.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        oscar was just bloody good looking
        I was all into your post then I got to this and lost it.

Comment

• Damn in the 160's, I would think it would at the least do 200k.

I guess to the casual fan, there are no superstars outside of Nelo, Floyd and Manny. Either of those 3 fighting each other will smash any UFC PPV at the moment. Match any of the above 3 against top tier names, but not household names like Cotto, GGG, Crawford, Khan, Broner, etc. and you are likely to approach the million mark.

MMA, at the moment, creates superstars. Tank Abbot, Gracies, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddel, BJ Penn, GSP, Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar, Miesha Tate, Rounda Rousey, Connor McGregor, etc. All these people took the baton and kept polarizing the sport.

Who is going to take the boxing baton on and run?

Comment

• if anything other than an idictment of the inadequacy of duva and RN to promote what should be a megafight, this is a major indicment of the boxingfanbase.

200k people post on this website. why 160k buys?

which of you didn't suppor this fight? 40K of you at the very least, and that's if only people who post on bscene are allowed to buy the PPV .

do duva and RN really need to market to you, the guys posting on a boxing forum at 3:00pm on a monday? or are you slipping a bit in your fan duties if you're not buying boxing's ultimate fight?

keep in mind that there was no better fight to be made in boxing. and it flopped. think about that for a minute, particularly in the context of the message that sends to promotors and networks.

how much do you really care about boxing if you didn't order this fight? i'm definitely not made of money. i went to the fight. when i got home i ordered the fight so i could score it before the HBO replay came out. that's how much i appreciated what these guys were willing to do, and what the promotors were trying to do. i'm not sure you can call yourself a fan of boxing if you could afford to pay for this one, and diudn't. nothing wrong with keepingyour priorities where they should be. i have no family, and i'm only responsible for me. if you need to spend money elsewhere, then spend it by all means on the important stuff. but if you call yourself a real fan, and you could buy this fight, but you didn't, then i question your love of the game, and your understanding of what the promotors were trying to do here. they trhew you a bone, and you shunned them. and don
            't get mad when they sell you guerrero and victor oriz, or 9000 year old shane mosley and chris algieri.

Comment

• Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
              Mayweather brought Haymon to power and glorified open ducking and cherry picking. Plus he's a terrible promoter investing in guys like Bey, Ishe, and J'leon, he's done a better job promoting MMA by constantly mentioning Mcgregor.
              Casuals don't know or care about NONE OF THAT people want Entertainment probably more so out of of the ring this ERA. You can have a 100% KO Ratio if you can't sell yourself nobody cares. You can fight the very best every fight if casuals don't know who you or your "TOP LEVEL COMPETITION" are nobody will watch as seen with these **** PPV Numbers for 2 ELITE FIGHTERS

Sounds like you just want to rant about Mayweather and Haymon when this has nothing to do with them they had ZERO to do with Ward vs Kovalev
              Last edited by sicko; 11-28-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                ward's just an *******, he's not villain. you can put a glove on him, he'll just hold your other glove so you can't do damage, and if he gets hit he'll weather a storm and find another way to beat you.

floyd would just outclass peope with his boxing, and it was pleasing on the eyes. a casual fan could see the big swing and misses that floyd would elicit from his opponents, or the picture perfect counters. ward does things on the inside and with turning and holding that make him a top shelf operator, but it's not nearly the eye pleasing style that floyd had.
                This is the problem. Ward doesn't carry the action that people wanna see. He wins ugly, he needs to be re interpreted in order to give him the win. The entire rules of boxing must be put on his favour for us to think he's not cheating the entire time.

Ward's style sucks. People have been robbed too much in boxing. People is looking for other sports. Only the assh'les remain buying boxing.

Comment

• Andre Ward being guaranteed $5 million + is LOSING MONEY for Roc Nation.

Comment

• no one saw the robbery. this is good.

Comment

• lol ggg did 150k by himself.ward is a ****ty draw.ggg vs canelo needs to happen for the good of boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X